Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My least favorite thing..... >

My least favorite thing.....

My least favorite thing.....

Old 12-26-2010, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by davidwent
As a newbie, of course everything on my quilt is new. I am now basting the quilt with those *insert expletive here* pins!!! I hate it Especially with my fat fingers!
I saw a tute when I first joined this board on you tube and this lady had a tool that looked like a wooden screwdriver, but instead of a blade on the end it had grooves that when she pushed the pins through caught a groove and she closed it right up. I didn't think much of it at the time but would I love one now!!
Yes I am working on my quilt on Christmas...told ya I am hooked! LOL
David
Watch Sharon Schambers tut on you tube on basting a quilt. It shows how to put the sandwich together in the easiest way and how to baste the best way. You could also spray baste it you wanted to. But the way she puts her quilt together is absolutely the best way. Check it out.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:15 PM

I have that tool and love it. I can't remember what it is called but it's well worth the money.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:18 PM

I use the tool but I don't close my pins until I am completely through pinning. Then I go back and do them all at once. Much easier.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I use Pinmoors to bastes quilts now. I won't ever go back to safety pins. Check them out: http://www.pinmoor.com/about.html

Nothing else works as good as the Pinmoors. I have tried the ear plugs, sponges, erasers, earring backs, etc.
Those look neat! Can they only be bought from that site or does anyone else sell them?
Old 12-27-2010, 06:02 AM

Basting spray solves lots of those problems. Nothing shifts or sticks into you.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:09 AM

I just couldn't picture how a Kwik Klip is meant to be used, so I went to you tube and searched. There's a video there about Kwik Klip, just Kwik Klip, that shows someone using it. I can now see how it would be very helpful

Probably would be smart to include a link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6MD1H62_R4
Old 12-27-2010, 08:49 AM

My Kwik Klip works out very nicely just as shown in the You Tube. In addition to that tool I have the covers on my basting pins. They are a variety of colors and just snap on once and you leave them in place. With the covers and the klip your skin never touches the metal of the pins. The pins begin to hurt my fingers after a bit. The covers were at the quilt store and Hobby Lobby I believe. No longer have the packaging so can't provide the name. I think they were $9.99 for a large bag. More than I wanted to spend so used a coupon.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:21 AM

I have had my kwik klip for years and it works great for me.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:23 AM

The Kwik Clip is a great tool...use your J-store coupons! I also find the little plastic jackets for pins very helpful. I don't know what they are called but they are sold next to the safety pins. They come in a plastic bag of 300 and are all assorted colors. You need a needle-nosed pliers to put them on the pins, but it sure saves your poor fingers when pinning your quilts.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:41 AM

You described them better than I did. I find the pin covers a great help. No sore fingers when pinning, now.