Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Rowenta Iron Caught Fire!!! >

My Rowenta Iron Caught Fire!!!

My Rowenta Iron Caught Fire!!!

Old 10-25-2012, 10:44 AM

Hubby bought me a shark and I have to say that I absolutely LOVE it!!!
Old 10-25-2012, 10:56 AM

I had two Rowenta's ( eack over $125.00)both had the same problem... just kept heating and heating till they were beyond white hot and I could smell the heat and the beginning of a strong scorch type smell. I think I may have caught the issue just prior to a fire starting. NO MORE Rowenta's for me. It's back to the cheapo walmart .
Old 10-25-2012, 01:31 PM

Very funny you should post this...mine did the exact same thing 2 nights ago....I think it will be replaced with an "el cheapo"
Old 10-25-2012, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I also have two Rowentas ( do we ever have just ONE of anything?) I am really bad about walking away with it turned on. Hopefully this will get me to watch things closer & turn the darn thing off when I'm done.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:26 PM

Wow, how scary! I can't tell you how many times I turn my iron on and walk away while it's heating up. I don't have a Rowenta, but had considered one at one time. So glad that nothing tragic came from this. I hope that the company responds with a solution for those who have that same model. Thanks for your post...may help someone else in the future.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:28 PM

For me, the issue is less that we turn it on and walk away, and more that it overheats and/or catches fire in the first place. Irons should NOT do that. Period. Just because you're standing there doesn't mean it could end up any less tragic.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Yosamitesa View Post
Hubby bought me a shark and I have to say that I absolutely LOVE it!!!
I have a Shark and I love it. I bought it at Target a couple of years ago and love it. I really like how fast it heats up and the amount of steam it gives. After all the things I've heard, I'm glad I decided on the Shark and not a Rowenta (that was my first choice when my iron gave out). But settled on the Shark because I liked how narrow the point was and how light it was.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:41 PM

Hello, Rowenta! For the thirtieth time this year alone...are you listening? I am going to drop the QB email address to the company and see what they have to say...if anything. I, for one, have bought my last Rowenta....I'll put my squares under the mattress if there's no other way to press them....
Old 10-25-2012, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

they are still being sold everywhere. I had mine a long time too until it finally blew out my power cord. Both went into the trash!
Old 10-25-2012, 04:45 PM

If and when you toss an appliance that is having issues, cut the cord so someone dumpster diving doesn't think it is a good appliance.

Originally Posted by oh munner View Post
There was a post just the other day about irons. I have two Rowenta's, both cost over $100.00 and both less than 6mos. old when I started having problems. One spits, sizzles and leaks everywhere and the other just leaks all over the ironing board and whatever I happen to be ironing at the time. Someone suggested I use them dry but with the sizzling I wouldn't take a chance. Again.... the problem is no one repairs them so what do you do..... toss them?