Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My fabric was safe but...... >

My fabric was safe but......

My fabric was safe but......

Old 04-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Power Poster

I am so sorry to hear you have to deal with this. Praying the dikes will hold.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:03 PM

Water is such a evil thing at times. Glad all your fabric is okay. Hopefully all goes well this weekend!
Old 04-08-2011, 01:21 AM

Glad your fabrics, etcetera are safe! I hope things don't get any worse!
Old 04-08-2011, 01:26 AM

Water is so scary a thing. We can't live without it but it sure can cause havoc in just a moment and then you have hours of cleanup after it goes. I feel so sorry for people in flood areas.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:00 AM
Power Poster

Glad that your material is safe. Look on the bright side of things, your sewing room is clean and you can get back to sewing.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:02 AM

Of course hubby said,"Now would be a good time to get rid of some of this stuff." Referring to all my sewing things in my sewing room.

They just don't get it! HUGS Told dh that if he'll get rid of his 67 Mustang - I'll get rid of my fabric! :lol: Still have my fabric!!

So sorry to hear about the flooding, that's just got to be sooo irritating. Why not suggest he build you some shelves to put your containers up off the floor. We have to protect our stash at all costs. :wink:
Old 04-08-2011, 02:59 AM

Hope the flooding is over! Good your fabric is in plastic containers.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

We are on a flood plain and have 2 sump pumps. If something goes wrong with one of them, we can get water in the basement. A tiny bit of water can make a big mess. We got a water alarm (flood alarm?) and it saved us the last time. Google it. It's worth the investment. Of course, if you're not home to hear it... :-)
Old 04-08-2011, 04:36 AM

I know what it is like to get your downstairs flooded. We have had it happen twice. We lost so much stuff. So, I'm on the same page with you when it comes to plastic bins They are a lifesaver! Every time it rains hard I freak out for fear it will happen again. We think we have it fixed, time will tell.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:25 AM

We spent thousands of dollars getting our basement waterproofed, and it works great as long as the sump pumps work. And that is the problem. First time, the power went out and the pump couldnt run, 2 inches of water covered the entire "finished" basement( (1000 square feet of carpet!!) Everything was ruined including the paneling on thre walls. Bought a battery back up pump that would turn on automatically if the power went off. Re-did everything from scratch, but used drywall instead of panerling, new carpet. Came a nice storm , again, 2 years later, only this time the main pump failed, power stayed on, so back-up didnt turn on. Everything has been redone again, and hubby said if it happens again, it isn't going to be fixed. The last timre the water was over the top of my foot. By the way, we also had water pour in the window once when the window well filled to the window edge. That was almost funny when we thought of how we must have looked. Hubby was outside in pouring rain and lightning, bailing out the water as fast as he could \while I was running around finding everything and anything that I could stuff in the window to try to hold back the water. We solved that issue by having the windows removed and glass blocks cemented in.