Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Machine Went to that Great Quilting Guild in the Sky >

My Machine Went to that Great Quilting Guild in the Sky

My Machine Went to that Great Quilting Guild in the Sky

Old 08-03-2011, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble
Thank you all of you for your funny, commiserating, and wise comments and for the great stories you shared. I had quite a few laughs and am still smiling at the things you all wrote.

I've spent hours reading through the board about sewing machines. It is helping me form what i'd like to do in my mind. There are so many plusses to a good vintage sewing machine and i am someone who loves and appreciates connections to the past. I know I would love a vintage machine. But on the other hand... the allure of a new model with fancy stitch capabilities is a draw too. So many of you said things about the importance of having a back up machine, which I sure realized when mine died in mid project.

So I am thinking...why not both? Vintage & New?

We have sewing machine shop in the area that is offering me a deal on a Baby Lock Tempo floor model for half price and cleaned and tuned with the full warranty. It has many of the handy dandy quilting features i was hoping for... such as needle up/down, drop feeds, quilting feet, speed control, the option of starting and stopping with a push button, see through bobbin case (I hate running out of thread in the middle of a continuous line.) Not to mention fancy pants stitching. So I'm going to go for it.

But on the vintage side, I'd really like your advice. I'd like to find an electric machine in perfect working order and good condition, maybe from the 1950's. Jacquie mentioned how she likes the Singer 301 long bed. And Miriam recommended the Singer 403 with disks. (Thanks for those recommendations!) I started looking for those on eBay and did indeed find some good ones. Of course it depends on condition and whether or not I will need to be taking it to a dealer when it arrives... but I'm not sure what a reasonable price range is.

I was wondering: Do any more of you have opinions on your favorite vintage machines that you would like to share? And do only some vintage machines have the capacity for free motion quilting? (I'm just learning to do that.) On a vintage machine, is it merely a matter of being able to drop the feed dogs?

I'd appreciate any insights you might have!
If you want a vintage machine with one of the larger arm dimensions I would suggest a 201 or 15-91 both from Singer. Heavy as all the dickens, but solid, all metal gears and direct drive motors, meaning NO belts to slip. The 15-91 is an oscillating type machine and its a little easier to reach the bobbin case when you run out of thread, and the bobbins hold more thread than the 201. The 201 is about a half inch wider under the arm, but has a horizontal drop in bobbin but which I happen to prefer, however it means you must remove item you are sewing to get to bobbin case and the bobbins are smaller thus hold less thread. The 201 is a rotary type hook. I have both, and they both sew wonderful straight stitches forward and reverse and there are zig sag attachments and buttonhole attch etc readily available for them. Both are low shank machines. Really sorry for the loss of your old friend, but I suspect you will be doing the happy dance really soon. :-D :-D
Old 08-03-2011, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by jlm5419
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I never felt anything when my older machines gave up the ghost. I just thought yippee! room for another one! I have several vintage Singers so I always have a working machine on hand.
I don't know of any new machine that has metal gears for under $1000. ?
Does a new machine with all metal gears even exist?
I don't think so... :-(
Old 08-03-2011, 03:15 PM

Pauses with a moment of silence and then realize you get to go shopping for some therapy.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:52 PM

Time to shop....Fun, Fun Fun....There are a lot of neat machines available today...
Old 08-03-2011, 06:05 PM

Sorry for your loss but hopefully you'll be able to buy yourself another great machine that will also last a very long time. Have fun shopping!!
Old 08-03-2011, 06:40 PM

Only had the binding and quilting the edges left to do... then my 21 year old White sewing machine made a few clunking noises and seized up with the needle stuck down in the fabric. It took some time and near panic to get it out. After taking the machine panels off, we found that one of the plastic gears (Plastic gears!) had too many teeth worn down and it could no longer engage the bobbin case.

It was only a $99 machine anyway and after years of sewing children's clothes, crafts, and even my daughter's prom gown, it owed me nothing.
The silver lining? DH told me to buy a new one, and to get a good one this time without plastic gears! Yahoo! So i've been reading all the topics here having to do with which features and machines are most appreciated. Got a lot of good advice from you all and I want to say thanks to all those who share such great stuff!
That stinks when you lose what you feel has lasted you forever, I felt that way with my 99.00 Kenmore machine had it for 25 years sewing clothes for the kids and then starting for the grands. I was doing Christmas items in Sept and it quit, took it in, they told me there were no more parts available for that type of machine. So I took it home and cried what would I do.. Well DH had a plan he went and bought me a Brother machine and didn't tell me. So when he got home and I told him about it, he hugged me and said he was sorry. Then I finished fixing dinner and he had it on the table when I brought all the food to the table (separate rooms)and I was in disbelief. When that one died I received another one and have a back up Brother as well.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:34 PM
Power Poster

I still have an Elna that DIED in 1992. I hated to lose that machine. It took me until a month or two ago to finally duplicate it. I have tested a lot of machines in the mean time. I can tell you what I sure don't like. PLASTIC deteriorates. COMPUTERS fry. I do like all metal, too. I do like something that is easy to see the needle - no looking past the tension - save on neck strain. I do like some fancy stitches. I do like a good light. I do not like a machine that won't stop where and when I tell it to. I don't like one that wants take an extra step before it stops. I prefer an old fashioned button hole maker to a button hole foot - seems like less guess work. An old precision sewing machine is one that is made well and will sew well. I want one that will sew through some heavy fabric as well as light weight fabric. Yahoo has groups for a lot of different machines. You might go nose around on one of them and see what is what. Some times you can get a feel for what goes out on them. Not all old machines of the same make are equal. Some were used harder than others, some weren't much good from the manufacture. Some were good enough to rival anything out there today. There are a lot of people on the FW and the 301 band wagon. Good machines. But you might not like them as well as something else. One or two of the old Kenmore machines have some pretty nice stitches too. I have my preference for presser foot - I like to try that foot on different machines to see how I like it. DH says "Good tools don't cost you money they make you money." He has never begrudged my buying a sewing machine that cost more than any of his power tools. My sewing machine does more than his drill or his saw. If you buy from a private person spend some time checking out the machine. Get comfortable. Check everything you can think of to check. Do you want one you can work on if necessary? A lot of the vintage machines aren't all that hard to work on now that we can find service manuals on line. Maybe you aren't inclined to work on your own machine. On CL there seems to be people who sell a lot of machines. Some of them work on the machines and can do a good job and sell for less than ebay or a store and you can get a great machine.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:47 AM

Thanks to the direction and advice of you vintage sewing machine enthusiasts, I started searching in earnest. Did a lot of reading in Vintage Sewing Machine Shop too. I found I was leaning most toward the Singer 401.

The exciting news for me was that it didn't take long to find a great one! I found her on eBay. She's more expensive than a lot of the rock bottom bargains I found, but she has been professionally serviced and adjusted by an authorized Singer Repair Service, which would have been at least another $100 in our area. The seller is also a sewing teacher with more than 60 years experience and she ran this baby through a few projects to make sure everything was functioning beautifully. And the seller is a little nuts about her two little pugs - which always warms my heart. Then, when you add in the fact that the machine came with everything and what those things would cost if I bought them separately... cams and accessories out the Whazoo!...Well, I'm elated to be this Singer's lucky new owner! Look forward to working on projects with her too!

So thank you everyone for your kind and funny words and friendly advice!

My new partner
[ATTACH=CONFIG]238944[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-238938.bmp   attachment-238939.bmp   attachment-238940.bmp  
Old 08-09-2011, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

Oh no! I'm so sorry, but I think you got your money's worth out of it. Have fun shopping for a new one.

Your 401 is exactly like my mom's that my sister now has.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:11 AM

Thanks to the direction and advice of you vintage sewing machine enthusiasts, I started searching in earnest. Did a lot of reading in Vintage Sewing Machine Shop too. I found I was leaning most toward the Singer 401.

The exciting news for me was that it didn't take long to find a great one! I found her on eBay. She's more expensive than a lot of the rock bottom bargains I found, but she has been professionally serviced and adjusted by an authorized Singer Repair Service, which would have been at least another $100 in our area. The seller is also a sewing teacher with more than 60 years experience and she ran this baby through a few projects to make sure everything was functioning beautifully. And the seller is a little nuts about her two little pugs - which always warms my heart. Then, when you add in the fact that the machine came with everything and what those things would cost if I bought them separately... cams and accessories out the Whazoo!...Well, I'm elated to be this Singer's lucky new owner! Look forward to working on projects with her too!

So thank you everyone for your kind and funny words and friendly advice!
She looks like a beauty. I hope you have many happy hours sewing with her.