Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 76

Thread: Pattern book rant!

  1. #1
    Super Member justwannaquilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Union, Missouri
    Posts
    1,576
    I hate them. Well not really. but.....

    I hate the fact that I have to buy THE WHOLE BOOK just to get one pattern out of it. Then looking for the book used it is one dollar cheaper than buying it NEW! GRRR. I wish I could just get the one pattern I want and leave it at that. I use to just rent books from the library for this purpose but then we moved away from our nice library and I hate it:(

    I guess "If the Hat Fits" from the book "Frightfully Crazy" by The Buggy Barn is NOT in my near future because I refuse to pay 22 dollars for ONE pattern! :thumbdown:

    There now I feel better. Sorry if I interupted someone or something.
    Thank you for reading!

  2. #2
    Moderator Up North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North East Lower peninsula of Michigan
    Posts
    6,162
    I find that part frustrating too. I will just go on line until I find a free pattern I like as well.

  3. #3
    Community Manager PatriceJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,203
    Blog Entries
    3
    quite often, if you see a pattern you like in one place, you can also find something very similar somewhere else.

    there are bazillions of free pattern sites on the internet. just about every fabric manufacturer offers them at their factory website. most quilting magazines have websites that offer at least a few freebies to attract new subscribers. many hundreds of other independent online sources, too.

    hunt down some freebies. it'll make you feel better. i promise. ;-)

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cooperstown, NY
    Posts
    232
    Blog Entries
    2
    The same goes for knitting patterns. I just spent I don't remember how much for a knitting book over the internet, only to find that the only sweater in it that I like is the one on the cover! Grr.

  5. #5
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,088
    Blog Entries
    1
    That is great advice Patrice :D:D:D
    I guess the books I gravitate to are more of the teaching variety like OBW's, or other techniques.

    I get irritated when looking at some books for $20+ that are more of a glorified pamphlet than a book :roll:

  6. #6
    Pam
    Pam is offline
    Super Member Pam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    Posts
    3,713
    I purchase many of my books at ER Hamilton Bookseller. Check this place out, the prices are super low, the quality is just like off the shelf, once in a while you will get a bent paper cover. Shipping is $3.50 for one book, or 100.

    Try it, you'll like it.

    http://www.edwardrhamilton.com/

  7. #7
    Power Poster dkabasketlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    10,215
    I don't usually buy a book unless there's more than one pattern I like. I try to get free patterns.

  8. #8
    Bernice H in Calif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Adelanto CA
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
    I hate them. Well not really. but.....

    I hate the fact that I have to buy THE WHOLE BOOK just to get one pattern out of it. Then looking for the book used it is one dollar cheaper than buying it NEW! GRRR. I wish I could just get the one pattern I want and leave it at that. I use to just rent books from the library for this purpose but then we moved away from our nice library and I hate it:(

    I guess "If the Hat Fits" from the book "Frightfully Crazy" by The Buggy Barn is NOT in my near future because I refuse to pay 22 dollars for ONE pattern! :thumbdown:

    There now I feel better. Sorry if I interupted someone or something.
    Thank you for reading!
    You might try looking it up at http://www.half.com I get a lot of books there, usually for lrss than half the retail price.

  9. #9
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,323
    Blog Entries
    19
    What really bugged me was when I bought a quilting book online, because I liked the quilt on the cover, and it wasn't in the book at all!

  10. #10
    Super Member Boston1954's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East Oklahoma - pining for Massachusetts
    Posts
    8,535
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    quite often, if you see a pattern you like in one place, you can also find something very similar somewhere else.

    there are bazillions of free pattern sites on the internet. just about every fabric manufacturer offers them at their factory website. most quilting magazines have websites that offer at least a few freebies to attract new subscribers. many hundreds of other independent online sources, too.

    hunt down some freebies. it'll make you feel better. i promise. ;-)
    How much is a bazillion?

  11. #11
    Senior Member Rachel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    918
    have you tried googling the name of the pattern? someone might sell it individually.

  12. #12
    Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,540
    AAANNNNDDD OK, you got me started. Over $70 for one pattern? I don't think so. I realize the designer wants to make a profit but really? $70! Let's just say I won't be buying that pattern either.

    I am so with you on this one and just had to throw in my 2 cents which really isn't worth 2 cents anyway. lol

  13. #13
    Super Member luv-e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Southeast Ohio
    Posts
    2,592
    I take the name of the book to the Library and ask if they can get in another library.[ inter library loan] I get books like that all the time. IF they have extra money, they buy it sometimes.

  14. #14
    Super Member charismah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ephrata, WA
    Posts
    8,915
    Blog Entries
    29
    I guess I am a SUCKER! I will buy a bok for one pattern.....Sometimes something that doesn't catch my eye one day will another ..so maybe if I have it long enough I will like another?

  15. #15
    Super Member Moonpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,851
    My book-buying is usually geared towards techniques, and not patterns. I've been lucky at yard sales this year, finding some good ones.

  16. #16
    Junior Member Lilaciris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Clinton Township, MIchigan
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
    I hate them. Well not really. but.....

    I hate the fact that I have to buy THE WHOLE BOOK just to get one pattern out of it. Then looking for the book used it is one dollar cheaper than buying it NEW! GRRR. I wish I could just get the one pattern I want and leave it at that. I use to just rent books from the library for this purpose but then we moved away from our nice library and I hate it:(

    I guess "If the Hat Fits" from the book "Frightfully Crazy" by The Buggy Barn is NOT in my near future because I refuse to pay 22 dollars for ONE pattern! :thumbdown:

    There now I feel better. Sorry if I interupted someone or something.
    Thank you for reading!
    I feel the same way and I might have found a solution.

    Ever heard of paperbookswap.com? My daughter uses it and she put a quilt book that I was looking for on her wish list.

    You get points for books that you post and the points are for you to "spend". There are some books that have long waiting lists (not necessarily quilt books) but this might be a good way to get the book, if you're willing to wait.

  17. #17
    Super Member Rosyhf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Longwood, Florida
    Posts
    2,897
    How about investing in Block Base? It has all the blocks....

  18. #18
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    I found a close up of this block online. It may help.

    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_KSsdjEIuHF...e+Hat+Fits.JPG

  19. #19
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    I bought the EQ7 program so I thought let's give it whirl. I put the quilt block image in EQ. Selected Trace Block and then selected print Foundation Piecing. EQ added the number sequence to the pieces and it was ready to print as a paper pieced pattern any size I wanted. Amazing! I didn't save the pattern I know it's copyrighted but I know I can make a pattern from any quilt block picture. It's almost scary.

  20. #20
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,663
    Blog Entries
    194
    what is block base?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosyhf
    How about investing in Block Base? It has all the blocks....

  21. #21
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,663
    Blog Entries
    194
    have fun with your EQ 7

    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I bought the EQ7 program so I thought let's give it whirl. I put the quilt block image in EQ. Selected Trace Block and then selected print Foundation Piecing. EQ added the number sequence to the pieces and it was ready to print as a paper pieced pattern any size I wanted. Amazing! I didn't save the pattern I know it's copyrighted but I know I can make a pattern from any quilt block picture. It's almost scary.

  22. #22
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,663
    Blog Entries
    194
    I know I get aggravated also on some of the books and magazines.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    861
    I agree that the price of quilt books is too high and I rarely buy them anymore.
    But I bought alot when I was learning to quilt.
    Now if I want to buy any kind of book I go to http://www.cheapestbookprice.com first and see what it's price is used. Sometimes I will buy a used book.
    They also have a website for buying used cd's and dvd's.

  24. #24
    Super Member Quilt4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Merrimac, MA
    Posts
    9,035
    Blog Entries
    1
    I know the feeling.

  25. #25
    tmg
    tmg is offline
    Senior Member tmg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kimberly, Al.
    Posts
    771
    Our county library has it to where we can check book out on line and they will send it to any library in the county. Might try and see if yours offers something like that. I found out that from one of the teachers at school. She knows how much my kids like to read. I KNOW WE spend well over $500 a year on books for them. Not complaining at all about it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.