Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My husband just doesnt understand >

My husband just doesnt understand

My husband just doesnt understand

Old 10-14-2011, 08:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Karen Powell
It has drywall hard wood floors windows celing fan Big TV Flat screen Where he watches TV, Usually football or basball all the time. It is 18 X 24 feet.
Sounds like all it needs is paint on the drywall and throw up some curtains on the windows. Then reclaim your space!

I would move the TV OUT of the room and hang it somewhere else, like the living room. How can he hear it with the sewing machine running, anyway?

RECLAIM YOUR SPACE!
Old 10-15-2011, 05:09 AM

I have to say I enjoy having a TV in my sewing room. That way I get to watch/listen to history, science, national geographic, discover, etc. DH & I enjoy different shows.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Greenheron
. I've speculated that he'd never recognize the plaid flannel from shirts in the back of the closet that haven't been worn for 20 years. Promised myself I won't go there unless I need a very special color. :roll: :roll:
Too funny!
Old 10-15-2011, 12:38 PM

Sounds to me like it is time to pitch a fit. Have you ever pitched a fit on him? Believe me - if done right - they never want to see another one.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:53 PM

WOW
Old 10-15-2011, 01:12 PM

Take his TV away, and take sports away from him and then he'll know the difference. Everybody is not the same but everybody has to accept what the other likes. My husband grumbles but he'll take me too a sewing store.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:08 PM

In these situations, I think I would gradually start moving my sewing stuff in the room. Set your sewing machine up and just start sewing. He thinks he has one over on you because he is enjoying the room. It is not likely you will forget about it. Smart ole boy isn't he? As you move your stuff in, gradually start crowding him out or start moving his stuff out.

It sounds like the room is finished and you just need to move in with your sewing stuff. You are most patient...10 years...no wonder he thinks the room is his. Fix the issue, you will be glad you did.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:08 PM

Just reread where you said your room is 18 x 24 feet. It sounds like our family room, which is 32 ft long. Too bad yours isn't just a tad longer, too. Of course, at the end of my family room is the door that leads to his den, lol. Where he seldom goes. Too bad I can't send you some of this house.

How about inviting in a couple of friends and moving him down to the far end and plugging in the tv down there? Give yourself 18 x 18, and put up a nice track across the ceiling that holds one of those folding doors. Let him have the other end of the room. Heck, how much room does a chair and a tv require? THen arrange your studio to suit yourself. And close the track riding door. If you miss him, no problem opening it.

If you want to put up a regular wall, bring in a handy man. Make it a HUNKY HANDI-MAN, and hubby might get the idea to turn the tv off once in a while, lol. THey don't usually charge more just because they are good looking, lol.

I have my computers, two sewing machines, three chests, a tv entertainment center (nothing like your dh's), two couches, four dogs, a formal dining table aka sewing table, lol, and moved my dh's rolltop desk into this room, and we get along. Hey, if I get tired of him, I turn the tv to something he doesn't like and he goes away. I don't do sports. We have a living room with tv, bedrooms with tvs...den with tv. Is that all it would take to get your to move along?

Think about it. That's a big room. lol...I should know, I hang out in one that size.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:00 PM

Hmmmmm . . . draw a pink line down the middle of the room? That should keep him on his side. Move all the storage to his side and set up your space, "girly style". If that doesn't work, build a wall to separate his area from yours. The wall can be cabinets or shelves. Is this too drastic? I don't think so. We all need our space. He should be able to understand that, right?
Old 10-16-2011, 06:42 AM

My thanks to all of you, there have been alot of great ideas. I appreciate you taking the time to ponder your thoughtfull and kind responces. I only wish many of you live here I Michigan we could really rally and put a sewing studio we could all enjoy. Best Regards Karen Powell X O