Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My Big Mouth

Your Welcome

Wow Machel~ your quilt is beautiful. Have always liked the Hawaiian quilts. Thanks for sharing. Good luck with your project kwhite!

I don't know anything about Hawaiian quilts, but i did a search for Hawaiian symbols and found this:

http://www.poakalani.net/storyquilts.html
    Scroll down to the emblems, click on an emblem and its story /meaning will come up.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/5024138/ha...-and-happiness
    This site has different symbols and meanings.

http://www.softexpressions.com/softw...waiianAppl.php
    This looks like a pretty good book on sale.

Good luck,
    Christine

Wow that was just what I am looking for. Thanks so much. I think I will be able to find exactly what I want now. I can't wait to get this thing rolling now. I think I have decided on a antique white base and a sage green design.

Blog Entries
    Change it to a wallhanging, and tell them how hard it is to make a Hawaiian quilt! They probably didn't know how difficult it is. 'Fess up and tell them you've never made that kind of quilt before, and maybe they'll ask for something else!

Wow machel, that is stunning!

You've almost inspired me to have a go. Almost, but not quite! lol

:-)

BlueChicken, is that ballet your doing with those clodhoppers? or are you just coming in for a landing? LOL
    I love him! :D

I have until July of 2010. And anyway I look forward to it.

As Machel has stated, it is a long and tedious project in making a "true" Hawaiian quilt. I watch 10 ladies lay out the design for a queen size. It was awesome watching them. With that said...would I make one that size? Nope! I know how long it takes for them to get done because of talking to ladies in Hawaii who have made them. I got to help stitch a king size at one time. One of the ladies said they had been working on the quilt for almost 3 years. WOW! That's way too long for me to have to work on one thing. All TRUE Hawaiian quilts are hand sewn from beginning to end.
    They are beautiful!

My advice to you is...if they have their heart set on Hawaiian and you want to make one for them, you can do this. I've seen one made this way.
    The quilt was made in squares. I think it was like 5 across and 6 down. Every other square was Hawaiian applique design. The block next to it was plain, but the plain block was hand embroidered with a Hawaiian design. It was very pretty! You could probably make it as a Quilt As You Go project.

THANKS EVERYONE :D** I just want to reiterate I did not make this quilt. I pruchased from a local store in Hawaii for a very good price. It has a mistake on it which is not shown. It is missing a rose bud, but you wouldn't know it.

Kwhite- Just a s Terri has mentioned it is a verylong process and if you have till 2010 at least that gives you some time. Good luck and can't wait to see the finished quilt. Keep us posted and please show pic of your progress. :D

Machel

WOW thank you so much tlrnhi. I am leaning towards a bed toper 60" or so. My first quilt took me four years. It was a White on White. I don't expect to take that long on this one. It will not be a true Hawaiian quilt though now that this thread has begun I am bound and determined to get to Hawaii one day to see some for myself. They really are amazing and you all have been so much help. God bless you all.

can you admit that you've never done that technique? offer to do a conventional one or a hawaiin wallhanging. does it have to be bed-sized?

Quote Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    BlueChicken, is that ballet your doing with those clodhoppers? or are you just coming in for a landing? LOL
    I love him! :D
    lol
    Thanks! :-)
    He's a cartoon version of our native Pukeko, which looks remarkably like a blue chicken only with really big red feet. A mate drew him for me, Blue Chicken is actually my business name.

Blog Entries
    Another place to look is Nancy Chong's website at www.prqc.com My avatar is one of her patterns and I'm working on my second one. I sat in on one of her demos at the annual Oahu Quilt Festival several years ago and then bought her DVD which was wonderful. My favorite part is the needle-turn applique. The handquilting, for me, takes forever!

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries
    Your generosity is going to do you in! Good luck ! May your needle fly!

Ellen

Blog Entries
    Have you seen Leslee's Hawaiian quilt? On page one is when she's ready to baste it and a progress picture, page two shows it pau (done.) It's gorgeous! I think this may help inspire you.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/440.page

WOW what a beautiful quilt. Thank you for directing me to it. I am getting excited about this quilt.

Blog Entries
    I'm looking forward to seeing it! We hope you'll take pictures along the way... are you going to use one big piece of fabric to cut the pattern out, or do it in sections? Please share with us! :mrgreen:

I think I will be using one big piece. I will take pics as I progress.

Blog Entries
    Thanks!

I am reopening this thread because the wedding is back on. They had called it off after the Brides father killed himself and now they have just announced the wedding is in 3 MONTHS!!! Needless to say the quilt will not be done. (or even started) by then. So lets get this ball rolling again.

oh, eeeek! i know it's not about you, but poor kay! :-(

can you do a little one (maybe block size) as a 'sneak peek' with a promise that the real one is coming later? under the new circumstances, that should be understandable.

Blog Entries
    Oh, been there! I promised a friend a crocheted afghan for their wedding gift. I chose a pattern and style I'd never done before (big mistake.) It was crocheted, and then had a cross-stitch pattern on top of that!
    I did get it done. But the last 2 days before the wedding all I did was crochet - 10 hours a day!
    Now, I promise nothing. I use the "I hope to finish it by..." instead. :)

K, for a sort of authentic Hawaiian Quilt, that will take you almost forever! My opinion and thought process on this to make it easier on you would be to find a couple of the blocks, I'm sure there are some you can copy online and then just applique (machine) then to squares.
    I have a Hawaiian Quilt, but not your typical one. It's a dolphin scene on it. I'm working on sending a friend of mine some money to pick me up another one in the same shop where I got my first one. No way would I make one,,,just too much work. I've seen the ladies quilting them and talking with one lady who was doing a king size by hand, she said she had been working on it for almost 3 years.

Now, with that said, most of the blocks are either fruit or flowers of the islands. Here's a link for a few blocks that I found http://www.quiltshawaii.com/freepattern.html

Hope this helps you a little

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2