Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: my DH says Ive turned into a monster...

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I use to work 40+ hours a week for years. Since I don't work now I figure I can devote all that time to quilting if I choose. The family did just fine with me away from home those hours so they can do just fine with me in my sewing room those hours. I don't care what they think I should be doing anyway. LOL
    I was supposed to be laid off at the end of this month and was looking forward to having more quilting time as well as setting up a dedication sewing room. Now I'm still working for another 30 days (not really complaining) but it is cutting into my quilting!

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    lol well if this is an obsession .. hmmm when I was off 5 weeks due to foot problem that was all I did was sew, except for when the medicine said I needed a nappy. DH works nights and I went out into the "ROOM" (which we share), and sewed to my heart's contentment or until I needed a nappy according to the medicine !LOL. He would get up and know exactly where to look for the dog and me.. back door to the sewing room open, nice breeze coming through and my machine a humming ! Or on the couch with the tv on low and fast asleep for a few hours.. LOL
    Oh and I could have worse obsessions for sure ! lol
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

And I forgot to mention that I even see quilting related things wherever I go. For instance, I was on an Alaska Air flight earlier this year and the bulkhead made me think of quilting to the point I took a picture of it. Addicted to quilting? Nahhh! LOL

Name:  QuiltPattern.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  113.5 KB

Oh yes, I can relate to you on this. Day or night I am doodling new quilt designs, with these new designs flowing in to my mind from where ever. If I make a quilt from some elses design, I always have to change it so it is then mine. Don't ever stop. This is called creativity.

Blog Entries
    Oh my! You are tooo funny!! Our creativity obviously runs wild into our conversations, huh? I'm still laughing!!
    Eliminate "can't" from your vocabulary and see what happens.

If it's a disease, then I am afraid it's one of epidemic proportions! We all have it and don't want to be cured. Sounds like you have really gotten a bad case in a few months, so you must have some new strain that works fast. LOL! Enjoy and just don't listen to the whiners. Works around here!

Quote Originally Posted by DawnA View Post
    I got a sewing machine for Mother's Day...and then it began. lol I have started quilting and lets say it has turned into an obsession. I can admit that...not sure about the monster part. I lay in bed and design whole quilts, tote bags, table runner, ect. So is this normal? I used to enjoy reading, watching tv but now all I want to do is quilt. I love it so
    LOL - your asking the right crowd if you want a positive answer Dawn! Yup! You are "normal" - at least here on the QB! Isn't it wonderful to have a productive and rewarding passion like quilting?! TV viewing is something i only do now with family nights.

You must be laughing at all your witty answers - the people here are a bundle of fun!
    Last edited by BuzzinBumble; 07-23-2012 at 06:49 AM.

Blog Entries
    Hey!! Welcome to the happiest club there is. Don't worry, DH will learn eventually. I have woken in the night to get up and draw an idea so I don't forget it. If I doodle these days it is a pattern or a block. Quilting makes me happier than most things except GKids so I don't see anything wrong with what I do.
    BTW The only place housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary. Enjoy every minute that you quilt.

Perfectly normal! I just can't get enough! There ar dust bunnies blowing across the floor, and whole bunches of stuff that needs to be cleaned, but I just keep sewing and sewing! I figure in 50 years, no one will care whether my house was clean, but hopefully all the quilts I've made will turn up somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by DawnA View Post
    I got a sewing machine for Mother's Day...and then it began. lol I have started quilting and lets say it has turned into an obsession. I can admit that...not sure about the monster part. I lay in bed and design whole quilts, tote bags, table runner, ect. So is this normal? I used to enjoy reading, watching tv but now all I want to do is quilt. I love it so
    Hey, it keeps us off the streets & out of the bars. LOL. It's a very clean, productive, creative obsession so just let him know how lucky he is to have you.

I must admit that ...well, let's say during a time that fabric should have been the furthest thing from my mind, I got excited when I realized I could find a particular pattern at a particular store. My husband still won't let me live that one down - it's now a running joke.
    She looks for wool and flax And works with her hands in delight.

my way of thinking too! why not do something we love in those hours,

If I wasn't into quilting, I would be at the bingo hall. And I would hate that because I never win at bingo. At least with quilting, you have something to show for the money spent. Something pretty and useful.

Don't worry, the monster part will drop off of the joke the first time you make HIM a quilt. LOL!

Of all of the bad habits some women have this one is at least a home body loving thing to have. Just how many pairs of shoes and purses can you wear?
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

I think this says it all, welcome to my world!
    Attached Images Attached Images

My mother-in-law bought hundreds of videos during her last years. She taught me the best response line I've ever heard... "I'm spending my cigarette and beer money".
    https://quiltdasher.blogspot.com

I like to make lists. I also like to leave them laying on my sewing table and then guess what's on the list while at the fabric store. Fun game.

My only regret is that I did not start quilting earlier in our marriage. At our house, we found out that when "mama is happy (quilting, that is), everyone is happy"

Don't worry, you're in good company!!

Very normal. Welcome to the club!
    Kathleen, a lass with a bit of the Irish in her blood and a whole lot of Irish in her heart

People have joked for years about football widow and hunting widows. Now we have quilting widowers :>)
    jean

Blog Entries
    Since my DH has started sewing too, I don't have that problem anymore. I have to admit though that he has always been very suppotive of my quilting. Now, I have to be supportive of his!
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

Enjoy!!! Monsters seem to enjoy what they're doing. And so should you.

Blog Entries
    On Sunday, my youngest was helping me get my stash in order in a cabinet with doors. We emptied several totes, moved things around and redid from big to slightly smaller totes and then stacked and still do not have everything the way I want it because I need an addition to my house just for me to sew in and have all my machines and tables. My hubby says I could open a Ben Franklin. daughter said no because they sell more than just fabric. He really doesn't know what I have upstairs yet in totes that if I could get it all arranged I could have a store. My main thing is that I worked and bought on auctions a lot of my stuff, rummage sales also. My DD from New York has sent me many boxes of fabric she got out there too. I told him to go stick his nose out in his shop and then see who has the most stuff that will never be used and how much more space that his takes up than mine. He has a 40 by 60 ft shop, I think it is and that is full and he has at least 5 buses and I don't know how many cars full of stuff that he will never use, + a whole 40 acres of old machines, cars etc. that will never be used and could be cut into scrap iron and sold, but he just runs to town to have coffee all morning and then complains he doesn't get anything done. I wonder why. I work two jobs and get all our health ins pd for plus vacation and sick leave from one and a lot of extra money from the other when we have work and I support him most of the time anyway. Gonna ask him the next time he says anything --who puts the money in your checking acct that you are spending? sure isn't you.

Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    So you get a new toy and he expects you to NOT play with it??? Men can be so silly!
    AND if you didn't use it you would be asked "What didn't you like it?" Can't win for losing soo WELCOME to the club!

Hear, hear! My DH has stopped asking what I did during the day or if I went anywhere, because the answer is always the same: "Duh! I sewed!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast