Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Journals? >

Quilt Journals?

Quilt Journals?

Old 02-25-2013, 12:55 PM

I am new to quilting and just joined this board last summer while working on my first quilt. One of the first threads I remember reading was about journaling quilts. I am just about finished with my 3rd quilt and I have taken pictures of the 1st two and jotted down notes as to who it was going to, when it was finished and what the ocassion was for making it. I like knowing I have this so later on I can go back and look and see how I have progressed with my quilting and hopefully I will get so many done it will be fun to go back and look at the first ever quilt I made!
I never thought about it for keeping up with other crafts, like BJGallent does for crochetting and knitting. I wish I could look back at some of the cross stitching I have done over the years.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:34 PM

I am also a scrapbooker, so when I began quilting I have recorded all my quilts in a 8x8 scrapbook. I take a photo of every quilt and the recipient. Each quilt is on a separate page. I add some fabric scraps and the date and reason I gave them the quilt. I also include the thank you notes I receive ... out of the 25 quilts in my book, there are 3 thank you notes (but that's another topic). I go through my scrapbook occasionally ... fun to look at the quilts and see how my skills have improved through the years.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:17 PM

I keep a journal of sorts, but just a picture filled one. I like to re-live what I have made, but dont keep writing down lots of information. I only make quilts for dear dear friends and family members so I know by the pics who I have given them to, and what I have done.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:31 AM

The same reason as a picture of anything - memories.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:47 AM

My quilt journal also includes details of making the quilt. The first part of my journal entry (2 facing pages in a really pretty spiral notebook) is the person, their favorite colors/theme/activity... I don't use patterns so I need to remember, from one day to the next, exactly which stitch and at what length and width, that I was using for each part of the quilt. I tape in any sketches or refer to rolls of paper which Staples enlarged to the size I needed for a template. I include the date, the person's name, and, if I get a card or thank you letter back I put that in.

I can't tell you how many times I have gone back to aspects of one quilt and put it into another. I also take pictures of my quilts (forgot to do a few, bummer) and I hope to get them all printed twice, one for my journal and the other for an album of my quilts. I'm working on #102 (I think), which isn't too bad for an old lady quilting for just 10 years who has arthritis and doesn't use patterns!!!