Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
my first attempt at a rag quilt >

my first attempt at a rag quilt

my first attempt at a rag quilt

Old 10-06-2011, 04:20 AM
Power Poster

denim MAKES WONDERFUL RAGGY QUILTS!!!
i usually use a 1/2" seam instead of 1/4" and i double stitch each joining seam- so when clipping if i accidently snip a stitch it will still hold together. and it just makes it more durable.
when the clipping time comes i usually pass around scissors- we all work on them together until it's done- or my hubby is happy to sit in his favorite chair with a game on and clip for me.
back in the early 80's my mom bought denim jeans by the bale- (25 pound bales) her and my siblings made many denim rag quilts- and sold them in the gift shop of the lighthouse where they lived. (i had already moved away)
Old 10-06-2011, 05:05 AM

I made one for my step-nephew last year for Christmas. It was denim and flannel, no batting. The fringe was on the flannel side. I used either 8" squares or 10" squares with a 1" seam allowance (if I ever make another one, I think I might only do 3/4" seam allowance).

Wash and dry it at a laundry mat. When mine was in the dryer, I only put 1 quarter in at a time so I could empty out the lint trap between each quarter.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:18 AM

I make these as supplies allow and love them. So does the fam! :) They are nice and heavy and warm. I use denim and flannel. Both fray nicely. I also do a .5 seam and clip, then wash.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:25 AM

I am doing a .25" seam and now wishing I had done the .5

Ah well, all a learning process.

I think I will leave it as it is (as far as the positions of the squares) and just continue on.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, and the wonderful pictures. There is hope for me yet.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:51 AM

I used flannel for top and bottom squares. Put them together and sew an X through the square and then sew them together. Clip and you have a rag quilt. Put in washer and dryer and watch closely for lint in the trap. I have never used denim and the flannel is very cuddly for little ones. Big ones too!
I agree about the snips, mines are Fiskars.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:05 PM

here is the second block... this is the layout I was aiming for on the first but somehow bungled it hehe

I love the geometrical pattern pieces here... they are from henry glass and soooo pretty... son loves them too :)
(I was gonna save the fq for something else but when he saw it his eyes lit up and he stated he wanted it in his quilt LOL)
I could not say no. So I am on the search for more of this.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-267119.jpe   attachment-267120.jpe  
Old 10-06-2011, 01:09 PM

I love purple!

You won't be sorry if you splurge for the Fiskars rag snippers. They will - literally - save your hands. They cut much easier than scissors and through more layers.

ali
Old 10-06-2011, 01:27 PM

sadly my hands will have to suffer, as I can not afford anything at the moment.

So far no word from the job interview :(

I have another interview tomorrow (at a quilt shop woooot!) so hoping for that one... imagine... being able to meet folks all day long that are crafters, sewers, quilters, etc... and being around all that fabric, and machines, and notions... ahhhhh eeeek I am sooooooo hoping I get it.

I will be sorely disappointed if I do not get the job, but alas, such is life. I will be ecstatic if I do get it. (it is for a customer service position... cashier, etc)
Old 10-07-2011, 07:44 AM

I hope you get the job. It will be a fun position but you'll likely spend your paycheck on fabric like I did! Still you can snap up some great deals!
Old 10-07-2011, 08:44 AM

Thanks athomenow... I am hoping... interview is in about 1.5 hours