Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Bernina 830 is a pain! >

My Bernina 830 is a pain!

My Bernina 830 is a pain!

Old 03-12-2013, 04:25 PM

Angry

Originally Posted by Patti25314 View Post
What your dealer has told you is not true. I am in training this week and improvements to the 830 are continuing. Also, our shop has a new 780, and I think they are more in the 10K range. If you have a problem, contact your dealer. If they can't fix it, they should send it back to Bernina. I love my Berninas and just hate it when others have problems with theirs.
I bought mine in July 2012 and have had nothing but problems with it. I was practice sewing on it when I kept getting the broken thread message (thread was not broken), then the needle threader broke and the bobbin was stuck open. I had to take it in and waited about 3 months to get it back. Now I tried to use the embroidery option and the machine won't recognize the module. I just want my money back. I paid an arm and a leg for this machine plus traded in 2 other machines to get what was supposed to be a great machine. I wouldn't recommend a Bernina to a dog.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:53 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I started this post 1 1/2 years ago and found out it was my own fault for the thread breaking. I was using too small of a needle. That was the problem all along. I don't need cones. I just need the right size needle to match the thread. Duh! I have had no problems since Tom, the dealer, put a bigger needle in my machine. I love my Bernina 830 now and would not sell it back to the company even if they begged!!
Old 03-12-2013, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I started this post 1 1/2 years ago and found out it was my own fault for the thread breaking. I was using too small of a needle. That was the problem all along. I don't need cones. I just need the right size needle to match the thread. Duh! I have had no problems since Tom, the dealer, put a bigger needle in my machine. I love my Bernina 830 now and would not sell it back to the company even if they begged!!
So glad you got this all figured out. I love my 830 too and was sad for you and all the problems. It is a dream machine.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:09 AM

I know these posts are a bit old but I have only just found this site. I had one of the first 830's to come into the UK and thought I was lucky, how wrong I was. I did get another after 6 months but like others it hard to know who’s had it most, me or the dealer. I have just written a letter to the importer for the UK to see what he's going to do for me but was wondering what happened to the one aunt eunice sent back.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:55 PM

I think I may be a little help to you. I had the same problem with the thread breaking all the time. I now thread it with the thread going through one of the towers on the spool think then I put it through a little whole that is in the plastic thing that is by the thread tower. After that I thread it just like the directions say. Totally no thread breakage now. As far as the one foot goes I think it might be the pressure of the foot itself. I hope that some how this will help you. Just hang in there. I was so discouraged with the machine I have and sad to because my son bought it for me. Please let me know if this helped at all. Love in Christ, Delpha (Dee)
Old 04-09-2013, 08:10 PM

I spoke to a dealer a couple of years ago when the new 830 was just coming out and he told me then that Bernina was having a LOT of problems with this machine. I noticed that several people on this board were having problems as well. For what it costs, there should be no problems with that machine. Good Luck and just know, it's not just you having problems.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:28 AM

I have a Bernina 730 like yours. It has had problems since it was new. The dealer says there are no bad machines it is the electronics. I finaly gave up and bought a Janome. No problems and less than half the cost.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:52 AM

Hi, I just joined this blog and found it because I was searching the web to see if any one but me was having BIG problems with their Bernina 830e. I have had the same problems as many others have. I can't use the BSR because the thread breaks every 4 to 5 stitches. I have tried all brands of thread. The dealer told me not to use Coats & Clark, but it works best if it is the new XP. I can not sew at all with the black front plate on because of the thread breaking when sewing any thing. The thread breaks inside the area above the needle I was constantly taking it off. The automatic threader will not work it has been replaced twice. The thread get tangles around the bobbin case It has been replaced twice also. I could have almost bought a second cheap machine for what I have in repair bills. I thought long and hard before I bought this machine. I took some money from an inheritance and paid cash for this machine. Very disappointed. We now have a second Bernina dealer in Chattanooga so I am going to see if their repairman can help. I thought I just had a lemon I tried to trade it in on a Bernina 830e LE, but they wanted almost $5000.00 plus my machine. I have had my machine since April 2010. Also I thought they were made in Switzerland, but it said Japan on the box. So many sewing machine companies are buying each other out they just aren't what they used to be. My sister has a 30 year plus Phaff she bought in Germany (it's a dream so smooth and quite) but when she went to buy a new machine she found they were bought out and no longer made in Germany and not as good. She went with the Bernina 550.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:48 AM

I own several Bernina's and love all of them. Sounds like you need to find another Bernina dealer and have them take a look at it. Your dealer doesn't sound like a good one.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:38 AM

I spoke to a sewing machine dealer and he told me a couple of years ago when the new Bernina 830's came out that a lot of people were having problems with it. I have also found there are quite a few people here who have had a lot of problems as well. For the price that Bernina charges for the 830's, it should do everything flawlessly, and they don't.