Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My pesty kitties and work surfaces (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-pesty-kitties-work-surfaces-t64833.html)

blzzrdqueen 09-15-2010 06:09 AM

I have 4 cats, all of whom like to lay on top of high surfaces, like tables and ironing boards. I make them shoo off of these surfaces several times daily. My sewing room is my dining room, and I have my mini ironing board and my cutting mat and my box of current fabrics on my table and my sewing machine on a smaller desk. I'm forced to wipe down my surfaces and lint roll my ironing boards and I'm simply too lazy to put things away. How do you keep your kitties off work surfaces and ironing boards and where ever else they may lay?

tlrnhi 09-15-2010 06:14 AM

When you figure it out, you should package the idea. I have a naughty girl that LOVES to lay on everything she can get/jump on. Big Boy, well....if it's on the floor, he figures it's his.

cjomomma 09-15-2010 06:15 AM

When I had cats they were trained not to get on counters, tables and dressers. They knew they could lazy around on the beds and couches. It is just a matter of training them not too.

Jeanniejo 09-15-2010 06:15 AM

No pets here !!! I have my in-laws (85 & 89). They are enough !!!!!!! I haven't had a pet in years because of the hair.

wolfkitty 09-15-2010 06:18 AM

If you don't want to put things away (like me), keep a sheet or old quilt or blanket handy to cover everything. That should help keep the hair off. Make sure to always put the same side on top, so you don't lay the hairy side against your fabrics.

blzzrdqueen 09-15-2010 06:21 AM

They are not allowed on these surfaces, but they are extremely stubborn and because there are 4 of them, they team up to rule the roost... :D

moonrise 09-15-2010 06:22 AM

I close the door. ;) he he (My sewing room is our tiny 3rd bedroom, so it has a door on it.)

However, my kitchen, dining area, and living room are all "open", and are separated by only a half-wall, so it's impossible to keep the kitties out (we have 4). They know to stay off the counters and the stove (for the most part), but they won't stay off the kitchen table. I have to wipe it off constantly. :roll:

hoppyfrog 09-15-2010 06:23 AM

You might try laying an old sheet over everything when you're not sewing. My cat only wants to be up there when I'm sewing so I call him my quality control officer when he's not sleeping ;-)
Good luck.

blzzrdqueen 09-15-2010 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by moonrise
I close the door. ;) he he (My sewing room is our tiny 3rd bedroom, so it has a door on it.)

However, my kitchen, dining area, and living room are all "open", and are separated by only a half-wall, so it's impossible to keep the kitties out (we have 4). They know to stay off the counters and the stove (for the most part), but they won't stay off the kitchen table. I have to wipe it off constantly. :roll:

The counter and stove they know is a no no, but once in a while, if there is something they want up there, they will go get it, lol...what do you use to wipe with? I usually do an old rag with some disinfecting spray on it or handi wipes...

sandpat 09-15-2010 06:30 AM

Good luck!! I have the same problems...I swat them and talk ugly to them....it doesn't work. They insist on inspecting all these places just to make sure they are safe for me...:roll: I wipe the hard surfaces with a clorox wipe...I usually drape a sheet over stuff that I don't want them on...and I do fold up and put away other people's quilts that come through here.