Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My machine won't turn on!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Hoping it's a minor problem and is easily fixed
    It's not a stash-it's a fabric library!
    http://www.mamisquilts.com/

Prayer always works, just not always the way we anticipate! Hugs to you!!
    Lori McC

I am sure the other poster was right. It Overheated and needed to cool off, thats all . I have had things to that before. I would watch it from now on and if it starts getting warm stop and let it cool down. Then after things get better moneywise start looking in thrift stores etc. And definately put an ad on freecycle. When I moved I gave away about a dozen machines. Not all worked but I needed them gone fast.I even freecycled one after I got here.

OH NO!!!! that is awful. say a prayer and as my hubby says "check for paper in the tray" there is nothing to make you feel more stupid or relived than to find that the plug was out or that it was unplugged. hubby is bad about doing that to me.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

If you lived any where near me I can loan you a machine until after Christmas.

You never told us what brand and model of machine that you are using but it may be that it is overheating as you mentioned that it was quite warm. There are some machines out there that will shut down when they have been overheated. So the advise right now is slow and steady but take some breaks and shut down and let it cool off.

i would loan u one of mine but your to far away hope u get it working mary min ms.
    share a smile everyday. it might make someones day.smile

When mine did that, it was the foot pedal. I have 2 machines (both Brothers) and one foot pedal fit the other so I switched it out at my son's suggestion I do that when I was talking to him about my unhappiness with my machine, and kept going.
    Take time to recharge your batteries. Itís hard to see where youíre going when your lights are dim. Robert H. Connelly

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    YIKES !! sounds like its time for the sewing machine dr !
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Banned
    Blog Entries
    check the plug and wiring anyway...those things just don't happen so that we can clean all day...hehehe
    glad it is ON now though!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    Try everything that linda8450 said. It's probably something simple. If all else fails, see if you can borrow a machine from a friend. Good luck.
    Exactly what I think, too!

Blog Entries
    I'm so happpy for you! I was getting sadder and sadder reading all the suggestions and beginning to think that you were in for an expensive fix!!!! Now we don't even have to worry about what was wrong!

Blog Entries
    I just opened this thread. I was wishing we were neighbors so I could loan you mine & then I read that it is working. HOORAY! It must have just been overheated and wanted a break. What an awful time for a machine to go out. So glad it is working again. Now you can have a Merry Christmas!
    Judy

Just happy to hear that it is back in working order. Anxiety levels do tend to elevate fairly quickly this time of year! Glad to hear you laughed afterwards.
    DI
    DI ... itís good to be princess

Ask and it shall be given ... seek and ye shall find.

1. Try plugging into another socket.
    2. While it is possible that your switch is bad, more likely it is just the foot pedal. Depending on your machine, this can vary from $19 to about $95. Most dealers or repair places have one in stock that will fit your machine.
    3. Could be the switch. If this is the case, try switching it a bunch of times to get it ON. Then plug the machine into a surge protector with a switch. Tape the switch on your machine so that you don't accidentally turn it off. Then use the surge protector to switch your machine on and off. I had to do this for 4 months once with a computer monitor - we were just waiting for a good sale to get the current flat screen type and get rid of the huge, mongo screen forever.
    4. Consider creating an emergency fund for sewing machine repair. I have two such emergency funds - one for sewing machine repair and one for vet emergencies. Eventually, you KNOW you will have to use the fund!
    Last edited by IAmCatOwned; 12-05-2011 at 03:03 PM.

Sorry you have this problem, hope it works out to be nothing bad. joycej

That's why everyone should have at least TWO back up machines. I'm sorry you're having such problems, I can't imagine anything worse than being without a machine.
    If no one ever experimented we'd all still be making 4 patches.

Blog Entries
    Did you try plugging it another outlet. Good Luck and God Bless
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

I am so glad it started working!!!

I wish you were all my real neighbors! The expressions of love here have really touched me! You have no idea how much I've needed this! I can't believe how many of you have said that you would loan me your machine, if only we lived closer! What a kind, unselfish thought! This is probably too "mushy" for a quilting forum, but thank you for lifting my spirits! Things have been hard for two years and this has been a bright spot these last couple of days! You know what? I'm glad my machine "broke" down for a day so I could have the opportunity to see what really good people are out there!!! Thank you, everyone, for bringing a smile a face that hasn't been able to smile for a while! Hugs to all of you!!! :')
    ~ Julie ~

I am so glad for you...I was feeling your pain....
    Buzzy Bee

Glad it is working for you now. I had one that would quit working when I wanted to get something done at a certain time, but only when I needed it finished fast. Any other time it worked great. Finally got a new machine & was going to toss the old one. My son wanted it for his wife & I told him what it was doing. He said they would check it out. It worked fine for her for about three months & started doing it again. She got rid of it fast. LOL

I'm glad it is OK for now - extra expense is not needed at this time of year. I know exactly how you must have felt as my machine has been in the repair shop since July and by the time that they finish replacement of just about every bit in the machine(as it feels like) I wonder whether I should have just saved up for another one...tape the faulty switch in place so that it can't switch off again and you may have a chance to have it work OK for a little longer.All the best.

Thank you for posting that it is working, I woud have worried and worried until I heard from you about this. I cannot imagine too many things more horrifying than having your one and only machine break down during Christmas sewing, I call it Santa's Sweat Shop...or my family does anyway. I was trying to figure out how in th world I could get a loner to you all the way from El Paso Texas in time for your projects...as were many others on this board as well....we truly are sisters of the "cloth", aren't we! Now go have yourselves a Merry, Merry Christmas. Whew! That was a close one!
    Michelle
    Michelle Guadarrama

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2