Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Turn To Seek Advice >

My Turn To Seek Advice

My Turn To Seek Advice

Old 02-17-2012, 10:41 AM

Great advice thanks to all you fantastic ladies
Old 02-17-2012, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Suzbo View Post
I would leave it as is - after all, we are not perfect. Did you know that the Amish will make a mistake in their quilts on purpose? Their reasoning is that only God is perfect. I use that quite often - my work is Amish - LOL.
I love that!!
Old 02-17-2012, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SandyQuilter View Post
Forgot to say. Never, EVER just cut binding without measuring and starting sewing from one end to the other. This is a sure way to have wavy edges and the quilt to be out of square.
SandyQuilter
YEP! And you generally measure across THE CENTER of the quilt - not the edge. OR measure across the center and the edges and average the measurements.

Before I bind my quilts I lay them in halves both directions to see how much they are off (if at all). If it's just a bit (and I consider 1/4" a bit) and trimming would mess up the pattern, I accept that it is off by a bit and move on.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:29 PM

Okay ladies this is what I did. First I waited until the dog went to bed for the night (he's an English bulldog so he sleeps about 23 hours a day (nice, hehe)). Then I put the quilt on a sheet on the floor. I appreciated the advice that it wasn't so far out in its measurements. I never considered that 1/4" or 1/2" is still okay, if not entering a judged show. Anyway, I laid it out and it was flat. I could see one place that looked like it needed a little shave. And that's all I did. Charisma did a wonderful job of taking the top quilting to the edges so I didn't need to baste the edges either. I'm in process of binding now and I'm one of those who enjoy binding. Love the quiet time and watching the final touch complete a long and arduous labor.

You are all greatly appreciated!

Natalie