Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My SIL would rather have a Pottery Barn quilt than homemade >

My SIL would rather have a Pottery Barn quilt than homemade

My SIL would rather have a Pottery Barn quilt than homemade

Old 05-19-2010, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

Let the mom use store bought matchy ones for all the baby goo. Wait and make a toddler quilt.
Give it to the child, not the mom to give to the child. The child knows it belongs to them and they claim it! It becomes MINE! and no one can take it away.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:20 AM

I'm sorry this happened to you I'm very fortunate that all my daughters love my stuff and I can't turn it out fast enough for them and their children. Now I want you to know that what the other quilters say is true. As my grandsons got older they just wanted more! More Buzz Lightyear, more Cars, more motorcycles, more Ben 10. My 3 year old sleeps with all 4 of the quilts I have made him so far plus some pirate material I bought to make a quilt and he found. It is nice to make for the new born but a heart warming joy to make for the toddler. Your time will come between you and your niece/nephew and it will be special without anyone else to say what you can make and what you can't make. Start collecting patterns and stash!

Toni
Old 05-19-2010, 08:33 AM

I realize that happens a lot. I have adjusted my attitude and tell them that if they have already decorated the baby's room with a matching theme that my quilt could be used to put on the floor for the baby to play on or used in the car.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Sharon - NC
LMFBO - just realized the advertisement at the bottom of this threat is for Pottery Barn! :-)
If you had posted about breast implants there would be doctor ads at bottom. Somebody watch dogs the subject. To heck with her. When kid is older make him a quilt & give at birthday where he can say oh thank you auntie.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:08 AM

To me the joy is in the making not the giving...some people are not born with the apprecistive gene...
Old 05-19-2010, 09:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sharon - NC
Go figure! I was so excited to learn my brother and his wife are expecting. I talked to her Sunday and asked her to let me know as soon as they pick their decorating scheme for the nursery. I went on to explain that I wanted to make a quilt for the baby but I want to make sure it's something they like, so I'd show her a few patterns to choose from and have her go with me to pick the fabric. She told me they were probably going to decorate the room with Pottery Barn furniture and accessories, and there's already a quilt to match so they'd just use that. I tried very hard to stay up-beat and not let her see how shocked/hurt I was, and I'm not going to let it ruin my fun and joy with this baby coming. But I really feel sorry for her that she's that concerned about coordinating things. Just wait until that baby is a few months old and everything's crazy!
Their loss, silly people, don't be hurt even though they've turned your offer down,some folk do not know what quality is and prefer shop bought instead of made to measure with love.
Wish you were my SIL.!
Old 05-19-2010, 09:24 AM

Too bad your sis-in-law is more into the status of things than the true value. But oh well.

Do you remember an old Seinfeld episode where Elaine had to determine whether a guy was "sponge-worthy"? Well, I decide whether folks are "quilt-wothy."

In my book, your sis-in-law is not quilt worthy. So I agree with others on this thread. Let the kids grow some,and once he is older, you can decide whether he is a spoiled ungrateful brat or a great quilt worthy kid. Most children adore quilts. I bet he will too.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:28 AM

WOW! That does hurt one's feelings all right. If you make her a quilt, I'm sure she'll use it...my daughter received several quilts and they were all used...her favorite was a homemade one...it finally wore out from being drug around!
Old 05-19-2010, 09:58 AM

Olivia is a lucky little girl! Not only does she have 8 quilts but she has a wonderful Grammy to play with!

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
My sweet DIL wanted everything to match. And it does beautifully. I made about 8 quilts for Olivia anyhow and she uses them too.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:07 AM

I'm not so sure you sil was being rude as much as she wants what she wants. The sad thing - she'll get what she wants - a store bought quilt that will fall apart in no time. I've learned to NOT make quilts that match the nursery decor - just make a fun one and let the baby do with it what he/she will. They WILL need quilts other than the nursery... I made one - it was hung on the wall, another was used in the nursery even though it didn't 'match'. Yet another (this one for a family member) I never heard about again... no thank you - nothing. I TRY so hard to just make it and give - do with it as they will. I'm making my first grandchild's quilt now - very girlie, I'll have to make a boy one too as we don't know what the baby is... but that's ok - both will eventually be used.