Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My wife received a quilt that was done by her great grandmother

Quote Originally Posted by GRANNYMO
    peroxide applied with a qtip.
    yep, Doctor told me about use that. works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixedgearhead
    We are currently in N.C. And visited a relative who had possession of a lot of stuff that has been passed down from deceased relatives. She was given two things of imense value to her. One was the large family Bible, from the 1900's and the other item is a quilt sewn by her great grandmother. The quilt is of the flying geese pattern in blue against a white background. Within that pattern is the name of the woman, her great grandmother, and her husband, her great grandfather, and the date 1930. The quilt is in pretty good shape, with one exception. In the very center is what appears to be a small spot of blood which has penetated through to the back side. I will post a picture of the quilt upon our return home. Needless today, my wife is absolutely thrilled. I am wondering if there are any good ideas for the removal of the blood spot, or whatever it is. I have had good luck removing blood spots from cloth with "zout" and other oxygenated cleaners, but I don't want to completely wash this quilt due to the age and importance of the quilt. Any ideas?
    John
    Before you try anything else (IMHO) ( I know it sounds wierd) I would try to spitting on it. Your wife should do it because it is from her family. There is something about the enzymes in the saliva and blood. She may have to do it alot, though. I have tried it on my quilts. And it works. I would hate to try chemicals on such old fabric. It wouldn't hurt to try. Good luck

Try saliva, your wife's might work best as the blood was probably her relative's. Please post a pic?

I am in agreement as I just removed blood from my carpet with Peroxide and it removed it beautifully and did not harm or bleach the rest of the carpet. Good luck, anxious to see the quilt, I love family memorabilia.

I have spotted with hydrogen peroxide and it just seems to 'eat' the blood up. It won't hurt it, so worth a try.

UNIQUE DISTRIBUTING…..”STAIN AND ODOR SOLUTION”

http://www.uniquedistributing.com/Un...r-Stain-Eater/

The product has an enzyme that will eat and nibble the blood and not leave a stain.....

Check this out!! They have a toll free number as well.

Be very careful with an old quilt. I found a quilt top made by my grandmother made in about 1920 for my mother but never finished. I found the top in a brown paper bag some forty years after my mother died, in 1984 and it was stained. I did everything wrong and tried all I could think of to get the blood stains out. WRONG MOVE I know now. Never wash or use any chemical but ORVIS a neutral soap to wash the quilt, and be careful. You can buy QRVIS at anyplace that sells farm foods for animals for it is used to wash horses and farm animals. This is what an archivist told me too late. Don't use WOOL LITE she said. But I'd done the damage and over the years parts of the quilt have continued to fade in the vegetable dyes blocks. This was a feathered star, hand sewn with a green star center of vegetable dye. I was not into quilting but had the quilt finished and hand quilted in Ozark, Missouri and love it anyway> Justme CA

As a nurse who used to wear white, and blood being a common occurrence, we used Hydrogen Peroxide...
    Michelle

Are you sure it is blood? Some wood acid (like a cedar chest or wooden drawer) leave dark brown stains. Doubt you will get an acid stain out. Good luck.

Are you sure it is blood? Some wood acid (like a cedar chest or wooden drawer) leave dark brown stains. Doubt you will get an acid stain out. Good luck.

I'd leave the blood stain as part of the history of the quilt. More harm than merit in trying to remove blood that old.

Be sure to use cold water. Warm or hot water will set the stain.

Another product worth considering is Carbona Stain Devils. They make formulas for various stains and one is specifically for blood and dairy. In our stores they are in the laudry isle in their own display rack--look for yellow bottles, about 3 inches tall. I have luck with getting blood out with that, Grandma's Stain Remover or H202 (peroxide). Sometimes on old, set-in stains, I will use all three. Definately want to get it all rinsed out after treating. If you don't want to get the whole quilt wet, lay the part with the stain over a bowl and maybe used a large rubber band or something else to get it tightly stretched and held in place. Then you can work on the stain, rinse and turn it over to work on the other side. Hope this makes sense. Of course, you will have to take it out to empty the bowl as it fills with water. I also use a soft bristled tooth brush to work on the stain as I'm using these products.

Blog Entries
    I work in the medical industry and you would be amazed at how the peroxide does work on blood. Even older stains. Go slow and steady, as this fabric may be more effected than newer ones. Good Luck!!!

I ruined a quilt by using peroxide to try and remove blood. I don't know if it was because the quilt was not prewashed and it reacted with the chemicals on the fabric, but I would test it first just to be sure. The peroxide ate through the fabric and bleached out some of the colored fabric. Be careful and TEST first!!!

Blog Entries
    The peroxide is the best way to start. It may take several trys. It is the simplest and involves the least amount of chemicals. do not use any hot water, it will set the stain if it is blood. Always use cold with blood. Good luck and looking forward to seeing this beauty! :thumbup:
    peace

Exactly, we got blood out of carpet, couldn't even tell

I've been successful with spray Oxiclean but not on stains that old. Blood stains will foam when the product is applied.

I use Orvus equine soap, it works great on fine material and on quilts, it even takes out the rust stain.

http://www.carbona.com/stain-devils/

Carbona stain products are specifically formulated for different kinds of stains, and I've tried nearly all of them. The Blood and Milk one works every time!

I can't wait to see the quilt! Sorry, no advise about the spot. I just received one that my grandmother made in 1930 also.

working on a scrappy UFO behind my Viking
    Blog Entries
    Oxyclean might work if U use a diluted amount

It may not actually be blood. Quilt historians refer to it as age spots. Try Grandma's spot remover. Not sure I would use hydrogen peroxide on an antique quilt. Not sure I would even try anything else besides Grandma's spot remover. Contact a quilt historian. You can google it or try going to AQS website and find a quilt appraiser. Although you're not actually having it appraised, they are usually very knowledgeable on preservation also. You might also contact a local quilt guild. There are usually very knowledgeable people there also.

Blog Entries
    I just remembered something I read a long time ago, Make a paste of meat tenderizer and apply to spot, keep damp.

I got blood out of a carpet that had been there 5 years using meat tenderizer.damp with a sponge sprinkle it on and let it set for a little while and wipe it up and if need be do it over again

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast