Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Rowenta iron just dumped all of the water on my ironing board. >

My Rowenta iron just dumped all of the water on my ironing board.

My Rowenta iron just dumped all of the water on my ironing board.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by ekuw View Post
My Rowenta is dying. It is probably about 1 -1 1/2 years old. The instructions said to use regular tap water, but I should have known better since our water leans hard. Anyway, I have to have it turned on the highest temperature for it to heat up now and steam. I am not going to get another one :-(
I'm just realizing what hard water can do to things. My glasses are all foggy from the dishwater. Then the the dishwasher didn't seem to be doing everything right. Once I learned about hard water(have only lived here 3 years) I ran a dishwasher cleaner through the machine many times which has made things somewhat better but glasses are still foggy. Oh, and I read that putting a bowl of vinegar in the dishwasher can help the foggy glass problem.
The answer to hard water is vinegar.
Next I'm going to clean my irons with vinegar as they don't seem to be as hot as they once were. I'm hoping this will bring them back to the hot temps I had been getting.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by selm View Post
I'm just realizing what hard water can do to things. My glasses are all foggy from the dishwater. Then the the dishwasher didn't seem to be doing everything right. Once I learned about hard water(have only lived here 3 years) I ran a dishwasher cleaner through the machine many times which has made things somewhat better but glasses are still foggy. Oh, and I read that putting a bowl of vinegar in the dishwasher can help the foggy glass problem.
Next I'm going to clean my irons with vinegar as they don't seem to be as hot as they once were. I'm hoping this will bring them back to the hot temps I had been getting.
A whole house water softener will also help, not only with the iron but with all the water supply in your house, especially laundry.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
This is the iron I will get next. This is a dry steam iron.https://reliablecorporation.com/coll...o-iron-station. Several of these to choose from on the website.
Wow! That looks like an amazing iron. I may have to start saving now, but I'd like to have one. I have an Oliso that I liked but it's quit steaming and the auto off only works when it feels like it so I probably won't be getting another one.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by selm View Post
Maybe I'll try vinegar too; at this point it's worth a shot.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:05 AM

I have had my Rowenta for twenty three years and have never had any problems with it. I have bought several others and didn't keep any of them. Living in the San Antonia area we have the hardest water in the world and that is what I have always used. I do now use the filtered water from my ref. I got afraid of it when I read here about fires and was going to replace it but so far I haven't found one I like better. I do run vinegar through it to clean out the lime buildup when needed as I do with everything here with our problem here.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:44 AM
mac

Rowenta irons were good about 25 years ago, before they started making their water tank parts in plastic. One drop of the iron and that was the end of the water tank. Even if you didn't drop the iron, eventually they started leaking. After using my first Rowenta iron for over 20+ years and it finally fizzled out, my next 2 Rowenta irons were a dud. They are too expensive to have them die untimely deaths. I just recently purchased a really cheap iron from Walmart because I forgot to bring mine with me on a quilting retreat, that doesn't turn off automatically, and it has been wonderful. I just put the iron on the same circuit that the lamp is on and turn both lamp and iron off at the same time. Now I know if my light is on, so is my iron. It has been great not having to wait for the iron to heat up every time I need it.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:58 AM

My Rowenta did the same thing. That is why I now own a Black and Decker Digital Advantage. Much nicer and much less expensive!
Old 01-04-2019, 12:33 PM

I have the Shark Professional, had it over a year now and at first I used filtered water in it, but decided to go back to using the spray bottle to avoid the iron from leaking. I love weight of the iron and how hot it gets. My other irons that were a lower wattage just didn't get hot enough.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
I use a cheap Black and Decker that I bought at Walmart at least 15, maybe 20 years ago. It gets good and hot. I don't put water in it, instead I use a spray bottle like Christine mentioned. If it ever dies, I'll buy another cheap one like it.

Rob
I have the same one, no water, I have a dollar store spray bottle I use instead. I had a beautiful “Quiana “ (remember that?) and my nice expensiveiron, the brand of which I have forgotten spit rust water all over it, and destroyed it. Nothing ever washed out of that fabric did it? Cheap irons and spray bottles for me.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:54 PM

I've had 3 Rowentas and they all leaked water everywhere.