Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Muslin >

Muslin

Muslin

Old 08-07-2010, 07:17 AM

Most of my wall hangings have muslin backing... I have a hard time putting expensive fabric on the back of something you are not going to see... I also use it in post card making..
Old 08-07-2010, 07:33 AM

I don't use muslin for backings or in any way in an actual quilt. I use it for trying new techniques (surface design mostly, but also piecing), making sample blocks, testing new threads and tension settings, proofing new stamps, that kind of thing. It's the textile equivalent of newsprint for me....scratch paper. :D
Old 08-07-2010, 07:52 AM

I've always had a hard time finding light colored fabric to use for backgrounds in my quilt blocks, so I use muslin. Works great for me. I used it in the very first quilt I made. It gets a lot of use and a lot of washing and it holds up just fine. I love it. Never have used it for a backing, but will consider it in the future. Maybe even dye it. I've thought about it before, just never have.

So many of you have said you don't use it: WHY? Any particular reason? I'm anxious to hear this. I thought muslin was a good fabric. As long as you don't get the really inexpensive quality stuff. I keep bolts of muslin on hand for many different reasons.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:58 AM

I also have a hard time finding light-colored fabric suitable for backgrounds...maybe muslin would be a good choice for that.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:16 AM
Power Poster

For the backing, only colored muslin of a good quality. I like the look of unbleached muslin for applique background. It gives a block that traditional use-up-what-you-got look. Well worn, I guess.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:49 AM

When I did all hand quilting I used muslin on everything. Now I use a coordinating fabric on the back of Lap Quilts and bed spreads, but I still use muslin on wall hanging, table topper, things you don't really see the back.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:13 AM

I am somewhat new to quilting and I found out that all muslin is not created equal. I bought a few yards and liked it so when Joann's had a bolt sale, I bought one bleached and one non bleached. I washed and dried it to get the shrinkage over with and the quality is not what I expected. That being said, I went ahead and used it for the back of several quilts and I have to agree that it is soft and snuggy and I really like it. I wouldn't use it for much of anything else except foundation piecing but I am happy with it.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:36 AM

i bought a fabric called super muslin from Walmart and i really like working with it. It is smooth and holds it's shape very well and my free motion quilting makes some great patterns when i use muslin. The only thing i notice is that because it is a little stiff, i'm not sure how cuddly it is. I made sure i didn't do too much quilting on it or it would be stiffer still. I know it will hold up through time tho...it is very strong.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:12 AM

I stopped using muslin when I started quilting my own stuff. It shows all the starts and stops not to mention any other glitches that you might have. Now I use backing that have lots of design kind of like camoflage!
Old 08-07-2010, 12:37 PM

i love tea dyed muslin. i use it on the backs of quilts. usually buy the 90 wide.

i use matching fabrics for the backs of baby quilts.

i have used bleached muslin in blocks of quilts..instead of white.