Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
my own worst critic! >

my own worst critic!

my own worst critic!

Old 11-05-2013, 10:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I don't mention flaws, those are original design elements.
You are so correct Tartan !!! Most of my quilts are for charity so I don't get the opportunity !! I bought a quilt top from my Great great Aunt and once it was quilted by the local sewing group another Great Aunt belonged to, I have treasured the quilt even though I have seen many mistakes but HECK! I wouldn't even attempt to do this pattern even on machine with a rotary cutter and she hand piced the whole quilt!
Old 11-05-2013, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

Man do I understand what you are saying. Maybe I think that if I point out my mistakes before someone else does it won't be so bad. Then again I have a sister that quilts and she always likes to tell me where I went wrong. But I have had people tell me that when she tells someone else about what I made she always is saying what great work I do. When I start pointing out my mistakes with my son he just tells me to STOP, and that if something is made and given with love that's all that counts. I also am trying to do better, but it's really hard. BrendaK

Last edited by BrendaK; 11-05-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:36 AM
Power Poster

Guilty guilty guilty! I just finished my first long armed quilt and the first thing my husband said was " Do me a favor, don't point out the flaws when you show it to someone." He knows me so well.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:15 AM

I consider the flaws as learning experiences and if I simply have to say something about them out loud, it's usually along the lines of "The lesson I learned with this quilt was blah balh blah and, next time, I'll remember to do it differently."
Old 11-05-2013, 11:44 AM

I used to do that and came up with something I know say. "Thanks---I enjoyed making it for you." I said it over and over in my head until it became an almost automatic response.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301 View Post
I used to do that and came up with something I know say. "Thanks---I enjoyed making it for you." I said it over and over in my head until it became an almost automatic response.
This is perfect. I am going to make this my mantra!
Old 11-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Power Poster

I tend to open my big mouth on things like that too. I'm just not perfect!! But now I just try to stay quiet.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:18 PM

That always seems to happen during our show and tell also -- it is sometimes hard to take a compliment! I just finished a quilt where I made several design choices -- the wrong fabric was cut for the border and I chose to use it instead of tossing it. The more I look at it the more I like it!!
Old 11-05-2013, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by pyffer3 View Post
Is this normal or am I just too much of a perfectionist?
YES you're a normal perfectionist! Hahaha!

I like Dunster's friend's saying "that's okay, I know where all the bones are buried." Do you think she'll mind if I use it!

Lovetoquilt301 has a good idea too...repeat a positive saying "Thank you I enjoyed making it for you!"...(then she left out)...and then close mouth and smile!

Nan

Old 11-05-2013, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
One of my friends is a master at needle turn applique, and lately she's becoming extraordinarily good at piecing too. When I compliment one of her quilts, she just smiles and says "that's okay, I know where all the bones are buried." But I can't find the "bones", no matter how hard I look, and she doesn't point them out. I think that's a good way to approach compliments - offhandedly say that the piece isn't perfect, but don't catalog the problems.
I like that idea. I too am constantly pointing out where I could have improved whether it is my quilting, cooking or writing.