Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My poor Bernina!!  RIP >

My poor Bernina!! RIP

My poor Bernina!! RIP

Old 03-19-2010, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by adriansmom
No, insurance will not cover it's loss. I wish that they would have.
Did you not have homeowners or renters ins? Because if you did, that picture speaks a thousnad word........

I feel so badly for all you ahve lost - but at least you and your family are safe
Old 03-19-2010, 05:55 PM

I had a fire in my home years ago. I found out that SOME appliances can be cleaned --- that black smoke gets INSIDE....do NOT try to start it again. Have the repairman look at it to determine. In my case, the ONE appliance I had and loved was my toaster oven. It was the best I've EVER had. When they got inside it.....the wires were melted. So it couldn't be repaired. Other things were repairable. Get it done ASAP....that black smoke is acidic and will destroy the innards within 6 months.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:06 PM

Yes, we did not have insurance on personal contents. With me being disabled, medical bills and only dh working we could not afford it. After this, I realize we can't afford not to. We had actually had it planned to get proper insurance. If the fire would have happened a week later, we would have been fully covered. It was a stupid move, and completely our fault so I have no one to blame. I guess my mom has an old Singer that she is going to let me use. She had received it from a friend who's mom passed away. I don't know what kind, just that it's all metal with cams. I hope it is easy to learn how to use. I am looking at buying a used viking from the local dealer. I really like the shop and the machines. It will take me awhile to save up the money, but I will do it one way or another. Let this be a lesson to all...you can't afford to not have insurance. I Will never make this mistake again!
Old 03-19-2010, 07:27 PM
Power Poster

OMG! I am soooo sorry about your fire and your poor Bernina!
Old 03-19-2010, 07:41 PM

You have my deepest sympathy and I know very well how your situation feels. We had a similar loss several years ago. Had let our insurance lapse so no coverage. I was encouraged to try to salvage my mom's 1940's era Singer, but I was afraid to try with the smoke and water damage around it. Not really sure what ended up happening to it...I let my brother handle all that...getting the house bulldozed, etc.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:06 PM

Can anyone with an idea to help Cathy contact me by PM? I can coordinate a little help to get her back to sewing ASAP. I have been helped a lot by the great people in the board and is time for me to give back.

Maria
Old 03-19-2010, 09:07 PM

Oh my goodness. No insurance? I am so sorry. Another sign of the tough times.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:22 AM

hi, i'm chris turtlerouge. i heard about your loss shortly after it happened. I'm very sorry, but i do have some good news :-D

there are quilters on the chat group that wants to help you.

They are as follows: Topper, rein, McQuilter, leota, turtlerouge, wills/grammy, stitchinwitch, diand.

I don't know how you feel about others helping you in our hour of need but these quilters want to help in any way they can.

Please do not deny them this opportunity to do something good for another quilter.

Qilters are very helpful sort. So please let them help.

If you, could you please pm these people or just me to pass on what you need.
You may pm me if you can.

chris turtlerouge

sorry keyboard is backspacing & cutting out letters.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:15 AM

I am so sorry to hear of your loss, but also let this be a wake up call for the rest of us. If you are using your machines in a business, you MUST declare that on you policy or there will be no coverage.
Mary Alice
Old 03-20-2010, 05:23 AM

I am so sorry. I'm crying with you.