Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Big Fat Mouth >

My Big Fat Mouth

My Big Fat Mouth

Old 02-18-2011, 04:06 AM

My oldest daughter is in 6th grade and will graduate to middle school in June. I am on the 6th grade graduation committee. We held a meeting last night where we discussed the river cruise the kids will be taking the night before graduation, the graduation itself, teacher's gifts and the class gift to the school. When being asked for suggestions for the class gift to the school, everyone was having a hard time coming up with a idea that would get the students involved. One mom suggested a full 6th grade photo, not everyone was thrilled with that...that's when I opened MY BIG FAT MOUTH and suggested a quilt. I suggested giving every student (about 75 total) a square and permanent markers and having them draw out their favorite experience at the school, and writing their name on the block. Everyone LOVED the idea (or so it seemed) and I was asked to head it up with the help of the art teacher. WHAT DID I GET MYSELF INTO?!?!?!

So I spent all night tossing and turning and the wheels in my head just would not stop. I need to make sure I do this right. It would be a quilt that would be hung on a wall in the school. I'm guessing with 75 students, it will turn out to be a full size, maybe even queen size. Not sure if we should do batting. I was thinking 10in blocks, to give the kids enough room to get their ideas on the fabric. I was thinking light pastel colors or muslin. No sashing, maybe a border. I have one mom, the head of the committee who says she can help sew. I figured we'd tie the quilt instead of actually quilting it. Because all of this was just thought of last night, I'm going to be waiting for the art teacher to get a hold of me to collaborate.

The gift would be presented at the graduation on June 22nd.

If any of you have any advice or tip for completing this project, like materials to use, easier ways to get the kids ideas onto the fabrics...I and who ever else will be working on this would greatly appreciate this. I know with a lot of hard work we can pull this off but I still wonder what the heck I got myself into, lol.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:12 AM

I think a signature quilt would work out better for you and everyone would be included. Here is a photo of one I won in a drawing. They were told to use a certain size piece for the siggy and add the colored parts in any color they wanted.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-115455.jpe   attachment-115456.jpe  
Old 02-18-2011, 04:19 AM

Depending on how interested the kids are in doing the actual blocks, you might just put a signature quilt together and have each one sign in the appropriate block.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:19 AM

I like the idea of a signature quilt but if you go ahead with the blocks I would suggest crayons. Have the students draw and color their pictures with the understanding that when you iron them onto fabric it will be reversed. Some have done crayon quilts just having the students draw on the fabric itself but that is more difficult although these are old enough to be able to do that. Just tape the muslin to cardboard. Just an idea. Have fun!
Old 02-18-2011, 04:22 AM

What about using pictures that they take and printing them out on fabric to make a quilt block. Using the freezer paper method, done in all black and white. Alternate blocks could be school t-shirts. Have a quilting bee at the school, asking for volenteers to help tie the quilt. I'm sure the school has large tables to lay it out on, or the gym floor. A rag quilt would go together quick and easy also, and the kids could actually hand stitch these together themselves with simple instructions in art class. Then all you have to do is sew the blocks together.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:26 AM

Your pastels idea is nice, but wouldn't it be a better gift FROM them if each child chose which colour they wanted to have their block done in? I would imagine there wouldn't be many 6th graders would take ownership of a pastel quilt and if it is gift FROM them....?
Old 02-18-2011, 04:29 AM

The one thing about this gift is, I have no idea how much money we have to work with. We are still fundraising for all the graduation stuff and won't know a total until the first week of April...so I have to be careful how much money we plan to spend on the project.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:33 AM

I have done several that I have let kindergardeners' and adults write on white muslin. Just give them fabric markers or fabric crayons. You just have to hold tight to the fabric. It is lots of fun to see what they come up with. It is a lot of work to transfer their design. Then you just have to seew them together. and hang it up.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:57 AM

I put together many group quilts over the years...the ones I have seen the most were blocks that each person got to do whatever they wanted to with the block. Usually about 6-8" blocks...and you do need to be sure to let them know that they cannot use the outside 1/4- 1/2" all around so you are able to sew the blocks together without cutting off part of someone's block. Usually I just put the quilts together with sashing. They always turned out great!.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:04 AM
LDB

I like the idea presented here of the autograph block quilt. Lots of room for the kids to write / draw whatever they want. Plus you could quickly strip piece these blocks ahead of time. Would agree that a pastel might not be everybody's choice, but you could use lots of bright colors and fabrics for variety and pop.