Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Must buy a new machine ASAP >

Must buy a new machine ASAP

Must buy a new machine ASAP

Old 04-07-2011, 12:22 AM
QM
Power Poster

Vintage Singers are great, as are some others. For a low budget, I would definitely go with garage sale used. My friend at the LQS buys and tunes up machine to use in her classes. She says they generally run her about $25 - $50.

When I started quilting, I was told (falsely) that I could not get a walking foot for my beloved 20 year old Viking, so my son now has that. I bought a highly advertized $3K machine that was dead in 3 years. The motor froze up in the middle of quilting. DH had to cut the needle to get the quilt out of the machine! I was told $500 plus labor and a 3 month wait for a new motor. I love my current Janome, but it's way over your budget.

Several people I know have gotten very good older machines from Pfaff, Singer and Viking for peanuts at garage sales.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:36 AM

help! all you wonderful folks (who kept me up again until 2 a.m. I am looking (have it here somewhere ) for a quilt called "aunt betty's attic" all I really need are the dimensions if the blocks to cut first! This is such a wonderful quilt for calicos and 1930s fabrics, Thanks for any help you can give me! if I knew how to post pics I sure would like to share with you! froggy
Old 04-07-2011, 06:46 AM

What ever you decide let us know and post pictures...I'm a visual person.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:01 AM

You should ask Billy aka lostn51 he knows every thing about these older machines.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:27 AM

well dotty....looks like you have a lot to ponder over all these suggestions! LOL, but Amazon has some great deals on the better newer machines and ebay (if you want to sweat/be nervous) has a lot...BUT walmart does have the brothers/Singer for a great price under $300.00. Happy Shopping!
Old 04-07-2011, 04:40 PM

Today I got an almost brand-new Elna from my friend Barbara.
Very little $$ and some barter.

It is a great simple solution, and I've been sewing all afternoon.

The gals in my quilting circle think I will be happier and do more with a computer-driven machine. I just don't have the energy to shop & make that decision now.

I'm going to get a free estimate on the old Kenmores. If repair is minimal, I can give them away or donate to a local charity. Thanks EVERYONE!!
Old 04-07-2011, 04:46 PM

This is excellent advice... keep a look into the thrift stores .. some of them will even keep a book and call you when something comes in you're looking for.. also, check your dealer.. if you think about all the fancy stitches that are on the newer machines that we don't or seldom use... a straight stitch with maybe a zizzaz is all you really need. Nothing fancy...

I have a couple of Janome's and they can't be beat... I have taken two classes and both of the teacher's used Janome's..

You really don't need to spend much money... wished I knew this long ago..

Elna's are excellent machines...especially the older one's.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:32 PM

My other machine is an Elna and I really love it too. They are interchangeable so the feet and stuff work together. I think you will love it.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:13 PM

why not join and post an ad on freecycle.net? I posted and received a free machine for my daughter in a cabinet.... I was afraid to let her learn on my new machine. The one we had given to us is a 1984 white fair lady..... and purrs like a kitten....
Old 04-07-2011, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Rntraveler
This is excellent advice... keep a look into the thrift stores .. some of them will even keep a book and call you when something comes in you're looking for.. also, check your dealer.. if you think about all the fancy stitches that are on the newer machines that we don't or seldom use... a straight stitch with maybe a zizzaz is all you really need. Nothing fancy...

I have a couple of Janome's and they can't be beat... I have taken two classes and both of the teacher's used Janome's..

You really don't need to spend much money... wished I knew this long ago..

Elna's are excellent machines...especially the older one's.
I just saw an older singer at a thrift store for $20 in a case... with manual, and was spotlessly clean!