Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My SIL would rather have a Pottery Barn quilt than homemade >

My SIL would rather have a Pottery Barn quilt than homemade

My SIL would rather have a Pottery Barn quilt than homemade

Old 05-19-2010, 06:20 PM

Well, I've been lurking here for a while, and am due Dec 21st, and would nothing more than a homemade quilt that no one else has! Espically one I didn't have to make!
Old 05-19-2010, 06:26 PM

Fifty years ago when my first child was born, a friend made me a couple of blankets (not flannel) they were my favorite. It was April and with the warm weather they were perfect. No where could I hae bought any better and I still remember it. I made blankets for my grands and they became attached to them more than the store bought, it just seems like they know they hae love in them. I make quilts now and they love them. Make a quilt and I bet the baby will take to it. The store bought quilts are stiff and bulky, I bet she doesn't really use it to wrap the baby.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:31 PM

My experience with family that express those feelings is to just love them where they are. There are enough people out there who really really appreciate a handmade gift - why knock yourself out making something that you know really won't be loved. You will end up looking to see if it's being used every time you visit, etc., and you'll end up being disappointed. Why set yourself up for that? I liked the advice of the person that said to wait until the child is older, and then make him/her a really cuddly, colourful lovable quilt that the child is bound to latch onto.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:38 PM

Shibori,
I think of all the comments on this thread, I like yours best!!! Definitely made in the Good Ole USA!!!!!!!!
Old 05-19-2010, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by ogee73
Well, I've been lurking here for a while, and am due Dec 21st, and would nothing more than a homemade quilt that no one else has! Espically one I didn't have to make!
Hi ogee73. welcome to the 'Board, and congratulations on your good news for Dec. I make quilts for my GGS's and they don't match anything, they are trucks and cars, dogs, teddy bears, and anything colourful that I can think of. I write a note with each quilt asking the child to play with the quilt, make forts, and tents, curl up on the floor with the dog or on the sofa by themselves. Take them outside and use them for a picnic blanket or just sit on the ground with them. I ask them to use their quilts until they fall apart and then we will make new ones. Just have fun and make memories with them. And they DO .
Old 05-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Bev

[quote=TexasGurl]It is aggravating and hurtful when NON-quilters or sewers just don't GET IT ! Many people just don't appreciate something handmade or without a designer label
I have a hard time with these perfectly-coordinated, overly-picky brides & moms-to-be today ...

I have a niece-in-law who absolutely refused a baby quilt because she said she knew people made those quilts out of USED clothing and she didn't want her new baby to sleep on or with anything like that. She wanted her baby to have only brand new stuff. She actually TOLD me that. I was so shocked that I didn't know what to say. My DH just got me away from her real fast. 8-)
Old 05-19-2010, 08:15 PM

Speaking of baby quilts - what kind of batting do you all typically use?
Old 05-19-2010, 08:53 PM

This is kind of along the same lines but from the other side,I received a set of quilted pillows from DH aunt at our wedding shower,it was preprinted star pattern with pink and greens, not my "colors" at the time. they were all handquilted and embroiderd with our names & date., secretly I was dissapointed that she didn't ask our colors, but I sewed clothes and drapery at the time and knew that a lot of work went into them, so I thanked her then and with a thank you card too.Everytime I placed them on our bed, i would get irrtated, so young and SOOO stupid!!!!Looking back I could kick myself for being so blinded by my desire to be matchy that i couldn't see the beauty and love that went into those pillows. Those pillows are one of my most cherished items now and they still are placed on my bed almost 15 yrs later. Its funny how it finally dawns on you that everything doesn't have to match to be beautiful. I was also that new mom that freaked when DD pacifier hit the floor, would dash to sterilize it with hot soapy water, no matter where we were,jump to child no. 4, 5 second rule ! brush it off and pop it back in.LOL. Thank the Lord that we learn!Give her time and I think she'll come around and see the beauty and workmanship for what they are ! Priceless!!!!!!!!So go ahead and make that quilt!Whether you give it now or later.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:01 AM

This is what my very funny daughter did when a neighbor was bragging about how they were decorating their nursery with only the nicest (word rich people use to make sure you know they have good taste) things from a trendy baby boutique. DD said "Oh, your buying there? I prefered to go with only originals from the nicest designers." Of course DD meant grandma is making my babies quilts. So, now she refers to all of my quilts as a Gail Original.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:54 AM

I like the idea of making a quilt and keeping it at your house for the baby to use then. And if you wanted to be really mean and create an I-told-you-so opportunity, you could make one out of something really soft, perhaps even Minkee, and the baby would soon become much more attached to that than the PB one.