Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: My biggest sewing pet-peeve is...

All of the above...especially the bobbin barf and it just running out! But having to "break" to make dinner is another, and I also hate having to cut my evening "short" so I can get up for work the next day - don't we ALL do our best work after midnight????

It's gotta be the tangle of thread on the back of my quilt. I can usually catch it right away cause my machine sounds different, but sometimes I go awhile before I catch it. What a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by kathiet
    All of the above...especially the bobbin barf and it just running out! But having to "break" to make dinner is another, and I also hate having to cut my evening "short" so I can get up for work the next day - don't we ALL do our best work after midnight????

I thought it was just me that does that. When I don't have to work the next day I could quilt all night. It's quiet and there are no interruptions.

Badly written instructions... :evil: :evil: :evil:

My pet peeve is when the person cutting your fabric cuts it too short and crooked to boot! :x

Banned
    Well let's see . :roll: Machine jamming , refuses to sew , machine chewing up end of fabric , big lump of a dog in the way , bobbin running out of thread , Um , I need some happy pills please . My address is #$% )(*&^% Annie

I have to say cutting wrong AND not having enough time to sew...it seems like I just get everything set up when I have to take it all down again, after barely making a dent in whatever project I am working on. :evil:

Blog Entries
    Needle breaking right in the middle of quilting a quneen size quilt or a bridsnest of therd in back because I need to change my needle.

When all I want to do is QUILT and family/friend asks, "Since you are always sewing anyways, can you hem these pants, can you add a button on this shirt, can you make me curtains......." AND I just reply, my machine only quilts, sorry...... LOL

Harmony: just genlty hold your two treads behind the foot for about the first 4 stitches and you will never have thread puke again. I was taught this trick back in the 60's in high school homec. Try this and let me know if it works for you. You can also glue a piece of Velcro behind your foot and it will secure the threads also for a few stitches.
    Connie

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    You can also make a scrap quilt one piece at a time by using it as your leader.

AND.. Boy do I agree on the bad directions. I have one in my lap right now that I'm having trouble finishing because it is all ripply and I have too much money in it to let it go and I will NOT let this quilt win.

Your favorite machine (we all have a few don't we)? breaks down while making a quilt you have fallen in love with. It takes two to three weeks around here to get it back. Cut perfectly and sew perfectly and still get cut off points. Make a block wrong 4 times! Did this last week.
    Connie

mine is sewing a section together only to find out it is upside down, or put together wrong in some way, and having to rip it out and start over.

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    Oh how I wish I didn't know what you are talking about but sadly I know all too well about sewing things backwards.

I've even been known to rip something out just to realize I did it right in the first place.

Bad directions......I have found a pattern designer that writes perfect directions. She even tells you which direction to press every seam! That is my big problem. I spend a lot of time re-pressing my seams. Oh you want to know who this is?
    Debbie Caffrey...DebbiesCreativeMoments.com. She even has free patterns on her site. They are under the Free Section. All of her books and patterns are written as you see on the free ones. I have all her books . I get to go to her classes ofter as she lives near my home. She is a wonderful teacher, speaker and trunk show presenter. If she is ever in your area GO to her event.

There's never enough time, then when a problem occurs, bobbins, needles etc then there's really not enough time. My biggest ism is the house has to be clean before I can start to sew. I need to retire sooooon!

Banned
    Gail , I'll have to remember that response . lol Family members do that to me all the time . Mending is another pet peeve of mine . Just don't like to do that . Family thinks because I used to sew clothing , that mending isn't a job ! Or wait 2 weeks before and want you to rush and make a quilt for them :mrgreen: Annie

Running out of bobbin/thread/fabric.

Kids coming and saying, "Oh, but the way....." which usually leads to a large interruption and when you come back to the machine, someone has done something to the machine.

Misplacing my own stuff...... which leads to tearing apart the whole house looking for it.

Ahh yes..I am also a "misplacer"!! I usually find whatever I'm looking for either after I just used simething else in its place or bought new :evil:

Blog Entries
    Oh--my biggest is when the fabric gets sucked down into the feed dogs when sewing small pieces together, :evil: or just the ends of larger pieces. It was happening with my new machine--the Quest--but then I remembered it came with a single hole needle plate--so I switched and no more troubles. :D

How much you want to bet when I switch to do a fancy stitch--I forget to change the plate and I break a needle? :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by barnbum
    Oh--my biggest is when the fabric gets sucked down into the feed dogs when sewing small pieces together, :evil: or just the ends of larger pieces. It was happening with my new machine--the Quest--but then I remembered it came with a single hole needle plate--so I switched and no more troubles. :D

How much you want to bet when I switch to do a fancy stitch--I forget to change the plate and I break a needle? :roll:
    I FORGOT ABOUT THAT ONE!!! :lol: :lol: \
    As far as forgetting to switch the needle plate... let's just say, been there, done that :?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3