Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My biggest sewing pet-peeve is...

Blog Entries
    Lately I've had a bad time fabric shopping for specific projects. I'll have in mind what I want colorwise, etc. Then I find the perfect fabric, it's the end of the bolt and I'm 1/4 to 1/2 yard short! Maddening!

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    AND

I have fabric that I don't think I will use for a project so I use it to make a practice/sample block then later decide it would be just perfect for ....whatever and now I don't have enough.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
    AND

I have fabric that I don't think I will use for a project so I use it to make a practice/sample block then later decide it would be just perfect for ....whatever and now I don't have enough.
    And that fabric is nowhere to be found anywhere!

Anything to do with the bobbin messing up annoys the heck out of me!! I can't decide which is worse, bobbin throw-up or running out when you only have a few inches to go.... :(

Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    Anything to do with the bobbin messing up annoys the heck out of me!! I can't decide which is worse, bobbin throw-up or running out when you only have a few inches to go.... :(
    Why chose? They're equally frustrating to me! I am so glad that this thread has taken off! Keep em coming!

Pet Peeves...hmm

I'm a perfectionist. Is there a 12 Step Program for this?

Cut carefully and double check.
    Check scant quarter inch seam allowance and double check.
    Sew units and sqare each. Double check.
    Sew units into block.
    Curse Word(s)
    Emerge from sewing room like this :shock:
    Have glass of wine
    Repeat

Somehow it all makes a quilt. It's beautiful. Quilt Board members praise us. All is well and wonderful :mrgreen:

Blog Entries
    Sorry I can't limit myself to just one..so the bird's nest and bobbin running out AND...the cat sitting on top of the fabric that I'm in the middle of trying to cut. :evil:

I agree with Jerrie. My sis has the quilting machine in the shop now because we tried everything and stupid thing kept breaking the thread.
    Another thing is when one of the little sweethearts (cat) decides she has to rub up against the thread (large spool) and/or machine when I am trying to sew especially when I am trying to meet a deadline.

Oh Sandpat I'm with you on when I try to cut the cat has to hop right in front of me. No where to be seen until I want to cut fabric.

Power Poster
    My cat seems to think he can help with the ironing/pressing, also.

I take my Happy pill wait 30 minutes and away I go When I make a mistake I just have to laugh...I think someone is telling me to take a break and I do...I chat with you all.....

On the bird nesting....use a little strip of scrap fabric folded....I have several by my machine and use them all the time....no more birds nest....hope that helps.....

on the needle try a bigger needle size...I use 90/14

on the thread don't make the mistake of using HAND Quilting thread...I did that when I first stared....my thread had a glaze on it ....and it kept breaking.....I use a 40wt thread....Thread comes in all kinds of weight....that can be some of the problem....use good COTTON thread...

My biggest peeve is running out of bobbin thread but not at the very end, but not to far from the beginning of a long strip of blocks.

Happy pill? Hmmmmmm.....care to share? lol

Terri you don't need any happy pills!! I know what your pet peeve is...not being allowed to open your secret santa! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Dancer
    Terri you don't need any happy pills!! I know what your pet peeve is...not being allowed to open your secret santa! LOL
    LMAO!!!

Are these pills legal?

ha haa...haaa..haa....if you ask your doctor.....ha..hahahhaaa

"Peeving" right now! Thread breaking while machine quilting. I never have a problem with that happening while piecing, but of course, when I'm quilting - the hardest to unsew. :roll: Only recently started machine quilting, though I've been making quilts for about 10 years, but I've tied or handquilted up till about 6 months ago. I've decided I need to replace the cotton/poly thread I never knew was a problem with 100% cotton, but of course I don't have the color I need right now...wouldn't you know? There is some comfort in knowing I'm not the only one with the same problem!

Not enough time! Setting up and putting my sewing machine away after every session. PITB!

my biggest pet peeve is not being able to use my magnetic seam guide on my computerized sewing machine.

I can't sew straight to save my life! LOL
    Anybody have any suggestions?

Sondra

Take a happy pill! LOL

Actually no suggestions for that one...

I found another one...having the dog think it's fun to chase the fabric as it's moving up the table in the sewing machine and then sitting on the end of it so it won't move... :twisted:

Blog Entries
    running out when you only have a few inches to go
    Last night I ran out of bobbin thread with only one inch to go!

And speaking of "pet" peeves. . . I recently figured out that our adopted pooch just loves to chew up batting. She took a chunk out of a batting I'd spread out to trim and recently destroyed a potholder, pulling out the stuffing. Now I don't know if I dare get out my queen size quilt I've been hand quilting. So far no problems with any finished items but who knows. Will have to watch this one.

Sondra i can identify with ya on that one, the only way i can sew straight is when i try free motion quilting then it seems its all straight lol

I find a little Bailey's in my coffee works as well as a happy pill!!

My peeve?? When I cut wrong..fabric is way to expensive for that :D

sondray....I use painters blue tape cut it to the length I need and about I/8 inch thick.....many layers.....measure over 1/4 inch and put it down....use until you need to replace ....which is a long time....then you can peel layer off and it's sticky and ready to go again....Hope that tip helps you...sure does me

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast