Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My little rant about shipping >

My little rant about shipping

My little rant about shipping

Old 09-01-2010, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
Hancocks of Paducah just announced they are shipping to Canada for the same rates as US

http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/content--id-14
And have you seen their new catalog......DH looked through it last night and said "I am in trouble, huh?"
Yep, he is. :lol:
Old 09-01-2010, 05:59 AM

Go to Connecting Threads. They ship to us here and it is very reasonable. plus, they are great to deal with.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:01 AM

I have cancelled several orders just because of the shipping costs. They are really getting out of hand. Have they not heard of Flat rate boxes?
Old 09-01-2010, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Originally Posted by Mad Gertie
Hello btiny36,
I feel like ranting with you!!!!
A couple of months ago I ordered some Jinny Beyer fabrics, which I can't buy in England. I ordered $63 worth because My shipping would only be $8 ( an offer for July only! ).
When eventually 4 weeks later I received a card from our local post office informing me they couln't deliver my parcel untill I had paid the customs charge of £15 , about $22 !!!! To cut a long story short, it turned out that half of it was VAT and the other half was Royal Mail charges!! Needless to say , I won't do that again. Mad Gertie from Kent
I feel sorry for anyone in the UK that's importing fabric. You certainly do get hit with a lot of fees. Supposedly there is a way for you to act as your own customs broker and avoid some of the fees. If anyone reading this has tried that route, it would be interesting to know how that worked for you!

The only way I can think of to avoid such high vat and Royal Mail charges when things are being delivered here in the UK is to ask for the parcel to be sent as a 'Gift'. (Post and shipping included)

That said, it isn't honest, but neither is the true cost of the astronomical charges we get lumbered with by Her Majesty's Customs.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by KonaLinda
Shipping to Hawaii is also ridiculous with some companies. Some even consider Hawaii as international. Seems many don't know that Flat-rate Priority Boxes from the PO cost the same no matter what state they are going to. Shipping is the first thing I look at when I go to a website.
Hi!!! I used to live in Kailua-Kona from 1975-1980. My brother and family still live there.. Peter McCollum... Also my first love owns the Sandwhich Isle dive shop. He's married now-- long time ago. Good memories- thanks
Old 09-01-2010, 08:41 PM

I was going to purchase from Ebay once and the shipping was so High I asked the seller why.And told him my Husband works at the post office and that I knew it didn't cost nearly that much for shipping.(But not anymore)and he told me to please don't purchase from his store it upset him so bad. I emailed him back and just said not a problem. :lol:

I always go for the free shipping. :thumbup:
Old 09-01-2010, 10:12 PM

When I have ordered things from USA the shipping has been registered mail. Maybe that is what it is for. The most I paid is $24 US and it was registered otherwise I would baulk at it too. Being a pensioner I have to be careful where my money goes and I am not getting the full pension either only just over $300 per fortnight. I would suggest next time check to see if it is registered.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:39 PM
Banned

Wow that is increidable. Vent all you want. that is what we are here for. God bless.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:37 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by penny doty
Wow that is increidable. Vent all you want. that is what we are here for. God bless.
sorry to be a wet blanket, but that isn't true.

Rants, raves, vents and flames are strongly discouraged. They serve no constructive purpose; they start arguments; and they make us look bad as a group. We end up sounding like a bunch of cranky old bats. (now, you know we aren't really; and I know we aren't really. but the rest of the world may not read through enough of the board to figure that out. :lol: )

This topic hasn't been deleted or locked for a few reasons:

1. Some responders have shared information about vendors they deal with who charge reasonable rates. (they offer solutions to the problem being grumbled about.)

2. It hasn't gone too far over the edge of reason or degenerated into arguments over what is or isn't reasonable. (but it is mostly page after page of people agreeing angrily about the obvious. :lol: )

3. It serves as a reminder that we need to shop carefully and intelligently. We need to understand our rights and responsibilities as consumers. We need to remember that nobody can force us to buy their products.

4. It serves as a reminder to look for solutions and not just grumble. In the case of shipping ... if you don't think the price is fair, walk away from the sale. problem solved. ;-)
Old 09-02-2010, 01:43 AM
Power Poster

Nothing like doing a little sending/shipping/mailing of things oneself to become aware of the cost of shipping.