Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My trip to local Hancock's store >

My trip to local Hancock's store

My trip to local Hancock's store

Old 01-29-2012, 04:08 AM

Hope you have more luck with yours than I did with mine. After just over a year, mine just quit working one day. I was never able to figure out what was wrong with it. I couldn't see spending that amount of money again, so went to my local Big Lots store and got the same type of lamp there for just $29.95. Works just as well, and if it ever quits working, I won't feel nearly as bad as I did when my Ott lamp quit.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by sandypants View Post
I love my Ott too and isn't it surprising that you can go into a fabric shop to get one thing and come out with a bunch of goodies....I just don't understand how that happens.........
me too, so true ......................... especially since i can go into almost any other store and not find anything interesting
Old 01-29-2012, 05:14 AM

My Ott is at least 10 years old and I could not quilt without it,not only for colors, but for my eyes. It is so bright and now that I heard above about the one for my purse. You know I am on my way to get one of those. I have tried other "daylight bulbs" and they on' come close. My quilting deserves the best and that is Ott.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:43 AM

"I have been looking for a good lamp that will cover the surface I am working on and the working area of my sewing machine. Good luck to Me! Edie"

Edie--If the Ott light isn't bright enough for you, you might want to try the Bendable Bright Light. It is almost blindingly bright! I have it, but prefer to use my folding desk Ott light, as it is bright enough for me. The Bendable Bright Light won't light up the entire surface on which you are working, but it certainly will light up the sewing area for you.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:06 AM

My DH bought me an OTT floor lamp over 7 years ago, when I was doing crocheting. It has the original bulb, and I just love it. Helps my not so good eyes a great deal. I love it. Told DH that I would like to buy a table model
Old 01-29-2012, 08:04 AM

Love my two, too. It really helps to determine color. They were invented to help those suffering from the winter blahs because of so much less sunlight outside. It's supposed to be just like sunlight and has improved the outlook of those who suffer from this disease - can't remember what the disease is called. In any case, I run into my craft room and turn on the Ott light to compare colors.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:16 AM

Use your Joann's coupon for 40 to 50% off
Old 01-29-2012, 08:32 AM

I DON'T LOVE OTT LIGHTS. I bought 2 at a half price sale. Removing the 1st bulb ended in damaging the lamp. so that was one less light to deal with. The 2nd one is still working, but seldom used.

I went to BigLots in Dec. 2007 and saw the Full SPectrum lamps, with florescent bulbs (an extra bulb FREE with the floor model that was $29.99.) I liked it so well I bought 3 more. I use one to read by in my living room. I bought one table model for $24.99 that I have on my cutting table. I don't know what the light intensity is but it has a 4 tube bulb that can be easily replaces. I have not yet had to replace one bulb, but have all those spare bulbs for when the time comes. Prices may not be the same now, but they are GOOD lights for close work.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:10 AM

I love my Ott Lights. I cannot sew or read without them.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:33 AM
Power Poster

When Hancock's closed in my town and having the big sale, I was with other guild members at the sale and asked them why aren't you buying a bulb for your Ott lamp? Everyone said, my bulb hasn't burned out. ? I bought all the ott light bulbs they had after the manager said if I bought all of them I could have them for 90% off!!! I won't have to buy another bulb for my lamp at all, and have given several away. Now they are moaning about the bulbs being so expensive and won't bring their table lamps to workshops and sew days anymore thinking they may break a bulb. I toss my lamp in the car and don't have the hassle worrying about it or being short on cash for another one. The original bulb is still working!