Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My LQS >

My LQS

My LQS

Old 01-16-2010, 04:58 PM

So is there generally a time of year that manufactures come out with a new line of fabric designs or is it random timing?
Old 01-16-2010, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by ddrobins1956
I was at our Joanne's yesterday and they had no fat quarters, none. The saleslady said they had a problem with them and that they would be getting more. She didn't say what they problem was though. Funny, eh?
I was at WallMart a week or so ago and I was buying quite a bit of fabric, mostly a yard of this and a yard of that and some half yard measures, for a couple of new quilts I have planned. The lady doing the cutting said, geez, you quilters and your half yards of this and that. I thought to myself that she should be glad of us keeping her in a job. She won't have it long as a new super Wallmart is planned for that location and that will be the end of the fabric dept. Oh well.
I had a young lady say something similar to me at JoAnns. I brought up over twenty bolts and asked for a half yard a piece. She had such an attitude. She also had to re-cut a few because she was undercutting them by over an inch. She was so angry when she got done. I did say something to the manager that day. Haven't seen her at the cutting table again.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:17 PM

You realize as we get older we are all at the mercy of the young and impatient. Scary ,eh?....lol
Old 01-16-2010, 06:00 PM

Wow! My joanns is very good even the young ones that work there for the most part. They are usually pretty nice and ask what you are making and what not.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:04 PM

I have run into that a couple times when I was fairly new to quilting, at a shop here in Denver the owners write a couple columns in a few national magazines , so I thought they'd be helpful, or at least be appreciative of someone new to the craft.... not so much. I haven't been back to that store since maybe mid 90's... they don't need my business I guess.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ddrobins1956
I was at our Joanne's yesterday and they had no fat quarters, none. The saleslady said they had a problem with them and that they would be getting more. She didn't say what they problem was though. Funny, eh?
I was at WallMart a week or so ago and I was buying quite a bit of fabric, mostly a yard of this and a yard of that and some half yard measures, for a couple of new quilts I have planned. The lady doing the cutting said, geez, you quilters and your half yards of this and that. I thought to myself that she should be glad of us keeping her in a job. She won't have it long as a new super Wallmart is planned for that location and that will be the end of the fabric dept. Oh well.
The FQ's at Joann's were cut short, crooked, and the labels were harder than heck to get off.... I am happy to see they are going with a different supplier :wink:

I think the new lines come out several times a year... The new ones at one online shop I frequent say some should be in this month :D:D:D

You LQS should be friendlier...and more helpful!!! Isn't that part of why we pay the higher prices?
Old 01-16-2010, 06:13 PM

You LQS should be friendlier...and more helpful!!! Isn't that part of why we pay the higher prices?[/quote]

Yes that is what I thought too! But they didnt seem too nice, she wasnt mean or anything just not overly friendly. I asked for Breast cancer fabrics and she said "No I quit getting those years ago because so many other places have them" I thought it was a little off putting the way in which she acted about it almost like that was in the past and why would I want that kind of fabric (seems odd considering it is for breast cancer). They probably had not even a 1/4 of what joanns has for fabric very minimal. I dont think I will go back unless I want to take a class.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by samroberts01
Yes that is what I thought too! But they didnt seem too nice, she wasnt mean or anything just not overly friendly. I asked for Breast cancer fabrics and she said "No I quit getting those years ago because so many other places have them" I thought it was a little off putting the way in which she acted about it almost like that was in the past and why would I want that kind of fabric (seems odd considering it is for breast cancer). They probably had not even a 1/4 of what joanns has for fabric very minimal. I dont think I will go back unless I want to take a class.
The reason she has a minimal inventory is she has to pay for it not some corporation that sells a whole lot of other stuff.

If several shops in her area carry the same thing it can sit in her inventory for years and cost her space and money.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by dglvr
Some of them had such large sells just before the end of the year to reduce inventory. Now they just need to replenish.
It helps reduce counting time but it also reduces business.
I think I'd take the more time to count rather than risk loosing business. Also being not so nice reduces business but they should have explained the lacking inventory to you. :|
how true.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:48 PM
Power Poster

It would be so disappointing to go to the LQS and not see lots of fun fabrics.