Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pattern book rant!

I feel your agony over buying whole book for one or two patterns. I usually buy used from online, library book sale, flea markets, auctions.

When I want a particular book I look on Amazon.com. They usually have a "used" book. I bought several for just $2. I try to buy several from the same seller so that the shipping is cheaper. The used books I've gotten have been as good as new. Only a few have any signs of wear and I kind of enjoy reading the margin notes someone else wrote.

Keep a close watch on garage sales, thrift stores, auctions and you can usually pick up books cheap. HOWEVER, if there's only one pattern I like, and I REALLY like it, I buy the book but I wait until the second time I look at it. I've found that after a couple of months my tastes change and I may like something else in that book or think of a way to modify another pattern to my tastes. If it's really expensive in the store, I check online or wait until they have a sale or I have a coupon.

I get some of my books there. They have a nice collection and the books are in good condition. Right now they have no shipping cost til the end of July I think.You can request a free catalog on their site.. that is how I got started.. They don't just have quilting books, they have all kinds.. At the Hamilton Book company
    Katie

Quote Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
    I hate them. Well not really. but.....

I hate the fact that I have to buy THE WHOLE BOOK just to get one pattern out of it. Then looking for the book used it is one dollar cheaper than buying it NEW! GRRR. I wish I could just get the one pattern I want and leave it at that. I use to just rent books from the library for this purpose but then we moved away from our nice library and I hate it:(

I guess "If the Hat Fits" from the book "Frightfully Crazy" by The Buggy Barn is NOT in my near future because I refuse to pay 22 dollars for ONE pattern! :thumbdown:

There now I feel better. Sorry if I interupted someone or something.
    Thank you for reading!
    Have you checked with Joann to see if they carry the book. With their 50% coupon, it wouldn't hurt so bad.

You might try ConnectingThreads.com. Their books are usually 40% off and they also carry fabric, samplers, kits, etc. I have purchased fabric from them; was pleased. The have closeouts all the time; their fabric is never more than $5.96/yard and often on sale. They have complete kits, also on sale. Worth a look.

I love connecting threads. Just ordered from them. They let you look inside their books at several pages so you know at least some of what is in them. Great site.

I dont make much money anymore, so I have to just stay away from the new patterns and books at the Quiltshop! If I see something, I will want to buy it, so I dont look..
    I look at thrift stores and rummage sales, and on the CLassifieds here, I figure I can support my friends here, plus get a great bargin!

There is also Free Cycle. Google Free Cycle plus your home town and when it comes up, join up. It's free. You can get rid of things you don't want or need anymore with an "offer" and you can also put in a "wanted" for what you would like to have. You will have to pick up what you want if someone contacts you and has what you have asked for.

The prices of quilt books are over the moon. I try to get used at Amazon.com, sometimes I get a deal.

What I don't like is when you have to buy their very expensive clothe to make a specific quilt. Like the beautiful one that Fons & Porter had , I think last month. I absolutely love the tulip quilt, but can't afford the center tulip cloth. Eventually I will find a large block or I will just have to try to appliqué something that looks similar.

justwannaquilt, I KNOW the feeling!! BTW, I love your little quilting guy!! He looks happy and content! Quilting does that,huh?

I have a book now that I am finding out the measurements are wrong for the blocks they show. I have wasted 2 yds of fabric because I cut them out "by the book" and now they don't work. I finally had to draw the blocks myself to get the pieces right. So I would suggest not buying the books at all, bring your camera with you and take pictures of the blocks you like and then draw them your self. That way you have a permanent pattern as well

There are so many free patterns on the web. Look on the selvage of your fabric. There is usually the name of the manufacturer & their website. Most have free patterns on them. Also lots of independent sites. You can also put the name of the pattern you want in a Google search & be overwhelmed with how many you get. Good luck & have fun

Some book do make mistakes and if they have a web site you can go there. I have found corrections listed for books and patterns. You might want to check this out..

Quote Originally Posted by seasaw2mch
    I have a book now that I am finding out the measurements are wrong for the blocks they show. I have wasted 2 yds of fabric because I cut them out "by the book" and now they don't work. I finally had to draw the blocks myself to get the pieces right. So I would suggest not buying the books at all, bring your camera with you and take pictures of the blocks you like and then draw them your self. That way you have a permanent pattern as well

My guilty pleasure is a place called Half Price Books. A lot of times they will buy out the last of warehouse runs, etc. I just bought a bunch of new quilting books at $5 each. These are pretty nice ones, but they are not hot-off-the-press-latest-book-on-the-market but I'm new to quilting so it works for me. It also carries used books in hard and paperback (I really like it when I can sell something back, but I find it hard to give up a book).

Quote Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
    I hate them. Well not really. but.....

I hate the fact that I have to buy THE WHOLE BOOK just to get one pattern out of it. Then looking for the book used it is one dollar cheaper than buying it NEW! GRRR. I wish I could just get the one pattern I want and leave it at that. I use to just rent books from the library for this purpose but then we moved away from our nice library and I hate it:(

I guess "If the Hat Fits" from the book "Frightfully Crazy" by The Buggy Barn is NOT in my near future because I refuse to pay 22 dollars for ONE pattern! :thumbdown:

There now I feel better. Sorry if I interupted someone or something.
    Thank you for reading!
    all you have to do is let me know which book and which pattern. i probably have all of them and see that you get what you need. that is what quilters do the best...share. your friend.

Where are the freebies on the internet? I can only find a few.

There are far too many to list! You can get lost on these pages for hours. I hope this is what you were asking for.

Here are a few links to try:

http://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore.html
    http://quiltville.com/
    http://www.freequilt.com/index.html
    http://mail.caroldoak.com/free-quilt-patterns.php

When you see a book you like, check out Amazon.com or Abebooks.com and put in the name and author to see if a used or seriously discounted volume is in the listing. Can't remember the last time I paid full price for a book.

Go to the manufacter sites they have all kinds of free projects.

Just google "free quilt patterns" it will give you a whole list of places.

Blog Entries
    I buy a lot of magazine and books. Usually buy from Amazon from the used books listed. However, I just went the the Edward R Hamilton site that someone posted and ended up buying 6 books for a total of 31.20. Isn't that great. I got the following books...

Blendable Curves: stack, slice & sew unique quilts
    Carol Armstrong's Patches & Posies
    Contemporary Classics in Plaids & Stripes
    Landscape quilts for kids
    Log Cabin Quilts with Attitude
    Shifting Perspectives: Trim your way to one-of-a-kind

Can't wait to receive them.

Try half.com, they have many books, CHEAP

I also cringe at the cost of new books - and just don't buy them. I am also an ebay watcher and amazon's used book sellers... My local library has a used book store in it that I don't get too often because it has odd hours but I've done very well there - when there is something that is wanted. Most of the time they do not have quilting books in there...

My local library will get a book (if they are able to) from out of our county for $3. I am doing that right now (if they are able to locate it - I hope they can and that I find out soon so I can stop wondering if I'll be getting my book!) for the Foundation Pieced Nature Quilts book.. I found it on Ebay - made the mistake of mentioning it here and the price jacked up - the same seller has sold other copies of this book and it sold for only $10 which I would have done but nope.. not going to spend $22 plus shipping to make one quilt. grrr... then I remembered the library and their $3 book service...

I don't think they'd have that Buggy Barns quilt though - I also think it's really sharp! I looked for it used for cheap and came up empty... :(

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast