Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My SIL would rather have a Pottery Barn quilt than homemade >

My SIL would rather have a Pottery Barn quilt than homemade

My SIL would rather have a Pottery Barn quilt than homemade

Old 05-18-2010, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by granniebj
Make her one anyway! Who can't use more then one and one day it will mean something to that little one!
I agree. I made both of my children quilts before they were born (actually made everything for their nursery). My husband and I started collecting antiques when they were about 15 and 13, and they wondered why we brought that "old stuff" into the house. My son is now 27 and has the first queen size quilt I made on his bed. My daughter asked me to make her a quilt her sophmore year in college. And they both display the baby quilts I made. Hopefully, in the long run, they may come to treasure what you have made, and realize it truly comes from the heart and is one of a kind. I never appreciated things like that until I was much older.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:00 PM
Pam

My mother made my son, her first grandchild a quilt. He slept with it, travelled the world with it and still has it. He is now 22 years old, and he has it carefully folded and placed on a shelf in his closet. He did it, not me.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Power Poster

Don't feel sad...as Patrice and the others have said, she is inexperienced, also, some people's tastes never seem to evolve. Go ahead and make what you like, put it aside and give when appropriate. It will be a shock to her system when she realises exactly how much of a disgusting mess, such tiny little beings can get themselves into....'specially at 2.00 am and you both need to strip and get in the shower. I remember the first time my tiny boy (a premie ceasar..) got me in the eye on the am feed.....didn't know whether to laugh or cry....but I was prepared ...we had piles of fresh nappies and bedding.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:35 PM

I know you were hurt over this and that makes me sad for you. Try to just shake it off. Make the baby a quilt anyway. A parent can never have too many quilts or blankets. Or make an I Spy that the child will really enjoy when it grows up a bit. Or some learning type of quilt. You can shower it with a quilt for ever Bday if you want or ever Christmas. As they grow, the quilts advance. Makes it fun.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:16 PM

I'm sorry your feelings were hurt too. It's in our nature to want our kind gestures to be gratefully received. Makes us feel good right?

Just asking because I find it somewhat confusing myself. Beyond that tho', who are we to set the standard as to how another should react to our intentions. All our tastes differ and our reactions differ. Her feelings/comments are no more right or wrong than yours. If she prefers her decor to be PB, so be it. If you want to make a quilt anyway, so be it.

Just for myself, I sew for ME. My joy is not attached in anyway to what anyone else thinks, comments, likes or dislikes. If they want to critique, fine, that's on them. If they fall in love with what I do, that's nice, icing on the cake, but it's not the motivation or inspiration.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Sharon - NC
LMFBO - just realized the advertisement at the bottom of this threat is for Pottery Barn! :-)
That is classic!

I agree with a lot of answers...make one (or two) for use in your house....they might gravitate to their house eventually.....
Old 05-19-2010, 01:44 AM

This is from a thank you card I just got. I Made a flannel baby quilt as shower gift.
WOW...Thank you so very much for the quilt! The quilt is so beautiful..I'm so touched that you took all the time to make it! I promise that I will use it a lot.
Guess who will get more?
Old 05-19-2010, 01:53 AM

I have the blanket (crocheted) my nana made, and my son never met my nana, but he loves to hear stories about her, and the jumpers she made with each wool, and where we went when the other family members were wearing that jumper, and what we did on a certain day. I bring it down on days when he is sick. My beloved friend made a quilt for my son, and he treasures it. She made one for her SIL and it went to the Op Shop (Goodwill).
She may never appreciate hand made - some people just don't get it.
I am sorry she hurt your feelings.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:14 AM

Sad, but I think she just has a problem communicating! What she was really saying was...how nice! I want the baby's room to match, but pick what ever colors and pattern you like and that will be a quilt baby uses when not in her matchy room! I need to learn to turn peoples words around- I get hurt too often also! Go for a nice quilt full of love for the baby- not for the mom! Can't wait to see a photo of the quilt!!!!
Old 05-19-2010, 03:06 AM

Hi Sharon in Charlotte NC. This is Sara in Stanley NC. I've just finished my first hand pieced, hand quilted quilt. It's been very relaxing and enjoyable for me. Didn't realize what pleasure it would give me. Does everyone in my family appreciate the one I just finished and the one I've started for US? Probably not but I'm having a good time and giving myself pleasure. Just try to keep everything in perspective.

sara in nc