Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My First Featherweight >

My First Featherweight

My First Featherweight

Old 10-15-2011, 08:09 PM

Wow you got a great deal. She is a beauty.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:15 PM

I must add my two cents. I LOVE MY FEATHERWEIGHT! And although my light is in working order, I never turn it on. It just makes the work surface hot. Of course I sew in the basement and I haven't had it through a winter yet, so I might end up liking that added heat come wintertime. My stitches are sew beautiful, I just love all piecing I do on my featherweight. I also love the attention it brings when I bring it to classes! :)
Old 10-15-2011, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by chrissyort
I must add my two cents. I LOVE MY FEATHERWEIGHT! And although my light is in working order, I never turn it on. It just makes the work surface hot. Of course I sew in the basement and I haven't had it through a winter yet, so I might end up liking that added heat come wintertime. My stitches are sew beautiful, I just love all piecing I do on my featherweight. I also love the attention it brings when I bring it to classes! :)
You must have a newer FW than I do, as I think I need my light on to be able to sew. Maybe I don't. I'll have to check tomorrow. She's put away right now. But I always turn the light on on all of my machines, so it just might be a habit for me.

I'm so excited!!! I got an e-mail form JaneK that my 1945 Featherweight is on her way to my house. I'm ready for her! Today I made a foot control bag and a tote/cover , or what ever it is called that one of the members had a link to, and also a serger size pocketed organizer to put under my new machine when she gets here. Can yo tell I'm excited about it? I used my Featherweight Lilly to sew her 'younger sister's' stuff.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Janis
You must have a newer FW than I do, as I think I need my light on to be able to sew. Maybe I don't. I'll have to check tomorrow. She's put away right now. But I always turn the light on on all of my machines, so it just might be a habit for me.

I'm so excited!!! I got an e-mail form JaneK that my 1945 Featherweight is on her way to my house. I'm ready for her! Today I made a foot control bag and a tote/cover , or what ever it is called that one of the members had a link to, and also a serger size pocketed organizer to put under my new machine when she gets here. Can yo tell I'm excited about it? I used my Featherweight Lilly to sew her 'younger sister's' stuff.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dottie Bug

Janis that is so neet that you used Lilly to sew for her younger sister . what is a foot control bag i havent seen that one ,please post a picture, and the link to the cover. Now i know what everyone is so excited when they get one of these baby's . they look like toys but get the job done. Dottie Bug
Old 10-16-2011, 08:08 PM

The foot control bag is just a little bag to put the foot control and the cords in. With them in the bag, they aren't apt to scratch the machine. I also made a little bag that fits over the arm when it is folded up so that the thumb screw that holds the feet on the machine doesn't hit the arm.

Here is where the Featherweight tote and foot control bag are found.

http://craftyhipster.typepad.com/cra...ight-tote.html

When I made my tote, I sewed shoelace handles between the lining and the outside cover to make handles as I didn't want the handles to show from the outside when I was using the tote as a cover for my machine. The laces just tuck in our of sight. I hope this helps. Someone else on the QB had a link to the tote pattern and I copied it and am helping spread it around.

On another note, when I am sewing with my newer machines, the foot petal keeps moving around on me and I have to hunt with my foot to find it. I found that with my FW, the foot petal stayed put and didn't move on me. Anyone else find this out too?
Old 10-17-2011, 02:45 PM

The foot control bag is just a little bag to put the foot control and the cords in. With them in the bag, they aren't apt to scratch the machine. I also made a little bag that fits over the arm when it is folded up so that the thumb screw that holds the feet on the machine doesn't hit the arm.

Here is where the Featherweight tote and foot control bag are found.

http://craftyhipster.typepad.com/cra...ight-tote.html

When I made my tote, I sewed shoelace handles between the lining and the outside cover to make handles as I didn't want the handles to show from the outside when I was using the tote as a cover for my machine. The laces just tuck in our of sight. I hope this helps. Someone else on the QB had a link to the tote pattern and I copied it and am helping spread it around.

On another note, when I am sewing with my newer machines, the foot petal keeps moving around on me and I have to hunt with my foot to find it. I found that with my FW, the foot petal stayed put and didn't move on me. Anyone else find this out too?
Thanks Janis, I copied this and will make it I put small dot of a sticky backed felt on the screw to protect the arm. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: as for the foot moving around I put a rubber pad on the floor for the foot pedal. Dottie Bog
Old 10-17-2011, 03:01 PM

I just got my second Featherweight today!!! I got one made in the year 1945, one of only 20,00 made in my birth year. JaneK here in the QB sold it to me. She sent it out on Sat., and it got here today!! Now that's fast service.
My little featherweight friend is named Ethel Jane, after the two owners before me. Tomorrow she will go with me to our local quilt guild's quilting retreat. It couldn't have been better timing!!! I'm thrilled to have her and she just purrs when she sews.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:47 PM

Do you still need an owner's manual? See my website www.thequiltgal.com.
Have you checked the light bulb? It could be burnt out. Easy to replace, push in and rotate toward you to remove. Push in and rotate away from you to put back in.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by quiltgal
Do you still need an owner's manual? See my website www.thequiltgal.com.
Have you checked the light bulb? It could be burnt out. Easy to replace, push in and rotate toward you to remove. Push in and rotate away from you to put back in.
:thumbup: :thumbup: THe light socket is broken had to order one hope it;s in tuesday thanks for the website Dottie bug