Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My SIL would rather have a Pottery Barn quilt than homemade >

My SIL would rather have a Pottery Barn quilt than homemade

My SIL would rather have a Pottery Barn quilt than homemade

Old 05-20-2010, 12:56 AM

How true that some people just "don't get it". My best friend's DGD (who she raised) is that way about things she makes...never would let her make clothes for her and just the other day commented that maybe the DGGD could sleep in the cute little dress she WAS thinking of making for her...Guess who won't be getting any handmade items! Glad I wasn't quilting yet when it was time for her baby shower.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:16 AM

All babies need more than 1 quilt so make the quilt in the fabrics of your choice. I have had friends that made quilts for their relatives and found them being used for a dog bed or even worse for someone to lay on while they worked on their car. It is the thought that counts and if someone doesn't appreciate the time, money, effort and Love that goes into making a quilt, then they are missing the Joy.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:58 AM

I made a baby quilt for my newest grandson, and my daughter
won't use it. She hung it on the wall.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:22 AM
farscapegal

A lot of people don't like "homemade" things. A new mom wants to have everything right and perfect in the baby's room. I can understand that and don't have a problem with it. Make her something else for the baby or just go to the Pottery Barn and pick out something that matches. She may appreciate a quilt from you later on. Everyone has a right to like or dislike things same as we do. At least she let you know before you put all that work into a quilt.

Sybil

Old 05-20-2010, 03:37 AM

Have fun what YOU like making, it will turn out to be beautiful. I used to try and make ppl happy. Now I make what pleases ME. Surprisingly, almost everybody wants it. I'd rather give something to a stranger whose eyes light up when he/she sees one of my quilts than misguided relatives.
Oh I remember those longtime ago dreams of always having a tablecloth on the kitchen table coordinated with the curtains etc. Eventually I grew up lol
Old 05-20-2010, 04:54 AM

I have been there when you make something nice for a grandchild and NEVER see them in it. I was first of all a clothing seamstress and pretty good at it (IMHO) however, my DIL gave away the outfit I made for my G'dtr. Then one year they were here for a visit, and we made sweatshirt tops, you know, "Someone in Ohio loves me!" and they too were gone before the end of the visit. I never made them another stitch of anything whether sewing, knitting, or crocheting.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:03 AM

lol.... I saw the abbreviation for Pottery Barn as PB and thought of Peanut Butter ...
When my dd#1 was born, one of the ladies in the church made her a quilt and today is her 30th birthday... she still has that quilt... the embroidered animal block are quite thread-bear... The quilt I made for her (my very very 1st) was stolen when she was 5. When my dgd was born, a lady in our neighborhood gave her a 'Utility" quilt... heavy twill (ugly grey) that she had hand painted a bunny scene on it... she told us that it was to be used outside and we didn't have to worry about getting it soiled... she has passed on now... she was in her late 80's when she made that quilt.
Make this baby a quilt and keep it at your house. You don't even have to tell snooty mommy about it.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:08 AM

I, too, made some things for my granddaughters that my dil never let them wear. It is very hurtful when you make something and it is not worn.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:11 AM

We (quilters) all realize that a quilt is something special and made with love, but you really can't fault someone who has different taste.

I would make the baby quilts anyway. Play quilts, extra quilts for in the car, quilts for at your house, etc. Bet they will get used plenty and loved much.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:35 AM
Pam

Originally Posted by Dianne Lenore
I made a baby quilt for my newest grandson, and my daughter
won't use it. She hung it on the wall.
She is "saving it". I think she loved it and did not want to "mess it up". Make another one for the baby to snuggle with, and tell her what it is for!