Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My least favorite thing..... >

My least favorite thing.....

My least favorite thing.....

Old 12-27-2010, 11:42 AM

I just took an old kitchen spoon and had my hubby cut a slot in the edge, works great and didn't cost me anything.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by davidwent
As a newbie, of course everything on my quilt is new. I am now basting the quilt with those *insert expletive here* pins!!! I hate it Especially with my fat fingers!
I saw a tute when I first joined this board on you tube and this lady had a tool that looked like a wooden screwdriver, but instead of a blade on the end it had grooves that when she pushed the pins through caught a groove and she closed it right up. I didn't think much of it at the time but would I love one now!!
Yes I am working on my quilt on Christmas...told ya I am hooked! LOL
David
I love that tool !! works for closing & removing pins. most quilt stores should have them, but don't know what they call them. wooden handle with screw threads on end. grapefruilt spoon also works.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:20 AM

See if you can find a grapefruit spoon to use to close the pins. They have grooved edges to them. Try a dollar store or similarily cheap store. It should be cheaper than the "quilt" ones.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:00 PM

I'd seen hints about the spoons but I can't grip something that small for very long so the fat wooden handle on the kwik klip works a lot better for me.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I use Pinmoors to bastes quilts now. I won't ever go back to safety pins. Check them out: http://www.pinmoor.com/about.html

Nothing else works as good as the Pinmoors. I have tried the ear plugs, sponges, erasers, earring backs, etc.
Sorry but these are too expensive for me. I can but 200 bent pins at Joann's for about $5 with coupons. I often have several tops pinned at once so I need lots of pins.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by davidwent
As a newbie, of course everything on my quilt is new. I am now basting the quilt with those *insert expletive here* pins!!! I hate it Especially with my fat fingers!
I saw a tute when I first joined this board on you tube and this lady had a tool that looked like a wooden screwdriver, but instead of a blade on the end it had grooves that when she pushed the pins through caught a groove and she closed it right up. I didn't think much of it at the time but would I love one now!!
Yes I am working on my quilt on Christmas...told ya I am hooked! LOL
David
david..a grapefood spoon (one with the little notches at the tip) will save you some $$$ and work quite efficiently.