Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Machine Went to that Great Quilting Guild in the Sky >

My Machine Went to that Great Quilting Guild in the Sky

My Machine Went to that Great Quilting Guild in the Sky

Old 08-09-2011, 07:15 AM

Lara, how wonderful.

FYI, in case you don't already know... in addition to the Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.... there are 3 other sites you should know about.

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130994-1.htm

VSMS............ Attachments Thread
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-139458-1.htm

Quilts made using vintage machines!
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-134918-1.htm

Enjoy your Singer 401. I just purchased one from our local craigslist for my GS when he gets older. It is a sturdy machine.

:-D
Old 08-10-2011, 10:15 AM

Thanks everyone for your congratulations!

Linda, the links you provided are the bees knees! I am looking forward to looking at those threads more closely when i get time, but already got inspired in the Quilts made using vintage machines section!

I was torn between the singer 401A and the Singer 500 Rocketeer from the same wonderful seller (roxie8759) and in a similarly excellent condition. The Rocketeer's 50's space age styling really hooked me and it was a close decision.

The funniest coincidence happened in my search for a vintage sewing machine. The Quilting Board's very own patdesign, posting again at the top of page 5, who was also so kind with sharing advice, turned out to be my eBay sewing machine seller! And she never said a peep about having sewing machines for sale. Talk about sharing advice without an ulterior motive! Thank you sooooo much Pat! :thumbup:
We discovered eachother yesterday after i posted photos of my Singer 401 and Pat recognized her machine. At about the same time I was looking at the little pug (Roxie!) in patdesign's avatar and planning to ask her about it. It is a small world and the internet makes it even smaller! :D :D :D :D :D
Old 08-10-2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble
Thanks everyone for your congratulations!

The funniest coincidence happened in my search for a vintage sewing machine. The Quilting Board's very own patdesign, posting again at the top of page 5, who was also so kind with sharing advice, turned out to be my eBay sewing machine seller! And she never said a peep about having sewing machines for sale. Talk about sharing advice without an ulterior motive! Thank you sooooo much Pat! :thumbup:
We discovered eachother yesterday after i posted photos of my Singer 401 and Pat recognized her machine. At about the same time I was looking at the little pug (Roxie!) in patdesign's avatar and planning to ask her about it. It is a small world and the internet makes it even smaller! :D :D :D :D :D
That is so extra cool! Sew glad you made the leap. Have fun and will be looking for you on the board... posting what you make with your super duper vintage sewing machine. :thumbup:
Old 08-10-2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Greenheron
She'll be waiting on the Rainbow Bridge of Fat Quarters to accompany you to the land of puffy batting where there is always time to quilt, thread never breaks and beautifully mitered binding attaches itself magically when quilting is complete. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
You forgot the dogs/cats sitting on the Fat Quarters waiting to keep us company as we quilt! LOL
Old 08-17-2011, 07:46 AM

Just wanted to say this:
After having some time to do a little sewing on the Singer 401A; I wish i had a sewing machine this good to work with years ago! My old White never even dreamed of stitching this well.

My daughter K named the Singer 401 "Bernardo" She was so taken with Bernardo that she has now become co-owner with me. K is only just beginning to learn to sew but is already better than I was in my early years. (I know, machines are usually named in the feminine gender... but we'll have a "guy" keeping us in stitches. K does not know there is a brand called Bernina either)

I just wanted to say Thank You Pat for a great sewing machine! And also for all your help answering my questions about him. ;)

The Baby Lock Tempo I got for half price sews like a dream too. I had already been thinking of referring to her as Bernice, before I heard K say she wanted to call the 401 Bernardo. So they go together nicely, both in capacities and names.
I feel very, very spoiled now. The two of these machines make me look like a much better seamstress than i ever knew I could be. I'm no longer feeling too sentimental about my defunct old White and wish I had made the switch years ago.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:07 AM

Thank you for your kind words, it is always great to know that a machine found a good, loving and appreciative home.:)
Old 10-22-2011, 12:21 PM

sure you have probably replaced your dear friend by now -- know about those plastic gears -- good ones to stay away from

i always recommend the elna su 68 on my pattern review site -- the elna made during the 60s and 70s are little workhorses -- this was before the computerized elnas -- i have three and i just love them -- i see them every so often on ebay usually selling for around $400 -- well worth the money in my opinion -- the needle action is like a garage door going down -- it just keeps grinding down until it makes it through -- have used mine to repair leather purses, shoes and coats as well as for heavy canvases

and since the su 68 are gear driven -- taken down is a breeze for oiling and cleaning
Old 10-22-2011, 12:24 PM

sure you have probably replaced your dear friend by now -- know about those plastic gears -- good ones to stay away from

i always recommend the elna su 68 on my pattern review site -- the elna made during the 60s and 70s are little workhorses -- this was before the computerized elnas -- i have three and i just love them -- i see them every so often on ebay usually selling for around $400 -- well worth the money in my opinion -- the needle action is like a garage door going down -- it just keeps grinding down until it makes it through -- have used mine to repair leather purses, shoes and coats as well as for heavy canvases

and since the su 68 are gear driven -- taken down is a breeze for oiling and cleaning