Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilt Journals?

Quilt Journals?

I was just curious. What are your reasons for keeping a journal about the quilts you have made?
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Blog Entries
    I don't know I'll be watching this for answers.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

I keep it to watch/note my progress. One of my goals in quilting is to learn something new, or try a new method or procedure with each new project. With the farmers quilt, I'm documenting blocks, dates, notes, etc., keeping track of what works, or doesn't work.

since i usually make up my own patterns, those are in my journal. also in there are fabric swatches and fabric measurements. i should add pictures of my quilts, but those are in my computer right now! i suppose one could add who they were given or donated to. i also add pictures of quilts that i see in catalogues i find attractive whether or not i plan on making them.
    "perfection is the enemy of done."
    "the secret to having it all is knowing you already do."

Power Poster
    Well I just received 3 quilts that I beleive are from my Grandmother and I would love to know the history. (Was it a gift, why she made it, date, etc......)

I keep a journal for the pattern, who I gave it to, for what occasion, that sort of thing. Plus a picture.
    SueDor

Blog Entries
    it's nice to look back & see some of the quilts you made years ago and had forgotten- it also helps me locate fabric i may be searching for, or remember why i don't like a particular batt-i haven't used in a while & find on sale. helps me keep track of who i've given quilts to, where donations have gone, time i've spent-in case someone contacts me wanting a particular quilt- i have a break down of what went into the first one. i can see how my technique has improved, how my styles/color choices have evolved. my granddaughter's and neices/nephew love looking through the journals- they too love to look back & see the quilt i made them when they were 4---then the one they got when they were 12...ect. and they talk about each other's and the circumstances of the gift- or the (group projects) we all worked on together- also helps me keep track of expenses, likes, dislikes, notes about problems- new techniques, hints, shortcuts...some quilts have alot of entry- some very little---but it's a nice record...and if i died today my daughter could look in the journal and know what was supposed to be happening with what i have laying around, finished and in the works- what goes where & why...
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I have given away so many that I forget what I made. So I keep a journal and in it write dates and reasons for doing them and what problems I had and who they went to. Maybe so I will recognize it when I see it under their dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Freckles48 View Post
    I have given away so many that I forget what I made. So I keep a journal and in it write dates and reasons for doing them and what problems I had and who they went to. Maybe so I will recognize it when I see it under their dog.
    I love that! Last month, I saw a picture of the quilt I gave a daughter for Christmas with her dog sleeping on it. She was telling me about a quilt I had given her the year before and I couldn't remember it at all. I looked back and there was a picture of the quilt. I started out just making photographs of my quilts; but have recently added information about making the quilt and the recipient. I still don't remember to whom I have given some quilts. I am so glad I have started the journal. Wish I had started it sooner.

dd
    When I give a baby quilt, I ask for a picture of the quilt with the baby on it. I get very few back. People don't print pics anymore. I try to take a pic before I give it too.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Started a quilt journal because I just couldnt remember what I have made over the years. wish I had started one earlier.
    Quilt outside of the box!

I just have photos of the quilts, and sometimes some notes about it. I should probably do more. I would like photos with the recipient. I also have a spiral notebook of graph paper where I sketch out ideas for quilts and blocks, plus a bunch of paper scattered around the house with the same. The notebook still has the cut paper version of the quilt that is my avatar.

I have photos of many of my quilts, but they were all filed by date the photo was taken, so they were hard to find. And older photos may not have been digitized yet.

Blog Entries
    I just like looking back to see what I have accomplished over the years. Also, so glad I did because the very first quilt I made was a cotton crazy quilt for my Mom who had alzhiemers, when I took it to my daughters house to show it to her, her special need child fell in love with it, I took a photo of him wrapped in it and pretending to be asleep. It is so precious. Well, now my Mom, my Brady, and the quilt are all gone, but at least I have the photo which I wouldn't have if I wasn't already working on the journal. You never know what is going to become a treasure to you and your family.

I have kept pictures of the quilts I have made. Just recently I have started keeping more info. seems memory of details fades and I just can not remember important details.

Blog Entries
    I don't do well with the record " option" in my think tank. I also have a hard time getting pics of folks with quilts. But I do OK at posting a photo on my FB album. I like looking at them again. Works for me!
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

We use ours to keep a search of every material we have used.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
    I was just curious. What are your reasons for keeping a journal about the quilts you have made?
    My husband suggested that i sign all my quilts, take a picture and keep an album. It wasthe best idea he has ever given me. I didn't realize I had made more than 60 quilts and given most of them away. But I always keep lots of digital pictures so hadpictures of all of them with the exception of some of the very first ones that I gave to others. I enjoy looking back to remember. I don't write a lot of detail, just date it was made, who is was given to, and a few sentences about the progression if it was unusual. You won't be sorry that you did this.
    Lizzy in La.

I keep one because its so easy to forget what quilt I made for who, and when. I don't include pics in my journal, although I do always take pix of my quilts. I list the date it was made, the fabrics I used, the pattern, and how I quilted it. Sometimes I draw the quilting design. It's also a good resource when I'm looking for a quilting design to use on a new quilt. Sitting down and looking at my journal is really like sitting down with an old friend and talking about good times. It's very enjoyable. In the back of my journal, I jot down pattern and quilting ideas, too.

Blog Entries
    I do journals to keep track of what I have done and to make a photo album. I can refer back to a quilt if needed to see how I made it in case i want to make it again. I is a good way to see who and why you made it. It really is a book to be passed on to your family.
    SMILE- it will make everyone wonder what you are up to.
    Stay strong and keep looking up.

Blog Entries
    I haven't been journaling but I am increasingly more interested in doing so. I want to journal about my quilting and about my vintage sewing machines that I have collected. Their history is so fascinating.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    I keep a notebook on everything I make. (sewing, knitting, or whatever). I started this in 2011. Fun to look back and see what all I have done.

I keep a journal, with photos, of the quilts I have made. Mine is just basic information, or longer details where needed. I measure the progress I have made in being a new quilter (began late 2009). Several are "special" in some way and I usually get misty eyed when I think of them. I made about 2 dozen the first 2 years, but have slowed down now. I like the piecing, but I use a professional to long-arm the quilts. Today I gifted the last two quilts to my dear grandson. You should have seen his face light up as he pointed out his cherished t-shirts! I hope we got a photo of him to include in my journal.

I feel like a part of me goes into every quilt I make and I actually miss them just a little each time they're gifted. It gives me a way to re-visit them every now and then and think about the person who was in my heart at the time.

I just take pictures of all the quilts I make. I should do a journal but so far haven't. I needed to ask my other kids the other day the size of their memory quilt because I couldn't remember what I had made them. However, thankfully I had my pictures and found the one I made for the last daughter who left home so I answered my own question.

As a newbie and self taught quilter, I find myself writing notes as I quilt - notes that describe the characteristics of the fabric I am using ( learned there is vast difference in the quality of fabrics), or jotting down tips when determining fabric yardage needs ie how many cuts I can achieve from a half yard cut, and every now and then a few insights to life enjoy

Blog Entries
    I started a sewing blog for most of the above stated reasons. I usually give most away and forget where I saw the pattern online. This way the object made and the site, link, or YouTube video is saved with the project. An e-journal of sorts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast