Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: at my first guild meeting

And met my first rude person ok I will stay there are more nice ones right??

Speaker is from warm and natural!

Blog Entries
    This is unbelievable .... what was her problem?

THere are people you're not going to get along with in any group. That's life. Ignore them and move forward!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltQtrs
    This is unbelievable .... what was her problem?
    I sat next to her.

that was her problem??

Sorry you had that experience. Everyone I have met at my guild is super nice.

maybe you sat in her best friends seat? or she was having a bad day/life - go back and sit as far as possible from her and see what you think after that :D

Don't one bad apple spoil the rest of it for your. Check out any bees they have that are accepting new members. A bee will give you a chance to become more personal with some of the quilters.

mltquilt

I agree, there are way more nice ones!

So you are going to let this person ruin the whole guild for you.

As long as I have been going to guild meetings, I have never seen anyone's name carved on a particular seat so that makes it available to anyone.
    The first meeting I ever went to, no one talked to me at all. I didn't go back for about two years and finally joined. I wish I had joined a different group as I ended up leaving this group after 5 years. So many cliques there it took all the fun out of it. My friend who still goes there said the group is barely hanging together. Ya think?

The current quild I belong to has over 400 members and we meet in the auditorium of a college. I like the speakers and a couple of the officers are really nice, but seems like there's nothing personal about it and I haven't made any quilty friends there at all. There are some obvious cliques. They do have some great speakers, though, and do marvelous charity work. I'd like to find a smaller group, unfortunately I work afternoons and that's when most groups meet!

Do you all think the Elm Creek Quilt books spoiled Quilt Guilds for all of us? Not a snob among them!!

Blog Entries
    You are welcome to come to our guild. Everyone is super nice and we share and laugh so much. It's not far down here from where you are!:-)

Quote Originally Posted by trisha
    Do you all think the Elm Creek Quilt books spoiled Quilt Guilds for all of us? Not a snob among them!!
    Hahaha but they do have their problems every now and then :)

Jim
    WOW....no one in our guild is a snob...its a nice cheery bunch of women ...and me....lol....my wife is also a member...we have great fun and learn so much. We always look forward to our thursday night meetings...keep going and just be overly nice to her ..smile..greet...smother her with friendship...maybe she had a really bad day..I know if I have had a bad day guild sure takes it away

So I sat in the back because I needed to be able to stand and I have to say one lady made a beeline towards me to make sure I was not alone. Then I had to stand up and say my name and I will say my views on a guild did not come to life. The one lady was having a bad night (at least that is what I am going to believe) Everyone there besides here was very nice and helpful. I joined the guild and I picked up 2 kits to make ronald mcdonald quilts and a pillow case. I checked out a one block wonder book which I am very excited about and I will say I no longer feel the way I did about guilds. I say to everyone please atleast check yours out and keep going because that one person who was upset becasue I sat next to her lost out on a great friendship!!! Thank you all for your support I am so happy will go to bed with a smile on my face!!

OHHH and the speaker talked about thread and needles I will start a new thread (he he) about this in the morning with all my notes!! You cannot believe the information I learned! Oh her quilts were amazing I wish I could have taken a pic of them all but way too many!

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltforme
    And met my first rude person ok I will stay there are more nice ones right??

Speaker is from warm and natural!
    So you were texting from the meeting?

During the break I did.

from past experience if you get more than aroung 12 people you will have problems and i am not talk about quilters just people in general

Quote Originally Posted by carhop
    from past experience if you get more than aroung 12 people you will have problems and i am not talk about quilters just people in general
    I noticed that when our guild grew and became too formal and unpersonal.

Blog Entries
    I plan to sign up with the guild again this year but I don't go for the "social stuff" (that's what I got you lot for - lol) I go primarily for the speakers.