Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My old kenmore saved the day! >

My old kenmore saved the day!

My old kenmore saved the day!

Old 12-25-2009, 04:17 AM

I decided in May that I would make lap quilts for all of my five siblings and my Mom for Christmas. I purchased fabric in themes they love. I have a small Brother and had all done by last week, except one to bind and one to meander. I had the week off so I wasn't worried. Then the machine started acting up. The top thread keeps breaking.
I tried everything. Then on the 23rd at 9 pm I remember the old 33 year old Kenmore. I had it out in in Oct. Cleaned and oiled it and purchased an open toe foot and put it back away. Well, I got it out, put the foot on, got my practice fabric out gave it try and whoopee that baby rocks. It has awesome power and a much larger throat. I finished both in 3 hours! My DH (then boyfriend) gave me that workhorse for my high school graduation. He said he paid almost $200 for it then. It is well loved and is not getting put away again. I will post pictures when they all get their quilts today. We are truly blessed to be able to spend today together.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:15 AM

Neat story - glad you were able to finish!!
Old 12-25-2009, 05:15 AM
Banned

You can not beat the vintage machines, thats why they are the only ones I own.

My newest (and prettiest) machine is a Kenmore and its just 46 years old and my only electric machine.

After that the newest (and my favorite go to machine) would be my 1948 Universal 15 (61 years old). But I own and use several machines on a regular basis that are well over 100 years old.

Billy
Old 12-25-2009, 05:44 AM
Banned

Aren't Kenmores the best. I still have the one hubby bought me when we first got married in 1981
Old 12-25-2009, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by mcdaniel023
I decided in May that I would make lap quilts for all of my five siblings and my Mom for Christmas. I purchased fabric in themes they love. I have a small Brother and had all done by last week, except one to bind and one to meander. I had the week off so I wasn't worried. Then the machine started acting up. The top thread keeps breaking.
I tried everything. Then on the 23rd at 9 pm I remember the old 33 year old Kenmore. I had it out in in Oct. Cleaned and oiled it and purchased an open toe foot and put it back away. Well, I got it out, put the foot on, got my practice fabric out gave it try and whoopee that baby rocks. It has awesome power and a much larger throat. I finished both in 3 hours! My DH (then boyfriend) gave me that workhorse for my high school graduation. He said he paid almost $200 for it then. It is well loved and is not getting put away again. I will post pictures when they all get their quilts today. We are truly blessed to be able to spend today together.
I have 2 kenmores, one a computer and the other from 1978, they just don't die....the old one is all steel and weighs a ton but I wouldn't get rid of it for nothing
Old 12-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

My old Kenmore is 33 years young, MY first machine, and is my unfailing backup too!!! :D:D:D
Old 12-25-2009, 02:40 PM

I think my old Kenmore is in its sixties. Love the old gals.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:36 AM

I know how everyone feels. Two days before Christmas, my 30 some year old Kenmore froze up. The wheel just refused to turn. I have had three other machines (two Singers and a Brother)and have always come back to the Kenmore.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:05 AM
pal

Dad bought Mom a Kenmore in 1947 and I've been using it ever since. It's always out on my sewing table with black
thread. My 1947 Featherweight has the off-white thread! I
have a lightweight Baby-Lock for zig-zag or "fancy" stitches.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:09 PM

I learned to sew in junior high and my parents bought me a Kenmore. When I graduated from high school I bought an Elna. At that time, (1973) I paid $1000 for it and thought wow. I still sew on that today, but I still keep thinking about my old Kenmore. I don't remember what happened to it but it had lots of stitches and memories made.