Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My SIL would rather have a Pottery Barn quilt than homemade >

My SIL would rather have a Pottery Barn quilt than homemade

My SIL would rather have a Pottery Barn quilt than homemade

Old 05-19-2010, 04:44 AM

If this is a first child. she doesnt know any better and u always want the best for your own child. I know how you feel tho. it happened to me too I made one anyway and 18 years later the little girl is leaving home for the first time and the quilt is the first thing that went in her box. lol
Old 05-19-2010, 04:45 AM

Let's stop blasting the mother-to-be for wanting things to be matched and nice. Nothing wrong with that. I am sure we ALL have been there at one time or another.

Go ahead and make the baby a play quilt. Something that can be laid on the floor, ground (for a picnic), placed over the buggy in the rain/sun/snow, a useful blankie/quilt. The PB one will only remain pretty and un-useful for a short time.

There is also the thought that she doesn't like your colors and designs. Maybe wait and see what her color theme will be. Maybe visit PB and see what she has chosen and play off that quilt.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:45 AM

Let's stop blasting the mother-to-be for wanting things to be matched and nice. Nothing wrong with that. I am sure we ALL have been there at one time or another.

Go ahead and make the baby a play quilt. Something that can be laid on the floor, ground (for a picnic), placed over the buggy in the rain/sun/snow, a useful blankie/quilt. The PB one will only remain pretty and un-useful for a short time.

There is also the thought that she doesn't like your colors and designs. Maybe wait and see what her color theme will be. Maybe visit PB and see what she has chosen and play off that quilt.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:49 AM

I'd make a quilt for her anyway just because you want to. Some people don't like that homemade look. No, instead make two quilts. One for the baby and one for you to use when they baby comes to YOUR house. I used those quilts all the time...especially when they baby was laying on the floor kicking and wiggling. Sorry for your hurt feelings. Been there, felt that but refused to let it keep me down too long. Life is too short for that.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:51 AM

I have made a few quilts for close family members and they love them. I also have a few people I would not make a quilt for because they don't appreciate the work, time and money involved. I have quite a few quilts made and just won't give them to people so I display them, change with the season or the mood I'm in. Some don't go with my decor but they are so beautiful(in my eyes) I just put them out.I also keep a quilt journal on my computer of all the quilts I made and have pictures as they progress. It is nice to look at it once in awhile.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:52 AM

I have dumb reatives too...don't feel badly. I made two queen size quilts for my 13 year old niece and her 17 year old brother for Christmas. The nephew told me he liked the label and she told me, after I asked her, yea I like it.
Never again. I've given quilts to 2 year olds that showed more appreciation that my family.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:55 AM

I have dumb reatives too...don't feel badly. I made two queen size quilts for my 13 year old niece and her 17 year old brother for Christmas. The nephew told me he liked the label and she told me, after I asked her, yea I like it.
Never again. I've given quilts to 2 year olds that showed more appreciation that my family.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:55 AM

Remember who you are making the quilt for...every stitch sewn with love for your new niece or nephew. I am sure it will be a beautiful gift.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

Well then, by all means...let her have the PB one. Just enjoy the baby and don't worry about using your time to make a quilt for her. Wait and make one for the child when she/he gets older.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:00 AM

Keep in mind the excitement you felt to make the new baby a quilt. Think of the joy it gives you to create that special work of art for a beautiful, special baby. Save it at your home, admiring it until the day comes when that baby will use it. You will know when the right moment is to give it to your new niece or nephew. It will be a special bond between you.