Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My pesty kitties and work surfaces

I love that Debbie.

Some kitties (see BAD girl in avatar pic!) won't be trained to do/not do by any means!!!!!

Teddi likes water, doesn't really like spray bottle much though. It will make her cease and desist for a millesecond only. Tinfoil - HA! Bubblewrap - she'll try to eat it.

Been trying to train her by every method known for over 2 years now but she does as she pleases for the most part.

Right now she is sleeping on top of the kitchen cabinets. Not on the part she can access directly from the fridge but the part across the room that she jumps to from the fridge top with head held low to not hit it on the ceiling. She is a total PITA!!!

I have 3 cats but none of them seem interested in my quilting stuff. I guess I should be grateful.

Blog Entries
    I had that problem for a while and then I started using my spray bottle with water in it. They don't like to get sprayed and it's just water so I know I'm not hurting them, just letting them know that I am still the boss.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Good thing I was stricter with my boys. These cats of mine are spoiled rotten. Reading your posts makes me realize it lol

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    Try a spray bottle of water,spray them everytime they are on a surface you do not want them on, eventually they will get the picture.

Hi, When my one cat set on top of my machine and took my thread on my machine in her mouth and just took off running I was time for my own sewing room I have 14 cats only two old ones are allow in my room they have thier own spot but the other ones sometime stand at the door a MEOW! Plus everything everbody says does work!

I am thinking about Cat Handcuffs......... :roll:

Blog Entries
    I have two cats. One jumps on nothing except the bed however the other one jumps on whatever he wants to jump on. Tried the spray bottle and it actually worked until he figured out that it really wouldn't hurt him just annoyed him and he will try and bat it out of your hand when you use it. Just walks right up to it and gives it and your hand a good swat!! Gotta love cats.....

I love sharing my quiting area with my Schmoo. She will park herself on the table top ironing board that I don't really use on the back of my sewing credenza and give herself a bath. If I need to pet her, she's right there. It's very relaxing to have your babies with you and I don't give quilts to people who don't like cats, and as with my cross stitch, everything is made with a little bit of fur in it. It's just the way it is.

too cute

I heard spraying them with a water bottle when you don't want them on top of things. I have a baby kitty and whatever rooms I don't want her in I close the doors. But as much as her and the dogs chase each other I'm afraid that she will be jumping higher soon. She runs fast - jumps on the sofa and then on to the rocking chair and then over to another chair and turns and looks at the dogs as - come and get me if you can. So I will have to be ready for her. I don't think she understands "No" like the dogs do. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    When I had cats they were trained not to get on counters, tables and dressers. They knew they could lazy around on the beds and couches. It is just a matter of training them not too.
    OK, I am laughing so hard here....
    I thought that zzyzx the cat was 'trained' not to jump on the kitchen counters, etc. too. She always had a collar on her with a bell, so that I would know where she was & wouldn't step on her.) One day I happened to walk into the kitchen ~ must have been walking very softly ~ and caught her on the counter! Never did figure out how she jumped up there without ringing the bell!!!
    What she was *actually* trained to do, was not be on any of the tables or countertops when I was looking !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Try a squirt gun, there is nothing a cat likes worse than being squirted with water. Mine won't go near spots where that has happened!

I have one cat now. Had two outside, but moved and gave them to a friend. Indoor kitty is a bad kitty. He is everywhere; including my stove! I've even found him INSIDE my kitchen cabinets and he almost got stuck inside the fridge. My granddaughters opened it and he jumped in. He likes the cold and he loves the water. Even found him in the tub when I was giving my babies a quick shower. OK, that is funny, but sometimes annoying because when he gets on the counters, food is history. Can't leave anything small laying around because he thinks it's a toy. I even found him sitting on top of my NEW Janome machine. I draw the line there. No one touches my machine! I will fight them. To think that he's about 11 pounds and he rules. Will getting him neutered help? I think it's time.

At first I used the pennies in a can threat, but it got old. He didn't flinch after a while. Squirt gun will only entice him to play. Sticky tape....well my grandkids will probably pull that off....

What's left? Any suggestions? No, I will not get a second cat to keep him busy....two wrongs don't make a right! LOL
    He plays with the Lhasa puppy (my avatar).

I can so relate to this thread. I don't think any of us 'allow' our buddies on the counter or table but my kitties just look and me and say "MAKE ME!". They blink those eyelashes and with one "meow", they have me.

I find a few yards or so of the cheapest muslim out there and cut large pieces to cover various areas in my sewing room. It usually works. Good luck.

I've heard of using half strength vinegar to spray at dogs that bark at people at your door. Maybe it work on cats on fabric too. My cat just lies behind the sewing machine or on top of my fabric usually. At night I put my plastic bags or cutting board over what I want to protect. I also hang up what I'm working on when I remember to do it.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by canmitch1971
    I have 3 cats but none of them seem interested in my quilting stuff. I guess I should be grateful.
    Are you 100% positive they are cats???? ha ha ha :mrgreen:

Debbie you are so funny. My cockatiel is a lot bigger than that bird. I have 4 cats that share my sewing room and I run them out when I'm ready to sew. I only have 1 cat, the youngest that will get onto anything and everything when he feels like it, other cats look at him, like what are you doing? They learned a long time ago not to do dumb stuff like that. His name is Scammy, a large, not fat, 4 yrs. old, I chased him off about 6 places yesterday and finally stuck him in his large crate. After having to do this about 6 times, all I have to do is threaten to put him in the crate and he will straighten up for several weeks and then we start all over again. He is very hard headed. Crates solve lots of problems. Hubby calls it giving him a time out, like with kids, of course, with kids just making them sit on a chair.

Blog Entries
    All I have to say is the word sewing and my little girl is right there to help me. I wish I knew the answer,hope someone can help us. Mine always seem to be right where I need to be.

My husband says I must be the only quilter without a cat!But I enjoy all of your adventures, LOL

Get a spry bottle filled with water. A couple of squirts will make them move. And then get them a cat tower with several levels. :wink:

have you tried a spray bottle with tea tree oil in it and spraying them when ever they are on your stuff or you see them getting on stuff, I know it sounds mean but it works. you do have to keep on them though.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen
    Quote Originally Posted by moonrise
    I close the door. ;) he he (My sewing room is our tiny 3rd bedroom, so it has a door on it.)

However, my kitchen, dining area, and living room are all "open", and are separated by only a half-wall, so it's impossible to keep the kitties out (we have 4). They know to stay off the counters and the stove (for the most part), but they won't stay off the kitchen table. I have to wipe it off constantly. :roll:
    The counter and stove they know is a no no, but once in a while, if there is something they want up there, they will go get it, lol...what do you use to wipe with? I usually do an old rag with some disinfecting spray on it or handi wipes...
    I friend of mine kept a water bottle close by, so when the kitty did a no-no ( hop on the table, counter, etc) he'd spray them.. after a few drenchings the kitty got the idea.. lol..

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast