Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • My Darling? Husband >
  • My Darling? Husband

• My Darling? Husband

Old 01-21-2011, 12:26 AM

My hubby supports my quilting he even buys me a lot of my sewing needs, plus it keeps me home at night and I'm not at the bars lol!
    Old 01-21-2011, 01:04 AM

My heart goes out to all of you who don't have a supportive hubby. I was a seamstress when we got married and I let him know that sewing was a part of me and it makes me happy. I wasn't a quilter at that time, not until 10 years later.
    My Dh doesn't mind me sewing in the living room as long as he can hear the TV. I have a treadle machine in the living room, so I can still sew and spend time with him. He supports my quilting habit and my machines...even suggests that I might need another one. :-D
    We've been married almost 33 years. 10 years ago he finally got a hobby, he grows very tasty vegetables for us. He has a small and large gardens. He's built raised beds and is happy being productive.
    Old 01-21-2011, 06:59 AM
    SEW

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    Sorry to hear that Dianne. I have a theory about marriages. I think that every couple needs 3 hobbies between them. One for him. One for her. And one for both of them to enjoy together.

Try to engage him in a hobby that you can enjoy together!!
    That is the strategy that we have adopted in our marriage. It has worked out great! He likes to hunt and fish and read about hunting and fishing...quality quilting time for me. Together we enjoy searching out lighthouses and target shooting.
    Old 01-21-2011, 07:29 AM

Previously our TV was located in the loft (upstairs) and that's where my husband would watch TV while I was downstairs in our "back room" sewing/quilting. I hated not spending time with my husband and always being separated like that. Then our daughter bought new living room furniture so we inherited her old furniture. We put the furniture in the "back room", moved a TV down there, so now my husband can watch TV while I sew and we're both happy and spending time together. And yes, I sometimes enjoy his hunting and fishing programs with him while I sew! Works for us.
    Old 01-21-2011, 07:45 AM

When my husband retired from the fire department, he decided to raise buffalo (bison). Since he was 50 at the time, I thought this was a good idea because I have heard of men who did nothing after they retired and they did not live a very long life.
    My husband also cuts wood for our woodstove, hauls the hay in for the winter, fixes fences, and works on anything else that happens to break down in our house (including computers and sewing machines if I ask for his help).

He does sit around in the winter because he gets bad headaches from the weather. At that time, he does watch a lot of tv. I try to spend some time with him each day but he completely understands when I disappear into my sewing room for hours. He isn't as understanding about the money I spend if it is out of the household budget. (We do give ourselves an allowance each month and we don't have to explain to the other one what we did with the money so I use my allowance for my quilting fund.)

We've been married for over 28 years. He wasn't always this way but that was when he was working and our children were growing up. Money was tight...time was tight in trying to get everything done on our farm and he was a deputy fire chief with a lot of pressure on him at work.

Times change and the situations change.
    Old 01-21-2011, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
    Sorry to hear that Dianne. I have a theory about marriages. I think that every couple needs 3 hobbies between them. One for him. One for her. And one for both of them to enjoy together.

oh, yeah, we do that. I just love looking at tools at Sears!
    NOT!
    I looked at tools at Sears, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. until I could take it no longer! I finally said I'll be glad to go with you to those stores but I will not be spending time looking at tools. Unless they've started selling quilting tools, which they haven't.
    Old 01-21-2011, 08:34 AM

Oh my goodness! I hope there aren't alot of men in the dog house because of my post..
    In his defense DH is a good man and makes a good living for us. For that I love him so much..and for the most part get along great.. I was just trying to get to the root of why he doesn't like my quilting?? Or anything I do for that fact. If I liked TV I would not mind sitting with him..But just because I don't like it why do I have to just sit there!! Like this morning I went in a sat down with him and started talking to him all I got was shaaaa.. I can't hear the TV...I am not one who has a large stash of fabric and don't spend a lot money on fabric or anything so can't be the money...
    I am going sit down with him and ask him this weekend. To be continued.........
    Old 01-21-2011, 09:33 AM

I remember when I started quilting. My husband was taking radiation for a cancer treatment and so mostly house confined he too watch TV for entertainment mostly sports I started sewing on the dining table and one day he said I will help you set up your sewing machine in MY den (the second bedroom) I was thrilled to death and moved right in, that was probably 25 years ago I have been alone now for 14 years and am still quilting. I love the fact so many have enjoyed the finished product and I have been so encouraged to make another one. Keeps me young
    Old 01-21-2011, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jill
    Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie

oh, yeah, we do that. I just love looking at tools at Sears!
    NOT!
    I looked at tools at Sears, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. until I could take it no longer! I finally said I'll be glad to go with you to those stores but I will not be spending time looking at tools. Unless they've started selling quilting tools, which they haven't.
    I shop online and in the stores for tools for my husband and I enjoy it. His hobby is out in the shop, he builds things..birdhouses, things for my sewing room and handy-work around the house.

I have fun looking fro this stuff because I use the tools also, working on the trucks. A few years ago from my birthday I got two air ratchets from him and I was happy to have them. They saved the skin on my knuckles......LOL
    Old 01-21-2011, 10:10 AM

I am very lucky! My dh supports ALL my hobbies. I try to include him and he gets into it and can go overboard at the stores if I'm not careful. He pays, I make, he gets the codos when he gives them away cause I don't like the attention just make the craft. I hope it gets better.