Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Big Mouth

My big mouth has gotten me into a pickle. I have told my daughters best friend that I would make them a quilt for the wedding gift, and they chose a HAWAIIAN quilt!! I made a small sampler to try my hand at applique and have decided to make it on the machine. Now the next problem. What pattern?? Do any of you have information on what diffrent patterns mean? I would like it be meaningfull. I really don't want to pick a pattern because it is nice and come to find it means death or something like that. Thanks for listening.

Blog Entries
    This is a big time commitment to put in this type of wedding quilt for a gift! Most wedding quilts are usually given on the 1st year Anniversary or at least mine are because I too have to open my big mouth :D

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    You may find some info on this website specific to Hawaiian quilts:
    http://www.poakalani.net/

Did you leave the list of options wide open for the lucky recipients?

I foolisly handed the couple an encyclopedia of quilts to peruse not thinking that they would like the one type that I have never had any experience with. Since I love the country/scrappy type I didn't even pay much attention to the other types in the book. I guess they could have chosen a Baltimore Album so I should count my blessings. I looked at the www.poakalani.net site and don't yet see the definition of meaning that I am looking for but I will keep looking.

LOL Murphy's Law isn't it!

I don't know your skill level, but can you possibly admit to them that's the one type you haven't done, and you're not sure if you can do it justice, and get them to pick another style?
    Personally I'd rather admit it was something I wasn't keen on doing, and then do a brilliant job on another style.

All that echo quilting!?! Good luck!

Well I don't think I will be doing the traditional way. I will fuse the design and then blanket-stitch it with a machine. Then when I get to the quilting part I am not concerned. I love to hand quilt. That will be the fun part. Never let it said that I did not face a challenge like this with (perhaps foolish) reckless abandon. HAHA

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    Well I don't think I will be doing the traditional way. I will fuse the design and then blanket-stitch it with a machine.
    Now THAT"s making lemonade out of a lemon (situation).

Lord knows I try!!!

:-)

You'll be fine... enthusiasm is the most important part of tackling any job. Even if it is "foolish or reckless abandon"! LOL

Can't wait to see how it goes.

ROFL Neither can I!!!!

Blog Entries
    I found this website

http://www.quilting101.com/styles/hawaiian-quilts.html

I also asked a friend of mine and she said pretty much the same thing as this article. The quilts handed down in her family were only symbolic in keeping with the tradition of using two colors, the outline quilting, appliquing the design and the way in which the design is cut out. She did not know anything about particular symbolism about an individual design, as far as she knew the designs were soley an individual's artistic perception of flowers, plants, or whatever inspired them to come up with a design.

I have been there and done that! :? What a surprise when someone says this one, and it is something WAAAAY out there for my skill level. Well, it is one way to grow! But it does bring on remorse! :lol:

Just looking through some patterns my sis gave me, but not much history info...they encourage you to "consult with your library"

Have you seen this site? http://www.quiltshawaii.com/

I'm going to look for a few others.
    http://www.tammyyee.com/

Thank you so much for all of your help. I have been sewing since I was 4 and doing costuming for years. I have a lot of needle experience and I am sure this one will stretch my abilities and I will grow because of it. I will let you all know what pattern I choose and post pictures as I progress.

Wow amma that is a good place to start.....don't think I'll put that one on my to do list anytime soon....and................good luck kwhite!!!.....:-)

Welcome from the state of Washington. I just noticed you are new. Good luck with your Hawiian quilt. They are beautiful.

Try googling Pacific Rim quilts in Wa state...
    I know they have several patterns...
    K

Queen Lil'uokalani, was sentenced 5 years in prison which was spent at the Iolani Palace in an upstair bedroom. The Queen's quilt demostrates all the best features "of the crazy quilt style". Nine block format with a center medallion.

You could incorporate a 12 or 9 inch block of the traditional pinapple or any Hawaiian applique, and make the rest of a crazy quilt style with pieces of clothing from the two of them and add satin and lace with decorative stitching.

Just a thought, that way if you feel the other style was to much you get the both of two worlds with royalty added.

Quote Originally Posted by Machel
    Queen Lil'uokalani, was sentenced 5 years in prison which was spent at the Iolani Palace in an upstair bedroom. The Queen's quilt demostrates all the best features "of the crazy quilt style". Nine block format with a center medallion.

You could incorporate a 12 or 9 inch block of the traditional pinapple or any Hawaiian applique, and make the rest of a crazy quilt style with pieces of clothing from the two of them and add satin and lace with decorative stitching.

Just a thought, that way if you feel the other style was to much you get the both of two worlds with royalty added.
    wow, just my two cents, but kwhite, this sounds like a good compromise to me, unless you really like being more challenged. This sounds interesting. I too have handed a book to one of my daughter before and maybe eventually tackle the one she picked, but I won't be doing that again, I am not ready to start something that may overwhelm me. I am interested in seeing how your coming along and wish you the best! welcome to our happy litte? board, LOL! :D

Wow that is a good idea. I have just bought a book about crazy quilting and I want to try that too. I have a lot of options.
    Now to get my husband to finish my new sewing room so I can start!!!!!!

I will post a picture of my Hawaiian Quilt. Mind you that I didn't make it. I bought it just before we left the Islands. It was my gift to me.

That would be wonderful. Thank you so much. I have felt so welcomed here. This is really great. "I WUB DIS PWACE"

Quote Originally Posted by Machel

Mind you when doing a Hawaiian Quilt applique, it is done as a whole piece. so lots of room is needed. (whole piece not pieced in sections)
    Attached Images Attached Images

How Beautiful. They really are beautiful. Thank you for posting these.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast