Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My SIL would rather have a Pottery Barn quilt than homemade >

My SIL would rather have a Pottery Barn quilt than homemade

My SIL would rather have a Pottery Barn quilt than homemade

Old 05-20-2010, 01:42 PM

I made a baby quilt for a friend and she said that everytime she layed the fussy baby on the bright colored quilt that he quit crying, like magic...I also put the"hairy" fleece, sometimes called cashmire, on the back. Every one of the quilts that I've done like that has been a hit.....Good Luck
Old 05-20-2010, 02:57 PM

Let it go. I've made a number of quilts for my grandkids. They drag them around and love that grandma made them. Wait until the baby is old enough to associate you with the quilt and to drag it around. Most people, not involved in quilting, think we just sew these up in one night.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:32 PM

Don't they understand that there isn't some lofty, upscale gigantic sewing room full of designers artfully crafting their Pottery Barn quilts, that it's more like a gigantic sweat shop full of people (children included) making maybe a couple dollars a day, living in the worst imaginable conditions, that are turning out the much desired PB quilts and stuff? I can't figure people out sometimes......
Old 05-20-2010, 03:47 PM

I would make the quilt anyway, I am like some of the other girls, you can always use another quilt.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:34 PM

I am sorry for the unexpected reaction you received. I would make the quilt with the love and passion that you have for the baby. After all, it's not her quilt, it is the baby's quilt. I would keep it at my house and get it out every time you see the baby and as the baby grows he/she will know that it belongs to him/her. You can give it to him/her when he/she gets older. Do you know if it is a boy or a girl?
Old 05-21-2010, 01:21 PM

Be glad you didn't waste your time (and alot of money) for someone who won't appreciate a handmade quilt. The store bought one won't last as long and you would be sick to see one you personally made go on a garage sale when baby is grown and sold for a couple of dollars. Some people just don't get it. I bet she doesn't sew. :)
Old 05-21-2010, 02:04 PM

I am so sorry your feelings were hurt.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:32 AM

So sorry that happened to you. Just another example of how Commercialized people are becoming. She doesn't know what she is missing. Homemade is always so much better.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:47 PM

Your SIL will probably wash the Pottery Barn stuff to death and the quilt will be in rags within 2 yrs. Better that than your quilt.
I cross stitched a piece for the wall with the child's name, birth date,weight, etc and had it framed. It is a keepsake and mom will put it away when they go to adolescence,til they marry and have kids.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:16 PM

I guess I am pretty lucky. My daughter is due with my first granddaughter in June. She is decorating the room in Winnie the Pooh, and asked if I would make a crib set. Both of my daughters and I have been finding winnie the pooh fabrics and are just having a blast. My younger daughter is making a princess quilt for the grandbaby, and I am making a few more quilts.

I also have a great friend who when her first grandson was born, asked me to make a quilt for him. She went with me to select the fabrics, and her son and dil love the quilt as well. She has two more grandbabies due this year, and I will be making quilts for them as well. I have also made quilts for her children as they have gotten married. They really seem to love and value these.

I recently made a quilt for an auction for a young lady in our neighborhood with cancer. I dropped it off to the person in charge and another friend that was there absolutely loved it.

Everyone I have made quilts for have cherished them.