Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: My pesty kitties and work surfaces

My cats wig out over Ben-gay and Icy Hot. Maybe open up a jar of that stuff and leave it on the table like an air freshener, that might keep them away. LOL.

Blog Entries
    Oh all you people who think you have your cats "trained"....I'm ROTFLMAO!!!! You only have them trained while you are standing right there! xyz..is the only one to admit it though...Too funny!! Come on admit it ya'll

Blog Entries
    My cat is very well trained. When I pull out fabric, he comes to give me a hand and doesn't leave until after I've finished cutting or whatever for the time. Romeo, my avatar, is my helper and water works to keep him away from the door but not off fabric. Go figure. I agree, they're only 'trained" when their wait staff is nearby but not otherwise. I admit, mine has trained me and not vice versa.

A little vinegar in the water in the spray bottle.
    A can of compressed air.
    A mouse trap upside down so when it goes off it won't actually catch kitty but will scare the little one.
    A piece hot dog with thread tied to it. Tie the other end of the thread to a couple of coke cans so when kitty jumps up and steals hotdog the cans chase it away.
    Hot sauce or Tabasco sauce.
    Vicks Vapo-rub.

bkb
    Most cats hate the smell of ginger. Kept our cat out of the Christmas tree. Put some on the rug in front of the door of the baby's room and cat would not go across it!

A squirt bottle didn't work for me. They think it's a game. :roll: Plus you have to actually catch them in the act, and they learned that if I'm not in the kitchen, they can get away with stuff. I'd head down the hall towards the kitchen, and I'd hear kitties scrambling to jump off the counter. By the time I got to the kitchen, they'd all have their halos on, and there was no way to know which ones had been on the counter! :lol: Little stinkers.

That's why I went with the upside-down contact paper. I didn't have to watch them constantly for it to work! :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by Pat and pups
    A little vinegar in the water in the spray bottle.
    A can of compressed air.
    A mouse trap upside down so when it goes off it won't actually catch kitty but will scare the little one.
    A piece hot dog with thread tied to it. Tie the other end of the thread to a couple of coke cans so when kitty jumps up and steals hotdog the cans chase it away.
    Hot sauce or Tabasco sauce.
    Vicks Vapo-rub.
    I wouldn't use any of the above, sounds like a bad deal to me.
    A spray bottle of water is fine, I don't use it as I don't want water on my stuff.

Mine have me trained well. I wait on them hand and foot and they come to me if it suits them. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A spray bottle of water (all I have to do now is hold the bottle and aim their way and off they go), put the ironing board away when not in use, cover or put stuff away so they can't get to it. We have 6 cats in teh house. Um, let me re-phrase that. My DD has 6 cats in teh house.

I have two felines that love to be in the quilting room with me. I have moved a miniature cat condo in there for one to lay on and the other one was jealous so I moved a wooden t.v. stand on there and put a blanket on it and my second cat lays on that stand. When I leave the room, I cover my quilting table and sewing machine with a sheet to keep the cat hairs off. Should my two quilting companions get rambuctious and try to get on the table when I'm sewing or quilting, I chase them off, or attempt to chase them off. If that doesn't work, I just take out my trusty water pistol and aim. Works all the time. First time is a charm.

Blog Entries
    My cats give my quilts all the love they can. Something about the batting draws them like magnets. They purr and pour their love into the quilts just like I do as I sew them. I don't try to keep them off of my fabric or work. I did have a problem when I brought home the embroidery machine, the oldest one thought it was for her as she loves the vibration from it. (She was a refinery cat from Houston where the machine noises were prolific and the embroidery machine really brings back good feelings for her.)

Since the rest of the house has cat hair, this makes the quilts in progress fit right in. I would not give a quilt to someone without washing it and warning about the cat hair.

in shouthern ohio, under a quilt-sewing!!
    my house is a cat refuge haven. we have 7 cats. the first one I actually went and got from the pound. the other 6 showed up over the years and I have too soft of a heart and just couldn't leave these little critters to fend for themselves. I am a hand quilter and whenever I am working on a quilt I will fold it up and set it next to my side of the couch until the next day. there is just something about an unfinished quilt in my house that the cats have to sleep on!!
    this is my youngest cat. Mia was about 5 weeks when she showed up and this was taken right away after her arrival.

Mia on my Triple Irish Chain quilt
    Name:  Attachment-112087.jpe
Views: 28
Size:  54.2 KB

in shouthern ohio, under a quilt-sewing!!
    me too scrappy cats, every quilt that I do has to go through the washer on gentle cycle and I could use all the cat hair in the lint trap of my dryer for some kind of natural hair batting or something. lol

Quote Originally Posted by ohioquilter
    my house is a cat refuge haven. we have 7 cats. the first one I actually went and got from the pound. the other 6 showed up over the years and I have too soft of a heart and just couldn't leave these little critters to fend for themselves. I am a hand quilter and whenever I am working on a quilt I will fold it up and set it next to my side of the couch until the next day. there is just something about an unfinished quilt in my house that the cats have to sleep on!!
    this is my youngest cat. Mia was about 5 weeks when she showed up and this was taken right away after her arrival.
    Oh what a cutie!!!

This has turned into quite the thread~! I so love hearing all the stories about your kitty companions! Keep em coming!

I'm not going to do the water bottle because I don't want my stuff to get wet, but I will start covering my work area when I'm done. My problem is that I work sporadically, as much as my 2 year old toddler will let me...so it's one of the reasons I hardly put things away. I also have my laptop on the same table (im addicted to facebook and quilting videos on YouTube!) so I'd be covering and un-covering the table several times a day, prolly just as much as I would be yelling at the cats to get off my table, lol.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen
    They are not allowed on these surfaces, but they are extremely stubborn and because there are 4 of them, they team up to rule the roost... :D
    A spray bottle of water works wonders; I understand cats hate that. I don't have cats because it grosses me out to have kitty litter trained animals on tables and counters. I have dogs and they don't go to the basement where my sewing is, and if I have sewing in my lap they have been taught to not go near it.

I have 3 cats, and only 1 Marmalade likes to come and visit me when I am sewing. She particularly likes it when I spread a quilt out to sandwich it together. That way she can lay on it, make sure it's comfy, smells good, tastes good, and then wants to be petted too. She also likes it when I am cutting, cause she can stand on the fabric, play with the ruler and one of these days she is going to get her paw cut....

I am reluctant to spray any of my cats, because usually I am working on something they are laying on and I don't want to get it wet!

I'm not sure if you can train a cat to stay off food surfaces; but you sure can teach them that it's naughty behavior! keep a spray bottle with water handy, when ever you catch them on the table or counter, spray them with a nice strong stream; they'll get the hint pretty quick I used to have cats, poor babies passed on... I know they got on the counter when I wasn't home, cuz' cats like to be 'up' but, at least they didn't do it when I was around. another thing you could try.. spray a sheet of plastic with adhesive, just somethine cheap... lay it sticky side up over your work area.. they HATE sticky paws.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen
    I have 4 cats, all of whom like to lay on top of high surfaces, like tables and ironing boards. I make them shoo off of these surfaces several times daily. My sewing room is my dining room, and I have my mini ironing board and my cutting mat and my box of current fabrics on my table and my sewing machine on a smaller desk. I'm forced to wipe down my surfaces and lint roll my ironing boards and I'm simply too lazy to put things away. How do you keep your kitties off work surfaces and ironing boards and where ever else they may lay?
    I am a cat lover. They are so sweet and cuddly. There is only one cat that I have heard of that doesn't like water but how would you like it if your child came into my yard and I squirted him/her with vinegar water? I cannot have a cat, I'm allergic to their dander. I have friends who have cats and I can't even enter into their homes/ Be happy you can have a cat because when they jump on your belongings, they are looking for love and just try putting aluminum foil over your ironing board, etc. They don't like that sound.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Frankly, don't see a problem here. Cat hair just adds that finishing touch!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ohioquilter

Cuddly little Mia. Give her a hug from me, an allergic cat lover.

I've used bubble wrap to deter the 3 fur balls I am servant too. They do forget and try again soon.

My kitties were trained at a young age with a water bottle - the kind you get in your gardening center that shoots a stream several feet (I am sure a water gun would work as well, but it is much harder for me to loose a large water bottle). I started out with a diluted solution of water and mouthwash since my babies HATED the taste and smell of mint. I used to use vinegar, but when I started sewing again, changed to mouthwash as I didn't want the smell of vinegar on my fabric. You spray them with it every time they get on a surface you don't want them on. I only had to use this method for about 2 weeks (my kitties were very stubborn). After that, I filled it with water and they ran from the surface any time I picked up the bottle or even looked like I was going to pick up the bottle. It doesn't harm them, but as most cats don't like water, it will "train" them to stay off of your fabric and counters, etc.

A spray bottle of water . Soon just having it near at hand is a deterant. No pain ...lots of gain.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    Suggestion only. LOL
    I love it.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast