Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mystery Quilts - have you done any ? >

Mystery Quilts - have you done any ?

Mystery Quilts - have you done any ?

Old 02-19-2012, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Fabriclovr View Post
Wow, I would have been really disappointed as well, especially if I had to pay for it. I would have never expected to hear that all she did was sit in the back of the room. A teacher is supposed to do just that, teach! Even if it is a mystery, you should always be walking around answering questions and talking to the people that have paid to be there.

Although I can't walk around and talk to everyone, I can talk to you via this board when we do a mystery and if you anyone has a question, it is more than likely that others will have the same questions. With me being able to answer one, I answer all. Does that make since? Please don't let one bad experience turn you off from mystery quilts, they are fun to do if you like puzzles and quilts at the same time.

I am hosting another one April 14&15 here on the board called Blue Skies and I expect to have a large turn out, so it should be a lot of fun and a great way to celebrate the end of tax season! Click on over to the link or the link in my sig line and read all about it. Hope to see you then!
She did answer a few questions either from the very few walk-arounds she did or from her seat. The one thing I got from her is her suggestion that we go to the Dollar Store and buy a package of eyebrow razors to use in unsewing seams.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:54 PM
Power Poster

I didn't know you could get eyebrow razors at the dollar store ... will have to check that out , thanks for the tip
Old 02-19-2012, 05:04 PM

I am working on my 4th one at this time. Have given 2 of them away and have the first one on our bed at this time. The one I am working on now is SW colors and will eventully go on our bed as well. It is what Hubby wanted. Hope he likes it as he has no idea I am making it.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:09 PM

I have not done one and they sound like fun, but I just can't seem to get behind one. I started one of Bonnie Hunters mystery quilt, but lost interest. I guess I need to know where I am going to really keep motivated. And she had you cut triangle to piece hst instead of my usual method and I really didn't like sewing them that way.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:26 PM

I also love them. It gives me a reason to use some of the material I 'just had to have'. I try to do as many as I can manage.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:41 PM

No, do not have the time. Do not have the inclination either. Here is the biggie, do not have the Patience.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
I didn't know you could get eyebrow razors at the dollar store ... will have to check that out , thanks for the tip

i didnt know that either but they are $1 at the hair supply places also. i will check on this next time i am in the dollar store.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
i didnt know that either but they are $1 at the hair supply places also. i will check on this next time i am in the dollar store.
Actually, I think they are probably sold at any store in that price range. I bought them at the 99 cent store but I think they are only in a few western states. They usually blow out pretty fast and I am guilty of buying 10 packages to give one razor to every member of my quilting class.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:19 AM

I did the Aboutquilting.com mystery quilts two years in a row now. I do like doing them. [ATTACH=CONFIG]313821[/ATTACH]This is how it turned out. I learned a new sashing technique that was fun. Learned a bit more about dealing with pastels. yes, I am addicted to them. I am thinking of joining the one on the board that is coming up in April. Worse yet, i get addicted to doing challenges and contests.
Attached Thumbnails img_3177.jpg  
Old 02-20-2012, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
I did the Aboutquilting.com mystery quilts two years in a row now. I do like doing them. This is how it turned out. I learned a new sashing technique that was fun. Learned a bit more about dealing with pastels. yes, I am addicted to them. I am thinking of joining the one on the board that is coming up in April. Worse yet, i get addicted to doing challenges and contests.

is your quilt from the 2012 about.com mystery challenge? i was thinking about doing theirs also but i wasnt particularly fond of the one from last year so i passed. i do however like your quilt. if it is their current mystey quilt project, i will go take a look at it.