Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Muslin

Do you use Muslin normally as a backing material, background material or try not to use it all?

When I started quilting - less than a year ago - I thought Muslin was the backing of choice - now I am not so sure.

I have been using a coordinating backing material although it is much more expensive than muslin.

Thoughts???

Cindy

I usually try to buy a good quality muslin and hand dye it to coordinate with the top, how often is the back really displayed?

I tend to use muslin for the backing when it's a wall hanging or table runner, but for lap quilts or bed quilts I use a coordinating fabric. I'm just not sure how muslin would hold up with constant cuddling under a quilt. With a wall hanging or table runner, there wouldn't be a lot of handling of the quilt. Besides, I like the look of coordinating fabric for backing that will be seen a lot. JMHO

I only use muslin for foundation piecing. I never use it for backing. I spend too much $ on the quilt to not make the back nice:> I prefer co-ordinating fabric that goes with the front.

Blog Entries
    It's just a matter of preference. I haven't used much muslin in a long time. But, with the economy, I think I will be using more in the front of the quilts. I sometimes use it for the back of wallhangings. My favorite is Kaufman Kona Mulsin.

I love pretty backings though. If I shop well, I can get decent prices on nice brand name prints for the back from online shops. A little more expensive than the Kona muslin, but still about half as much as the local quilt shops.

Blog Entries
    i very seldom use muslin for backings, but i do use a lot of muslin, for foundations, for some blocks, for embroidery, for printing pictures on, for making labels, seems like i am always needing it, and always buying yards of it, it is like the flour and sugar in the house...or maybe the salt and pepper...the main staple of the sewing room. but i get pretty creative with my backs.

I use muslin for so many things and I am planning on using a hand dyed muslin for backing on my grandson's quilt...

Power Poster
    A lot depends on the muslin one uses.

I love using muslin on the backs of anything I make - I hand quilt and love to see it - it shows up so well on muslin. Never thought of dyeing it to match the front - good idea!!:)

Blog Entries
    For me, good quality muslin is a must. I use it a lot in my quilting! I'm not saying that it has to cost a fortune, but I avoid muslin that has a loose weave and feels rough to the touch.

I don't usually use muslin for the backing but I do quilting for others that use it and I am growing more partial to it. The better quality really does up nice. Shows off quilting too.

Blog Entries
    I use muslin for projects and for purse or tote linings. I prefer muslin colored fabric for my quilts. I buy it on clearance for about the same price as good quality muslin.

Blog Entries
    I use muslin for piecing, quilt backs and will be giving it a try for dyeing and fabric painting too :D:D:D

I never use muslin. Like to use prints.

I don't use muslin on the back. I like color on the back so I use a coordinating fabric.

I use muslin all the time for backs of quilts. It feels so soft after it has been washed. It is also inexpensive. I also use muslin for backgrounds for tops. Since I got so much fabric when I was in Georgia I will probably use a lot of that yardage for backs and hold off on muslin for a while.

I use muslin for backing everything but baby quilts. For those I use fabric that matches the quilt. I also use it for background for applique, especially 30's fabric.

I use muslin all the time bleached, unbleached, and also tye dye I think that it makes everything look old fashioned

For me, this is one of the must have's. Purchase either when on sale or with a coupon by the bolt. Use it for everything.

I use a good quality muslin when handquilting because the hand stitching looks so nice on the back.

I don't use Muslin to back quilts. I hardly use it at all.
    I like to use a patterned fabric on the backs that coordinate (sort of) with the front.

I do a lot of FMQ and good quality muslin really shows it well. If I have a quilt that I can work in a muslin border for FMQ, I'm happy.

Use both Kona, print fabric, also color sheets. :)

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltMania
    I use muslin all the time for backs of quilts. It feels so soft after it has been washed. It is also inexpensive. I also use muslin for backgrounds for tops. Since I got so much fabric when I was in Georgia I will probably use a lot of that yardage for backs and hold off on muslin for a while.
    Is there a good place in Georgia to buy fabric? I will be visiting my son there soon. I'm new at quilting and have never used muslin. I use a coordinating fabric for the back.

Blog Entries
    Only use prints on backing so that quilt can be enjoyed on both sides.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast