Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My SIL would rather have a Pottery Barn quilt than homemade >

My SIL would rather have a Pottery Barn quilt than homemade

My SIL would rather have a Pottery Barn quilt than homemade

Old 05-19-2010, 01:26 PM

Remember your brother is expecting his first also. Forget the SIL and do it for your brother.
Some people don't realize what goes into handmade things but once they have them in their hands they sometimes do a turn around and fall in love with the item.
I'd make the quilt and present it at the baby shower with PRIDE!
Old 05-19-2010, 03:21 PM

I would make one anyway. I think that after you get it made they would love it anyway.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:27 PM

Sharon, I know that must have hurt your feelings. But some people just don't think homemade gifts are as good as "store bought". They just don't know what they are missing or the time and love that goes into a quilt, you make. You may have to wait until the baby is older and can speak for itself, and make one then. The little one will want to drag it around and love it as well as the Aunt who made it.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:41 PM

Thanks for reminding me how lucky I am. Make one for you and your son.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Power Poster

I'd get them a gift certificate for Pottery Barn and be done with it. It sounded like a not-so-subtle hint at the dear lady's attitude toward quilts. If it turns out that you end up having a relationship with the kid - you can always make a quilt later.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:54 PM
Banned

I am so sorry, I would have been thrilled if someone would of done something like that for me. just go buy her dippers and when the baby has hes/hers second or third birthday, you make a beautiful quilt for him/her then. and embroidrey the childs name and date really big on it. children love there blankets, heck I love my blankets to. Please brush it off as lack of taste/manners and don't be hurt. God bless. Penny
Old 05-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Power Poster

Sharon,

You're right don't let her ruin the fun and excitement you have for your brother and his first born. Don't let her emotions of not appreciating the love and artistry that goes into making a special quilt for the baby cross over into your excitement. Make one even if you have to go and see her PB decore before you pick out a pattern and colors and make the quilt you want for your nephew or neice, you don't need her permission. If you find she never uses it then wait until the little one is older and can appreciate the quilted blanky you make just for him/her and you know the baby will appreciate the love that will go into a quilt you make special just for them.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:11 PM

Make her the quilt anyway, it's for the baby, just stay withing her color palatte. She will find out that more than one quilt is need with peeing,puking babies. Don't let anyone burst your bubble. Give what you want from your heart, how it is accepted is up to her.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:18 PM

You're not making your SIL a quilt, you are making the baby one. You don't quilt because it is an easy way to come up with gifts, you do it to show you love someone and to share your passion for quilting. Go ahead and make what you like, not like the baby will only use one quilt in her life. Maybe even make it bigger, like twin bed size, that way it won't need to match the current scheme, and when the kid gets older he/she might want her room to match that quilt they love that their aunt made.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:22 PM

You can never have too many blankets for a baby. I'd go ahead and make one for a shower or baby arrival day.