Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My wife received a quilt that was done by her great grandmother >

My wife received a quilt that was done by her great grandmother

My wife received a quilt that was done by her great grandmother

Old 10-17-2011, 08:59 AM

UNIQUE DISTRIBUTING…..”STAIN AND ODOR SOLUTION”

http://www.uniquedistributing.com/Un...r-Stain-Eater/

The product has an enzyme that will eat and nibble the blood and not leave a stain.....

Check this out!! They have a toll free number as well.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:16 AM

Be very careful with an old quilt. I found a quilt top made by my grandmother made in about 1920 for my mother but never finished. I found the top in a brown paper bag some forty years after my mother died, in 1984 and it was stained. I did everything wrong and tried all I could think of to get the blood stains out. WRONG MOVE I know now. Never wash or use any chemical but ORVIS a neutral soap to wash the quilt, and be careful. You can buy QRVIS at anyplace that sells farm foods for animals for it is used to wash horses and farm animals. This is what an archivist told me too late. Don't use WOOL LITE she said. But I'd done the damage and over the years parts of the quilt have continued to fade in the vegetable dyes blocks. This was a feathered star, hand sewn with a green star center of vegetable dye. I was not into quilting but had the quilt finished and hand quilted in Ozark, Missouri and love it anyway> Justme CA
Old 10-17-2011, 09:26 AM

As a nurse who used to wear white, and blood being a common occurrence, we used Hydrogen Peroxide...
Michelle
Old 10-17-2011, 12:06 PM

Are you sure it is blood? Some wood acid (like a cedar chest or wooden drawer) leave dark brown stains. Doubt you will get an acid stain out. Good luck.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:06 PM

Are you sure it is blood? Some wood acid (like a cedar chest or wooden drawer) leave dark brown stains. Doubt you will get an acid stain out. Good luck.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:08 PM

I'd leave the blood stain as part of the history of the quilt. More harm than merit in trying to remove blood that old.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:34 PM

Be sure to use cold water. Warm or hot water will set the stain.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:37 PM

Another product worth considering is Carbona Stain Devils. They make formulas for various stains and one is specifically for blood and dairy. In our stores they are in the laudry isle in their own display rack--look for yellow bottles, about 3 inches tall. I have luck with getting blood out with that, Grandma's Stain Remover or H202 (peroxide). Sometimes on old, set-in stains, I will use all three. Definately want to get it all rinsed out after treating. If you don't want to get the whole quilt wet, lay the part with the stain over a bowl and maybe used a large rubber band or something else to get it tightly stretched and held in place. Then you can work on the stain, rinse and turn it over to work on the other side. Hope this makes sense. Of course, you will have to take it out to empty the bowl as it fills with water. I also use a soft bristled tooth brush to work on the stain as I'm using these products.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:11 PM

I work in the medical industry and you would be amazed at how the peroxide does work on blood. Even older stains. Go slow and steady, as this fabric may be more effected than newer ones. Good Luck!!!
Old 10-17-2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by GRANNYMO
peroxide applied with a qtip.
I ruined a quilt by using peroxide to try and remove blood. I don't know if it was because the quilt was not prewashed and it reacted with the chemicals on the fabric, but I would test it first just to be sure. The peroxide ate through the fabric and bleached out some of the colored fabric. Be careful and TEST first!!!