Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My pesty kitties and work surfaces

I have 4 cats, all of whom like to lay on top of high surfaces, like tables and ironing boards. I make them shoo off of these surfaces several times daily. My sewing room is my dining room, and I have my mini ironing board and my cutting mat and my box of current fabrics on my table and my sewing machine on a smaller desk. I'm forced to wipe down my surfaces and lint roll my ironing boards and I'm simply too lazy to put things away. How do you keep your kitties off work surfaces and ironing boards and where ever else they may lay?

When you figure it out, you should package the idea. I have a naughty girl that LOVES to lay on everything she can get/jump on. Big Boy, well....if it's on the floor, he figures it's his.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    When I had cats they were trained not to get on counters, tables and dressers. They knew they could lazy around on the beds and couches. It is just a matter of training them not too.

No pets here !!! I have my in-laws (85 & 89). They are enough !!!!!!! I haven't had a pet in years because of the hair.

If you don't want to put things away (like me), keep a sheet or old quilt or blanket handy to cover everything. That should help keep the hair off. Make sure to always put the same side on top, so you don't lay the hairy side against your fabrics.

They are not allowed on these surfaces, but they are extremely stubborn and because there are 4 of them, they team up to rule the roost... :D

I close the door. ;) he he (My sewing room is our tiny 3rd bedroom, so it has a door on it.)

However, my kitchen, dining area, and living room are all "open", and are separated by only a half-wall, so it's impossible to keep the kitties out (we have 4). They know to stay off the counters and the stove (for the most part), but they won't stay off the kitchen table. I have to wipe it off constantly. :roll:

You might try laying an old sheet over everything when you're not sewing. My cat only wants to be up there when I'm sewing so I call him my quality control officer when he's not sleeping ;-)
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by moonrise
    I close the door. ;) he he (My sewing room is our tiny 3rd bedroom, so it has a door on it.)

However, my kitchen, dining area, and living room are all "open", and are separated by only a half-wall, so it's impossible to keep the kitties out (we have 4). They know to stay off the counters and the stove (for the most part), but they won't stay off the kitchen table. I have to wipe it off constantly. :roll:
    The counter and stove they know is a no no, but once in a while, if there is something they want up there, they will go get it, lol...what do you use to wipe with? I usually do an old rag with some disinfecting spray on it or handi wipes...

Blog Entries
    Good luck!! I have the same problems...I swat them and talk ugly to them....it doesn't work. They insist on inspecting all these places just to make sure they are safe for me...:roll: I wipe the hard surfaces with a clorox wipe...I usually drape a sheet over stuff that I don't want them on...and I do fold up and put away other people's quilts that come through here.

Quote Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen
    The counter and stove they know is a no no, but once in a while, if there is something they want up there, they will go get it, lol...what do you use to wipe with? I usually do an old rag with some disinfecting spray on it or handi wipes...
    Usually a couple of paper towels and Lysol kitchen cleaner (a spray). :)

I taught them to stay off the counters by putting strips of clear contact paper on the edges of the countertops ... upside down. The cats couldn't see it, and when they'd jump up on the counter, they'd land on the sticky plastic. It was sticky enough that they hated to touch it, but not so sticky that it would get hung up in their fur. After a couple of weeks, they stopped getting on the counters! :lol: I need to do it again, though. It's been awhile, and occasionally they "forget". ;)

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Suggestion only. LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I used that sticky stuff to try to train mine not to claw the sofa...didn't work. I used aluminum foil to try to train them not to go certain places...I found them curled up sleeping on it...:roll:

Mine just look at me and laugh when I try stuff like that.

Mine don't get on the counters or tables. It's just my sewing stuff. Other peoples things get put away and if they do decide to get on them, I'll hang whatever it is outside to get whatever dander may have dropped off on it.

Meticulous with putting projects into storage containers when not working on them. Because "Little Lady" thinks all new fabric is her new bed...

Blog Entries
    You could get a squirt gun and spray them when they are on top of things that you don't want them on.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I have a sewing room that my hubby put a screen door on so that I wouldn't have to have it shut w/o air moving. That's been a great cat chaser outer. Only problem is I love having them nearby!! :D

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    When I had cats they were trained not to get on counters, tables and dressers. They knew they could lazy around on the beds and couches. It is just a matter of training them not too.
    Mine are trained to do the same. It doesn't take but a couple times and then they learn, they aren't not dumb.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marye
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Mine are trained to do the same. It doesn't take but a couple times and then they learn, they aren't not dumb.
    It's amazing how quickly they can learn.

Just get a little water spray bottle. When the kitties jump up where you don't want them - a little spray and a stern "Off" from you should keep them off the surfaces you don't want them on. After a few times of a little wet face and all you'll have to do is sternly say "Off" or just a quick spritz and they'll be off to another place. :thumbup:

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    My 5 cats love to help with anything I am doing! They are all well trained to stay off counters and tables but I made a mistake a long time ago and fed them on the huge table I sew on. Now I keep a couple practice quilts over the ironing board and table when I am not using them just in case it tempts them. Also qulited a nice little cover for all the machines I use to keep them from messing them up or the hair from getting where it shouldn't be. I still have issues with the help I get when laying all the material out to see how it looks. They love to superman dive under it. I usually wait until nap time to try those things. I love my cats!

My sister has cats and the spray bottle works great for her...she has a few of them around and when any of the cats go where they aren't supposed to she squirts them and says NO...they learn quickly and jump off now as soon as they see her pick up the bottle hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen
    I have 4 cats, all of whom like to lay on top of high surfaces, like tables and ironing boards. I make them shoo off of these surfaces several times daily. My sewing room is my dining room, and I have my mini ironing board and my cutting mat and my box of current fabrics on my table and my sewing machine on a smaller desk. I'm forced to wipe down my surfaces and lint roll my ironing boards and I'm simply too lazy to put things away. How do you keep your kitties off work surfaces and ironing boards and where ever else they may lay?
    I also have four cats 2 that do the same thing all the time!!! I also would like to know the answer or advice if anyone has any!! Thank you, Shawn :thumbup: :XD: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    Suggestion only. LOL
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    lay bubble wrap over the ironing board?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast