Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Pattern book rant!

I buy the book(s)so I can look through them over and over and over again. Even if I don't plan to make all the quilts they are so beautiful to look at. I get a very small retirement check from a place I worked years ago and consider that my book and magazine money. Since it is already set aside for that and since I don't spend it for that all the time, it doesn't seem frivolous to buy something I enjoy reading just for pleasure.

What gets my goat is when you buy a book by a famous designer only to find about two patterns in there by them and the other
    ten or so designs are by other people.

I bought a book of table runners- first one I choose- error in cutting. told my lqs so they put a sticky in the other books with the correction.

That burns my bippy. (But I still love the book- just calculate to be sure they got the #s right now)

I love books, and have found that as the years go by , patterns I didn't used to be drawn to, I now like. Also I love to sit down with a stack, and spend time looking. Maybe I will like just one thing about a pattern, and it will give me an idea for something else. Also, I have picked up some used books on Amazon, they are always in new condition when they come. I just feel like they are a good investment for me,, or at least that is what I tell myself LOL

Quote Originally Posted by charismah
    I guess I am a SUCKER! I will buy a bok for one pattern.....Sometimes something that doesn't catch my eye one day will another ..so maybe if I have it long enough I will like another?
    If I like it enough, I'lll buy the book for one too.....

Quote Originally Posted by Up North
    I find that part frustrating too. I will just go on line until I find a free pattern I like as well.
    Me too. Very seldom do I want the whole book. I love the free patterns online.

Blog Entries
    I get most of my books and magazines from the New England Quilt Museum. People donate their unwanted books all the time and extras are sold for not more than $10. You can email them with requests, questions and prices. To borrow books from their library, you have to be a member and they mail them to you.

seemingly in the land of infants & toddlers!
    I often quilt with 5 close friends & we are always sharing books & patterns. Recently one of the gals found a new book while shopping for $24 & hesitated to spend that much. Then her DH said 'You'll be sharing it anyway, why not go ahead & buy it'?
    My point being, if you can make your one pattern then keep your book in circulation with others, it's well worth the money spent.

Blog Entries
    I have found Electric Quilt to be well worth what I paid for it because I can take a block and design any quilt I want with it. If I see something I like I either find the block in EQ or draw it and then play with it.
    I buy books for the technique but as I almost always change the patterns anyway I seldom use patterns.

Thanks everyone for all the info. I guess as they say I'll figure it out. lol

I have checked every link posted and no place has the book except a couple online quilt stores, and a couple on ebay and one on amazon. all about the same price.
    I did find it at one quilt store for 16.00 so thats not AS bad. lol

I hear you! I found a Buggy Barn Dog Days, also for $22. I also refused to pay that much for 1 pattern. I'll see if I can find it at the library.

At the urging of my daughter, a middle school history teacher (she has gotten text books), I went on Amazon.com, put in the name of the book. If they have it, you get a list of both new and old. I recently got a quilting book (brand new) for 25% of the published price. Of course you pay shipping and handling but it still came to much less than the published price and even the 30% you get off at JoAnns (down from 40%). There were listings for much less; I just opted for a particular one. Will do it again.

I use the public library, too. In my readings, I often find books that are in my Must Have category. I buy on Ebay, at Amazon, and Half.com. Another place to buy good used sewing and quilting books is on the yahoo group, Sew Its For Sale. Check it out, great bunch of sewing gals.

As much as I love my fabric stash, I love collecting books. Having my very own library is very special to me. Cooking and quilting books are one of my joys!

Sometimes, I will use a pattern in one of my books to make a quilt, but most of the time the books just lift my spirits and inspire me. I also like reading about antique quilts and the women who made them. Barbara Brackman is a great quilt historian; I especially like her books.

Thank you for this link. (The one for the cheapest prices.) I just ordered a book I have been wanting and with the shipping, got it for less than what it is at retail price. (Yes, I did buy this book for ONE pattern. I saw it in a picture of a quilt store in Canada, called them and asked what the name of the pattern was, and they told me it was from a book. I have been looking for the book without having to pay full retail.)

Most of my books on my shelves did not get purchased at retail price. The sad thing is that the books that I did purchase for full price are now MUCH cheaper on Ebay or other sites and I haven't used patterns out of the books, so I could have gotten them for much cheaper if I would have waited.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam
    I purchase many of my books at ER Hamilton Bookseller. Check this place out, the prices are super low, the quality is just like off the shelf, once in a while you will get a bent paper cover. Shipping is $3.50 for one book, or 100.

Try it, you'll like it.

http://www.edwardrhamilton.com/
    Now you've done it! I visited this website and WOW!! I just ordered 5 quilt books for a total of $27.75 and only $3.50 for shipping!

Same here! I have done my buying in the past and am now waiting to find what I want on line!

I have bought new and used books online at retailers for much lower prices, and I have also found quilt pattern books at my local library. I have also bought books for one pattern, which I don't like to do. It depends on how much I like that one pattern! I just look around at other places online until I find the best price available. I'm used to doing this sometimes for a toy or game my boys just "have to have"!

See If someone might have the book and ask them to copy the pattern and send it to you.

Blog Entries
    I do buy all my books used..either from Amazon links or on eBay. I usually find more than one pattern in a book I like, but I generally buy books with techniques rather than specific patterns.

I am curious to know what this pattern looks like. does anyone have a pic of it?

has anyone else used

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/

good prices and free shipping

I have a wish list, maybe my relatives will buy me a book for my birthday

something that I don't like is block-of-the-month patterns, $15+ per month for just the pattern is too much for me

Blog Entries
    [quote=mary quite contrary]AAANNNNDDD OK, you got me started. Over $70 for one pattern?
    --------------------------------------------
    I was searching eBay for a pattern for Diane Von Furstenburg's marvelous
    1970s wrap dress. I almost choked when I saw that the pattern alone was
    125 dollars!!

DIANE VON FURSTENBERG WRAP DRESS VOGUE PATTERN 1548
    $125.00

I agree with you. That's a lot of money for one pattern. I would just go online for patterns.

Blog Entries
    The same goes for almost any "out-of-print" item. I looked up a 1994 CD and someone on Amazon was asking $120! I love the artist, but not that much!

Rosyhf, I did a search & found a blog with the picture posted.
    http://kimsbigquiltingadventure.blog...day-night.html

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast