Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: My WIP is winning

Senior Member Sarah in Brooklyn's Avatar

My WIP is winning

This baby quilt has been a nightmare to make. The piecing went fine, and I'm really happy with the pieced back I made. But the quilting was torture. The thread kept breaking. The pattern I thought would look so great looks awful. I am SO SICK OF IT!!! I doubt the new parents will notice all this but I feel very discouraged. If I had more time I'd start from the beginning, but instead I'm going to bind it and get it out of here and never think about it again!

Blog Entries
    Can you post a pic so we can see the quilt? I know I have had your exact sentiments...and I am sure the others on here can say the same thing...I also know that I am my own worst critic...Look at the bright side, once you bind it, its gone!! Then on to the next project!!
    K
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest~Mark Twain

I'll post when I'm done. I am proud of how the back came out! But I'll be glad to see the end of it.

Blog Entries
    My newest mantra: Done is better than perfect.

I like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post

So sorry this has happened. Can not wait to see pic. I bet is really a wonderful quilt!!!!!

look at what my signature says about perfection...
    "perfection is the enemy of done."
    "the secret to having it all is knowing you already do."

Rush88888, I love your signature lines! I should write those out on the board in my sewing room.
    @Sarah, I'm sure it is driving you crazy. But the parents will love it because was a handmade gift! They likely won't notice any if the things that are making you crazy.

I just had the same thing happen. The quilt went together perfectly...but the quilting drove me crazy. I started with the SID and it was so ugly I took it out - then did the shadow quilting and it started out like I was in the middle of an earthquake. Finally decided to just push on through. True to form no one else noticed but it drove me crazy. So I feel your pain and I am confident your quilt has turned out absolutely wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    So true! I need to remember this and stop getting stuck in fear...

There are times when just finishing the project is the important thing. Then you're free to move on to something else.
    Heather

Must be the day for bad quilting, I had the same problem with mine today a few puckers here and there. I am so mad with it but husband says it looks fine and you can not be perfect everytime. I think I should. We will do better tomorrow or on the next one.
    Earleen The best helping hand is at the end of your arm.

Some of us can be our worst critics... I bet when you post your picture you will find we all think it looks wonderful!!
    Amythyst

Blog Entries
    Snap. I have had a bad day . I was using the zig zag to quilt the edge of applique. Pink on the top brown below.( I know but it wouldn't show and I was in a hurry) finished zig zag was brown on top and no pink visible.
    Do it right first time.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Yup... I've had quilts like that, but honestly, even though I was underwhelmed with my own work the recipient was grateful and loved the gift (at least that is what they told me LOL!). We are our worst critics, as someone already posted, for sure! Hang in there, get it done, and gift it.
    “Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.” ~Scott Adams

Piecefully,
    Lisa

Difficult to tell without a picture but we are our most critical judges.

Some of them just do that to us. Aggravating as the devil, but they will love it.

I've got the same thing going on!! Too many puckers!. My SID is awful, had to go to plan "C" for a backing, added a border at the last minute and two blocks are 1/4 long, too late and I am so set on getting this down the road that I didn't fix. and that didn't help matters. I am coming to the conclusion my quilts will never be above average. Every quilt I make has a "live with" blunder. Maybe someday.... I am hoping since these fabrics are not pre-washed I will have some shrinkage and have that really antique look.
    Not to be totally hard on myself this was/is my first quilt to attempt SID correctly and using extra fine polyester thread and too large of a needle, this quilt has had a big learning curve for me..
    Doesn't help I have two quilts to do staring right at me, they are being quite distracting. Jeesh...